Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian phrases that don't mean what the say

Wikiposts

Canadian phrases that don't mean what the say

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:04 am
Glaswegian

The point is that you can only have conversations like that with a Canadian - I've convinced Londoners that a haggis was a real animal before, but that does actually take a little bit of effort.

I'm a Glaswegian - I've been asked if I'm Polish before.

Australian, South African and Irish I can accept as plausible alternatives, but Polish really got me.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Glaswegian
The point is that you can only have conversations like that with a Canadian - I've convinced Londoners that a haggis was a real animal before, but that does actually take a little bit of effort.

I'm a Glaswegian - I've been asked if I'm Polish before.

Australian, South African and Irish I can accept as plausible alternatives, but Polish really got me.
It really got you? I mean it bothers you that much? My Canadian wife here in the UK has been asked if she is from, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, South Africa and the US of course. It just makes her giggle.

I'd suggest that sitting in a bar and making up stories to a complete stranger is not clever and not the best way to get along.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:16 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Nonsense! You couldn't have had many conversions with Americans then.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:21 am
Glaswegian

It really got you?
Was I speaking Canadian there??

By got me, I mean it made me laugh.

I'd suggest that sitting in a bar and making up stories to a complete stranger is not clever
It depends, it can be quite amusing

Not too many - one of the guys I worked with was from the states, when he first heard of the May Long weekend he thought it was some sort of ethnic Vietnamese celebration.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by oceanMDX

A good point!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

nydeidith is an unknown quantity at this point

Well..everyone uses "how is it going?"...but nobody cares about the answer...sometimes i find so annoying i'll just mumble something...and they'll presume that i said something like "good"..if they dont care.. why bother asking?

Im from singapore and i dont speak english like north americans do, but im sure my accent is not that difficult to understand...but i realised that most people dont bother to listen..they'll pretend they are listen and then reply with..."whats that?!" or "pardon me?"...initially i thought my pronounciation was bad but then i realise these people are just not listening
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

This is more American:

'Oh, that's awwweesssoommmme'

Meaning - don't bore me with this sh**!

'Isn't that amazzzing?'

Meaning - dude, where's your talent?

'Isn't she so priddy (pretty to you and me)'

Meaning - I've seen a dead dingo look more stunning!

'I have to take the car, the mall is too far away'

Meaning - It's less than 500 yards away - oh but that is a long way, silly!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thingamy
OH REALLY! : I have no interest in anything you are saying!
A conversation between two strangers in a bar somewhere in downtown Toronto:

Thingamy: Hello
Canadian: Hi
Thingamy: lovely weather we are having
Canadian: yes
(At this point the Canadian realises: this other guy talks funny)
Canadian: are you from Yugoslavia?
Thingamy: No I come from Scotland.
(At this point thingamy realises he is talking to a Canadian)
Canadian: OH REALLY!
Thingamy: yes really
Canadian: what are you doing over here?
Thingamy: I am training to be Scotland’s first ever astronaut
Canadian: I never knew Scotland had astronauts
Thingamy: They don’t I will be the first
Canadian: that’s really awesome man......... like.........emm..............what are you doing at the moment man.
Thingamy: for now I am just a space cadet
Thingamy: no I am sitting here ripping the piss out of you in order to satisfy my selfish desire to entertain myself.
Thingamy: yep really, it’s been great talking to you goodbye.
Canadian: cool man.
After step 3 or 4 any intelligent person would have recognized a polite brush off!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:21 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by flashman
After step 3 or 4 any intelligent person would have recognized a polite brush off!
Perhaps that conversation could only have happened with a Brit?
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:15 pm
Glaswegian

Probably ....

Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:30 pm
Glaswegian

Originally posted by crazydaisy

'Oh, that's awwweesssoommmme'

Meaning - don't bore me with this sh**!

'Isn't that amazzzing?'

Meaning - dude, where's your talent?
Best tell my wife to stop using these at school then! Do five year olds understand the true Canadian meaning?

So what does "Cool" mean?

These three are my wife's stock answers to a child when nothing else is obvious? Of course it is debatable whether the kids understand what she has said!

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:47 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

"Cool" has several meanings....

Said with enthuisiasm - That's great!

Said quickly on a down note (more like "coo") - Right.

Drawn out "cooooool, cooooool" - I'm listening, that's good, go on.

It's cool - no worries, mate

...and last but not least... It's cool - It's chilly

Siren
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:42 pm
Velouria

Originally posted by nydeidith
Well..everyone uses "how is it going?"...but nobody cares about the answer...sometimes i find so annoying i'll just mumble something...and they'll presume that i said something like "good"..if they dont care.. why bother asking?

Im from singapore and i dont speak english like north americans do, but im sure my accent is not that difficult to understand...but i realised that most people dont bother to listen..they'll pretend they are listen and then reply with..."whats that?!" or "pardon me?"...initially i thought my pronounciation was bad but then i realise these people are just not listening :confused: :confused:
it may be just me, but i found that happens in most places. in britain its the infamous 'y'alright?' which baffled me the first time i heard it. i replied 'yeah... why do you ask?' (as in canada, 'you alright?' is usually asked if the person just fell off a bike, or something...) but people here often say 'y'alright' or 'watch'ya' (???) and dont really care what the answer is, just saying it out of politeness.

i know if i ask 'how's it going?' i usually care about the response, hangnails and all! if i didnt, id just say 'whatever...' or not ask at all ;)

Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

This is more of a US one I see on US tv:

For 3 easy payments of $19.99 you can own our product....

If you are so poor that you have to make payments on an item that only costs 60 bucks, then the 3 payments are going to be bloody difficult.

The best one from US is:

Buy one bottle of miracle pills, get a second one free. Will cure baldness and let you lose 10 pounds a day without dieting. 100% money back guarantee excluding s&h."

price per bottle: $10
s&h: $30
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Oops.. I must be in the American Bashing thread... I thought I clicked "Canadian phrases that don't mean what they say"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.