Reload this Page >

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Originally Posted by alexisatk View Post
Rogers Sim Cards now cost $10. I just got one a month and a half ago.
That's what they have been for the past 4 years at least. The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:43 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.
If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.
It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.
But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.
The PAYG thing is BS, complete BS.

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:10 pm
Pea Brain

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.
Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.
Originally Posted by iaink View Post
How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.
We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50
Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?
Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johngrimes View Post
Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!
Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
Eventually I opted for a 7-11 PAYG phone. The vouchers last 365 days,(I put 50 dollars on and there was already 5 dollars when you buy the phone ) don't get charged for receiving calls/texts. The Nokia phone is basic but I wanted the cheapest deal and believe me I needed those paracetamol after traipsing around the mobile phone stores!!!! My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:08 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reidies View Post
Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.
Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.
Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.
not really just pick up the leaflets and compare..they are pretty much the same when it comes to tarrifs and expiration times..you never gona save a bundle of cash to warrant wondering around for days and worrying over a few cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.