Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Politics For Dummies

Canadian Politics For Dummies

Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Politics For Dummies

Originally Posted by jimf
What are the other options for Canadian magazines?
I don't know of any, part of my reason for ignoring Canadian news is that British or American news is described with more style.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rasputin
Since I am planning on living there I suppose I better get a least a basic grip on the politics.
Originally Posted by jimf
What are the other options for Canadian magazines? Thought I'd try Macleans as the Canadian alternative to Time/Newsweek/Economist.
Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know of any, part of my reason for ignoring Canadian news is that British or American news is described with more style.
There is much to be said for ignoring it, seriously, there is nothing much you can do to influence events, and reading about them will just piss you off I suspect

I glance at the globe and mail online from time to time, but I do wonder why I bother most of the time. The Guardian and Times are better written and offer better footy coverage
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

This may be completely wrong and off-base, but one impression I've gotten about the Tories and the Liberals is that the Tories have historically taken the view that what's best for Canada is to suck up to the superpower of the day (Britain prior to the Second World War and the US after it) while the Liberals view is that their best course of action (and therefore by extension Canada's) is to pursue a more independent line (as seen when Laurier, Pearson, Trudeau etc. were in power). Of course, that's just me looking in from the wrong side of the Pond, so I might be talking a load of rubbish.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Whomever is in power sucks up to the superpower of the day! Canadas economy depends heavily on exporting resources to the US after all. Its all a question of degrees after that.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Your local (municipal) council will have more affect on your day to day life than politics writ large(ish).

There's a serious lack of vision in Canada right now - though Canuck politics wasn't always dry and dusty. For instance Sir John A. McDonald (the Father of Confederation, and a famous drunk) fired a cabinet minister because "there's not room for two drunks in this government, and I ain't quitting!"

If you want to learn about canuck politics through a cyncial and humourous eye go to youtube and check out Rick Mercer

Last edited by triumphguy; Aug 18th 2009 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by triumphguy
If you want to learn about canuck politics through a cyncial and humourous eye go to youtube and check out Rick Mercer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yi1yhp-_x7A
Thread done then? I cant think of anything else anyone would need to know
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

First thing I got when I landed...Canadian History for Dummies. It's a great read and covers political history as well as lots of other, more interesting stuff.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Same in BC. The Liberal Party of BC (which has nothing to do with the federal Liberal party)
Thats because a few years back the conservative party of the day (Social Credit) self destructed and all the members went running off to the Liberal party.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Thats because a few years back the conservative party of the day (Social Credit) self destructed and all the members went running off to the Liberal party.
Splitters
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The Guardian and Times are better written and offer better footy coverage
The Times on-line may not be free for much longer.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

To understand politics in Canada you have to start at the discovery of the place and the wars between France and Britain that spilled over to the colonies. New France (Quebec) and Acadia (Maritimes) were obviously french until concurred by Britain. Acadia was concurred first and the Brits of the day rounded up and expelled the Acadians and renamed the place Nova Scotia, Then New France was concurred and later divided into Ontario and Quebec. Then came the American revolution and the loyalists mostly settled in what is now New Brunswick which was carved out of Nova Scotia. PEI was sort of it's own mini colony and served as a North American vacation destination for the upper class brits of the day.

The 3 Maritimes provinces often discussed unification and were separate colonies from each other and from Upper Canada (Ontario) and lower Canada (Quebec). After the American civil war the Brit government sought to unite the colonies in order to provide a stronger state against the US. The Maritime colonies had planned meetings in PEI to discuss unification when the discussions turned to uniting with Ontario and Quebec. Many Maritime politicians disliked the idea as they were nervous about being dominated by the populations in Ontario and Quebec and cutting themselves off from their natural trading partners and in many cases ancestors in the New England states. Sadly, they were proven correct.

In 1867 Canada was formed and the colonies of Manitoba, BC, and PEI joined soon after. Then the railway and the race to colonize the west took place and lead to Alberta and Saskatchewan and the expansion of some other provinces and eventually Newfoundland joined after WW2.

So we are left with a big ass piece of real estate with essentially 8 different countries including the territories. As you may have noticed with the EU, it is not always easy to get everyone to agree. Canada needs to have a loose federal government with provinces making the bulk of the decisions. This is sole biggest political challenge Canada has and it seems everyone outside of Ontario see's this.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
To understand politics in Canada you have to start at the discovery of the place and the wars between France and Britain that spilled over to the colonies. New France (Quebec) and Acadia (Maritimes) were obviously french until concurred by Britain. Acadia was concurred first and the Brits of the day rounded up and expelled the Acadians and renamed the place Nova Scotia, Then New France was concurred and later divided into Ontario and Quebec. Then came the American revolution and the loyalists mostly settled in what is now New Brunswick which was carved out of Nova Scotia. PEI was sort of it's own mini colony and served as a North American vacation destination for the upper class brits of the day.

The 3 Maritimes provinces often discussed unification and were separate colonies from each other and from Upper Canada (Ontario) and lower Canada (Quebec). After the American civil war the Brit government sought to unite the colonies in order to provide a stronger state against the US. The Maritime colonies had planned meetings in PEI to discuss unification when the discussions turned to uniting with Ontario and Quebec. Many Maritime politicians disliked the idea as they were nervous about being dominated by the populations in Ontario and Quebec and cutting themselves off from their natural trading partners and in many cases ancestors in the New England states. Sadly, they were proven correct.

In 1867 Canada was formed and the colonies of Manitoba, BC, and PEI joined soon after. Then the railway and the race to colonize the west took place and lead to Alberta and Saskatchewan and the expansion of some other provinces and eventually Newfoundland joined after WW2.

So we are left with a big ass piece of real estate with essentially 8 different countries including the territories. As you may have noticed with the EU, it is not always easy to get everyone to agree. Canada needs to have a loose federal government with provinces making the bulk of the decisions. This is sole biggest political challenge Canada has and it seems everyone outside of Ontario see's this.
I'm sure the british used violence rather than getting agreement from the french. I think the word you might want is conquered
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm sure the british used violence rather than getting agreement from the french. I think the word you might want is conquered
heheh, the french did concur after some convincing.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My grasp on politics is shaky at best, and I was wondering about Canadian politics and how to get to grips with it, so thank you for asking this question!

Now all I've got to do is try and understand it...............
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The thing about Gordon Campbell is that he at least he behaves relatively statesmanlike.
Hahahaaaa

Yes, dear old Gordo. Not only did he get pissed up, drive home and nicked, he then lied about how much he'd had. 3 glasses of wine my 'arris. Very statesmen like.

Last edited by Londonuck; Aug 19th 2009 at 7:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.