Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian personalities in and out of the office

Canadian personalities in and out of the office

Old Sep 24th 2006, 1:11 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian personalities in and out of the office

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're writing about the attitude of women in the workplace toward other women in the workplace, I can't know about that. What I do know about is the attitude of men in the workplace here (Toronto, software industry) toward women and it is, generally, that they have no place cluttering the office where men are trying to work.
True, unless I grow a set of some overnight, I can't say what the othewr side's perspective is on it... sorry DB, only realised today that your a man by readin the "meet & greet" thread *lol*
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

problem employees? Maybe they just aren't getting enough sleep? And it isn't because of bedroom romance either.

http://www.canadianhrreporter.com/lo...ArticleNo=4684
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:02 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

I'll put my flame proof pants on for this even though I am asking a genuine question....

My experience of Canadians (only holidays and research trips) is that people are in general very friendly - I think much more so than in the UK. I did have one person in a hotel bar in Truro, NS who did their best to ignore me everytime I tried to order though. She was rude/off by even the worst UK standards.

So my question is, people seem very nice outside of the office but there are plenty of stories of how badly some people are treated by Canadian employers. Do you think once in the office, with a bit of power, demon egos surface or is it that business is so up and down that any excuse is used to fire people?

Chinnybloke
This is a bit over-generalised. I wouldn't say I noticed it significanlty more or less friendly in Canada, and the longer I've been here, the more similar I find it to Britain. You should avert putting down your country (if you come from one - UK not being one) on the basis of very brief trips to a tiny part of Canada. I've seen as much rudeness (especially in asian orientals), and the road rage here (BC) is abysmal. There's just as many nutters and junkies as anywhere, and although it appears safe, there's muggings, stabbings, abductions etc. My wife was attacked in a store, and they didn't do jack about it.

Your question about office experiences will lead to a range of responses from different people. I had a very bad experience in this respect, and felt that this would have been dealt with more ethically in Britain. In the work environment, Canadians can be very false, like Americans. This doesn't benefit anyone. Everything's awsome, you're the best... then you're fired. Again, my isolated experience, but I'm sure not unique
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:56 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i've enjoyed this thread. after deciding i'd allow mrs g some time away from the sink and the extra rifle polishing duties she'll encounter in AB., it was nice to see that women are treated properly in canada. that is, as washers, ironers, child carers and general slaves to the their masters, the men.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:31 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Yes, I would agree, even constructive criticism can be hard to take. Watch for hissy fits, bitching, sulking, tears. Give great consideration to the weight of your words when communicating. Expect meetings with little dynamic and low input. Whoever would wish to offend anyone, even the office bully might get upset. Brushing issues under the carpet is a given.

Rich.
Spot on Rich, not being interested in playing the political game at work its took me a few months to notice this behaviour. The company brown noser's boss happens to sit close to me so I also have the pleasure of him to add to my daily p*ss boring, no action meetings.

Oh and its charity week at the moment. Should've seen the Office
"Popular Girls" face when I told here I wasn't signing up for a direct deposit contribution each month as I already contribute to charities of my choice.

It'll obviously get back to the grown ups, but **** em !!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i've enjoyed this thread. after deciding i'd allow mrs g some time away from the sink and the extra rifle polishing duties she'll encounter in AB., it was nice to see that women are treated properly in canada. that is, as washers, ironers, child carers and general slaves to the their masters, the men.
Ah, but men pay for it. There's a very much publicised divorce in progress at the moment, Tie Domi, a former hockey player, is being divorced on the grounds of his adultery (I'm not sure that adultery is even grounds in the UK anymore). According to the Sun, his wife is asking for 70% of his salary in spousal support; not child support but as a lifetime stipend for having done his washing and ironing during the period of the marriage. It's a negotiation, of course, but this is the usual opening number; she'll settle for half forever.

It's nice that the tax system in Canada encourages mothers to stay home, and supporting five women over fifteen years is not something I could have done at home, but there are some downsides to being a man in such a society which has such fixed views of gender roles.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Oh and its charity week at the moment. Should've seen the Office "Popular Girls" face when I told here I wasn't signing up for a direct deposit contribution each month as I already contribute to charities of my choice.
I absolutely loath the moral blackmail practised by the United Way, their method is to sign up a supervisor or team leader and then to have him pressure his subordinates. All this so they can pay fantastic salaries to retired NDP politicians. Scum. Give them nuffink.

I always rub salt into the wound by telling them, truthfully, that I give to the Salvation Army.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:29 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I absolutely loath the moral blackmail practised by the United Way, their method is to sign up a supervisor or team leader and then to have him pressure his subordinates. All this so they can pay fantastic salaries to retired NDP politicians. Scum. Give them nuffink.

I always rub salt into the wound by telling them, truthfully, that I give to the Salvation Army.
So Jim, you sussed it was United Way !

The method used here is exactly as you speak of. The co-ordinators are a split of the company wannabee high flyers who you can't but help think they are doing it for their own gain rather than charitable good, and the lazy b*****ds / office clowns who would do anything but work.

It all reminds me of celebrities who brag how much they "Do a lot of work for Cheeritee, mate"

Edit - The latest email of the day just received office bingo starting now, can't wait !!!

Last edited by Buchan6; Sep 28th 2006 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Added Text
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone else get the charity roadblocks? I haven't seen them anywhere but here.