Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Old May 19th 2009, 1:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Wall.

Head.

BANG .. . .
Did you see my fishing rod and bait Stewart ?
Old May 19th 2009, 2:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
to each his own opinion.

but the guy who told me earns more in a year, than i probably will in my life.

cheers
Jerry
Oh, well, it must be true then.

Who was this guy? Tiger Woods? David Beckham? Roger Federer?
Old May 19th 2009, 3:03 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

dbd?
Old May 19th 2009, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am probably going to regret this because I suspect Novo knows a lot more about the oil business than I do, but still ...

The wholesale proce of oil has increased by almost 50% in the last few months. This suggests that the markets think global economic activity is on the up rather than down. I am not convinced that the wholesale price of oil has that much influence on the retail price of gas. However, if you do, then an increase in the retail price of gas does reflect a view than the global economy is ready to recover.

My opinion is that the retail price of gas is a consumer pricing issue: it is set at the lower of what the market will bear, or what maximizes the industry's profits. While some of the demand for gas is price inelastic, some is highly elastic. Prices are pushed upwards until the volume of sales decline. The fact that the price has gone up over 25% in the last few months suggests that people still have disposable income and sufficient confidence in the future to spend it. This confidence can spread to the housing market.

Not exactly scientific proof, I agree, but I don't think jerry's comments are complete tosh.
You overestimate my competence Jon.

I don't doubt that gas prices are fixed by the cartel to maximize profit, but a connection to (future) property values is tenuous to the point of uselessness.

For example: oil is priced in US$, so a significant factor affecting pump prices in Canada is the $/$ exchange rate; this does not affect Canadian house prices much, if at all.

As someone else mentioned upthread the major factor driving up crude prices last year was speculation as money moved out of property and related financial instruments and poured into oil futures. An anti-correlation here.

Moreover, at any time you'll find just as many "expert economists" saying "black" as you will "white". None of them have the first clue what they're saying when pressed. I've mentioned gaussian copula functions on another thread. If I had any lingering doubts about the abilities of financial gurus before, this sad tale of greed and stupidity put them to rest.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Hi
Did someone suddenly increase my wages without telling me.
Like all things time will tell, if he was right or wrong.
cheers
Jerry