Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian property prices

Canadian property prices

Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian property prices

Originally Posted by dbd33
That may have been true before the advent of HMOs but it sure aint now.
oooh good point.

For all it's private and shit, my US friends are regularly complaining about not being able to get doctor they need cos of network issues, paperwork, arguing with some minion about having their claim denied, etc etc

it just seems, as an outsider, like a chronically inefficient, badly run system which rewards bureacracy, obsfucation and lack of integrity. In other words, it sucks.

Those are the friends that have insurance. The rest don't and they just don't get care.

When in Arizona, we got talking to some long-time Home Depot employees. Due to obamacare changes (allegedly) their hours are being cut to below a certain amount where HD doesn't have to provide health insurance for them anymore. Nice system. Nice way to kick the older, less healthy people.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Iit just seems, as an outsider, like a chronically inefficient, badly run system which rewards bureacracy, obsfucation and lack of integrity. In other words, it sucks.
In the bad old days, people just paid for their own healthcare. Then the US government -- in WWII, I believe? -- imposed wage controls, so companies could no longer increase wages for their employees. Needless to say, they just began giving them benefits like health insurance instead.

The health insurance market is heavily controlled and regulated, and businesses have to keep paying the premiums or tell their employees that they're no longer getting health insurance. As I understand it, some states limit insurance company profits to a percentage of spending, so they have every incentive to spend as much money as possible so they can make more profit; rather than, as you would expect, the companies wanting to keep healthcare costs low, they want healthcare costs as high as possible, because that means they can make more money. Others invest the float in the stock market, so again they want to spend as much as they can to maximise the size of the float.

So, yeah, it's a disaster. Fortunately it's so out of control that the whole thing is going to have to be fixed before long.

When in Arizona, we got talking to some long-time Home Depot employees. Due to obamacare changes (allegedly) their hours are being cut to below a certain amount where HD doesn't have to provide health insurance for them anymore. Nice system. Nice way to kick the older, less healthy people.
Yes, thanks to Obamacare, the cost of employing people now increases substantially at 30 (I think?) hours a week. So low-paid workers are seeing their hours cut to avoid it. This was such an obvious consequence of the law that I can't see how they didn't intend it.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
The high amount of spending on health care is a mixture of America being generally speaking an unhealthy nation and also a culture of US doctors and hospitals in general seeking to maximize their charges to the insurance companies.
At least they don't have "Death Panels" in the US like they do in the UK.

Oh, wait, that was just lies put about by the Republicans and the pharm industry.

When in Arizona, we got talking to some long-time Home Depot employees. Due to obamacare changes (allegedly) their hours are being cut to below a certain amount where HD doesn't have to provide health insurance for them anymore.
From what my step daughter says, Homesense here (Winners etc) has the same policy, hiring more staff to keep individual hours down.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Housing market in most countries is a bubble and like all bubbles it will eventually get popped. Housing markets never go straight up look back in history. Be carefull what you invest in
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:46 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Housing market in most countries is a bubble and like all bubbles it will eventually get popped. Housing markets never go straight up look back in history. Be carefull what you invest in
too much of a generalization, at least in Canada. Prices in NB, NS and other areas are hardly in a bubble. What about Thunder Bay or Windsor, Ontario. There are very specific places in Canada that are $$$, so that indicates there is a demand/supply isse as well.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 27th 2013 at 5:57 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

too much of a generalization, at least in Canada. Prices in NB, NS and other areas are hardly in a bubble. What about Thunder Bay or Windsor, Ontario.
Same as every country no housing market is Nationwide, tell you what though Vancouver has a very long way to fall
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:23 pm

Same as every country no housing market is Nationwide, tell you what though Vancouver has a very long way to fall
well then, if a housing market is not nationwide, ergo housing bubbles are not national.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

well then, if a housing market is not nationwide, ergo housing bubbles are not national.
Who said hey were? I was generalizing when I said Canada do you expect me to list very region
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:36 pm

Who said hey were? I was generalizing when I said Canada do you expect me to list very region
okay Mike.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:34 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently looked at a house here in Australia. Three bedrooms, 30 minute drive from CBD, no back garden (I mean no back garden, just a metre-wide strip at the back for storage) and it was $420,000. I'm betting it's more expensive than BC, even though BC is one of Canada's most expensive areas, but we live in one of Australia's cheapest areas.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I recently looked at a house here in Australia. Three bedrooms, 30 minute drive from CBD, no back garden (I mean no back garden, just a metre-wide strip at the back for storage) and it was $420,000. I'm betting it's more expensive than BC, even though BC is one of Canada's most expensive areas, but we live in one of Australia's cheapest areas.
rural 100 mile house location in BC is one of the best places on the planet to live

http://bc.onepercentrealty.com/listi...etails&start=2
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:02 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
rural 100 mile house location in BC is one of the best places on the planet to live

http://bc.onepercentrealty.com/listi...etails&start=2
It does look nice, but unless I've got the wrong place, this is 500 kms from Vancouver. If you were to go 500 kms from an Australian city you could get much more for your money than my previous example, to be fair.

This is a quick example I just found about 300 kms from Brisbane.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...rnon-114435287
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:58 am

Where was that, if you don't mind me being nosey?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:35 am
Banned

Where was that, if you don't mind me being nosey?
Adelaide.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:43 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Adelaide.
I'm going off the idea of purchasing my own property, when my utilities are all included in my not too expensive rent, and I'll lose more paying bills on top of a mortgage etc.

Besides, when we get old they'll take our homes off us anyway, which pays for us to live in senior housing along with our pensions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.