Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:09 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

I have the PAYG Fido SIM since before I moved back here. I pay $10 a month, 30c minute, 15c text (I think). Because of the expiring credit its not really a PAYG, but a monthly plan. Only real difference is no contract term. I've rolled over enough credit now that I can use it quite freely if I need to, but will always be locked into the $10/month. That's about what I used to spend in the UK so can live with it.
A couple of ok features. Free voicemail that works ok. Free incoming texts (which bizarrely some monthly contract plans do not offer). Unlimited internet access for $1/day (useful for those odd times I need it).
Customer service is pretty crap but you can do most stuff online once its set up.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:23 am
Just Joined

downthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nicedownthepub is just really nice

We got a Rogers PAYG SIM tonight for $5, 25c per min for the first 5 minutes and then 15c per min after that, any time. Charged it up with $20 and it's working like a champ in our UK unlocked Nokia.

Initially tried to get a Speakout phone from 7-eleven, but then gave up after trying three different stores to no avail. Walked past a mobile phone shop in the Market Mall in Calgary and the Rogers PAYG SIM-only plan was the best value they had. Need a local number, and I decided not to flog the Speakout horse anymore.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Telus had an option where you bought a sim card for your UK phone then you could just take one of their contract plans ($30 per month minimum) BUT you did this on a month to month basis, no yearly (or longer) contract to sign. You could then use it whilst here then if you don't use it for 3 months no bills.

The only issue seems to be the phone must be a 3G or it won't work, and of course unlocked.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.
hi just found your thread on mobiles can i ask how you got on !we are landing in three weeks in ontario for a week and i wanted to do the same thing a phone would be handy. and of topic can you tell me what did the guys at the airport ask you when you landed did you tell them you where only staying for a week ?and what did you do with the forms for customs (,goods to follow)i dont know what to do we dont know what we will end up taking back yet.can you give us any advise we can send a private message if you wish cheers gaz.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz77
hi just found your thread on mobiles can i ask how you got on !we are landing in three weeks in ontario for a week and i wanted to do the same thing a phone would be handy. and of topic can you tell me what did the guys at the airport ask you when you landed did you tell them you where only staying for a week ?and what did you do with the forms for customs (,goods to follow)i dont know what to do we dont know what we will end up taking back yet.can you give us any advise we can send a private message if you wish cheers gaz.
Hi Gaz

I wish I could answer your questions, but we still don't "land" for another 2 weeks! It's driving us crazy now. We're all a bit tense and nervous; even the lists have lists!! There wa an excellent post on here in the last week or so about someone's experience of going through immigration for the first time. It is well worth looking up. From what I can gather, the general feeling seems to be to take every conceivable piece of documentation you can think of. Have 2 or 3 copies of goods with you and goods to follow. The IOs seem to appreciate us making the effoert to make their lives and working days easier. We'll be liaising with a couple of mortgage brokers and realtors as well so we have statements of credit worthiness from our mortgage firm and banks too. Seems to be the case that you can't have enough info!

I'll certainly put up a post when we have finally landed outlining our experiences.

Good luck!

Conal
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:27 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz77
The thread I referred to is called "goods to follow and other bits - our experiences
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Gaz

I wish I could answer your questions, but we still don't "land" for another 2 weeks! It's driving us crazy now. We're all a bit tense and nervous; even the lists have lists!! There wa an excellent post on here in the last week or so about someone's experience of going through immigration for the first time. It is well worth looking up. From what I can gather, the general feeling seems to be to take every conceivable piece of documentation you can think of. Have 2 or 3 copies of goods with you and goods to follow. The IOs seem to appreciate us making the effoert to make their lives and working days easier. We'll be liaising with a couple of mortgage brokers and realtors as well so we have statements of credit worthiness from our mortgage firm and banks too. Seems to be the case that you can't have enough info!

I'll certainly put up a post when we have finally landed outlining our experiences.

Good luck!

Conal
thanks for that i will have a look.we land on the 23rd. were confused has what to put on the forms,we are only taking a suitcase with cloths in it!

Last edited by gaz77; Oct 3rd 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

My OH uses Rogers pay as you go...and like a few others here, top-up with 100 bucks at a time.

She still had around 30 bucks left over at the last renewal which was added to the next another 100 buck credit.

We picked up our sim cards (new) on Ebay....for a couple of bucks.

As for unlocked phones...if comes down to what bands they are good for (from good old wikipedia):

"In North America, GSM operates on the primary mobile communication bands 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. In Canada, GSM-1900 is the primary band used in urban areas with 850 as a backup, and GSM-850 being the primary rural band. In the United States, regulatory requirements determine which area can use which band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

I have found a quad band phone a useful addition...great for dropping in sim cards from various places while travelling.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.
My friend at work just bought a Rogers SIM card she said it cost $10 - we were talking about her new to her Iphone that her boyfriend had unlocked and she had just gone and bought the SIM card. HTH.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

For those that can wait....and don't mind saving a buck or three.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

tomtatew is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to WalMart and had a choice of four providers in Calgary, Rogers, Fido, Bell and another I don't remember. Fido was 20c a call locally cheaper than the remainder.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by tomtatew
I went to WalMart and had a choice of four providers in Calgary, Rogers, Fido, Bell and another I don't remember. Fido was 20c a call locally cheaper than the remainder.
Can you go into Walmart and buy just the sim card with, say, $20 already prepaid on it? That's all I really need.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Can you go into Walmart and buy just the sim card with, say, $20 already prepaid on it? That's all I really need.
I believe Rogers is the only provider that uses SIM cards so you would have to go to Rogers, as I have already said my friend said it cost her $10 for the SIM card the other week.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:50 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Are Roger SIM cards available from everywhere or do you have to go to one of their own shops?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Are Roger SIM cards available from everywhere or do you have to go to one of their own shops?
hi some one sent me this link for sims
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.