Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:40 pm
  #16  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by alexisatk View Post
Rogers Sim Cards now cost $10. I just got one a month and a half ago.
That's what they have been for the past 4 years at least. The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:43 pm
  #17  
Pea Brain
 
R I C H's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: TBD
Posts: 5,990
R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.
If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.
R I C H is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:46 pm
  #18  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.
It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:54 pm
  #19  
Pea Brain
 
R I C H's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: TBD
Posts: 5,990
R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.
But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.
R I C H is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:00 pm
  #20  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.
The PAYG thing is BS, complete BS.

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:10 pm
  #21  
Pea Brain
 
R I C H's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: TBD
Posts: 5,990
R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
The PAYG thing is BS, complete BS.

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.
Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.
R I C H is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:23 pm
  #22  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
The PAYG thing is BS, complete BS.

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.
How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.
iaink is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:50 pm
  #23  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.
Originally Posted by iaink View Post
How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.
We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50
fledermaus is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:52 pm
  #24  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50
Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?
iaink is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:54 pm
  #25  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?
Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:06 pm
  #26  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.
iaink is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 151
Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by johngrimes View Post
Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!
Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
Eventually I opted for a 7-11 PAYG phone. The vouchers last 365 days,(I put 50 dollars on and there was already 5 dollars when you buy the phone ) don't get charged for receiving calls/texts. The Nokia phone is basic but I wanted the cheapest deal and believe me I needed those paracetamol after traipsing around the mobile phone stores!!!! My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.
Reidies is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:08 pm
  #28  
Every day's a school day
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Was Calgary back in Edmonton again !!
Posts: 2,666
cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by Reidies View Post
Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.
Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.
cheeky_monkey is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:27 pm
  #29  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.
Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.
iaink is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:40 pm
  #30  
Every day's a school day
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Was Calgary back in Edmonton again !!
Posts: 2,666
cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.
not really just pick up the leaflets and compare..they are pretty much the same when it comes to tarrifs and expiration times..you never gona save a bundle of cash to warrant wondering around for days and worrying over a few cents
cheeky_monkey is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.