British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian HR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-hr-575407/)

spaceace Nov 26th 2008 8:58 pm

Canadian HR

Hi,

What have your experiences been with Canadian HR - are they all slow and need the odd email to keep them focused?

I'm in a situation where I've had 2 interviews and they said they want to arrange a 3rd, but the trail seems to have gone cold......or am I being impatient?

TIA, S

Rich_007 Nov 26th 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Canadian HR

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013430)
Hi,

What have your experiences been with Canadian HR - are they all slow and need the odd email to keep them focused?

Yes they're slow as a blind sloth on a bad day but dispatching more emails will piss them right off.

Rule #17 of business - never hurry a Canadian. They twitch and their eyes roll in their sockets.

Generally, Canadian HR = oxymoron

R.

spaceace Nov 26th 2008 9:04 pm

OK, I guess I need to be patient, it's hard :blink:

Rich_007 Nov 26th 2008 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013447)
OK, I guess I need to be patient, it's hard :blink:

Patience is needed when dealing with Canadian businesses, generally speaking, in any realm manner or method. :unsure:

They move at the white lightning pace of the melting arctic ice mass.

R.

spaceace Nov 26th 2008 9:12 pm

I'm used to fast pace, tight deadlines and instant responses :eek:

Rich_007 Nov 26th 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013478)

Me too, it's what I do. Prepare for disappointment and frustration. Unless you get lucky.

R.

Judy in Calgary Nov 26th 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013478)

Prepare to enter the seventh circle of hell.

Or else go to Swaziland, a country that does not understand the urgency that maƱana implies. :)
x

spaceace Nov 26th 2008 10:01 pm

I take it, the pace it totally the opposite in Canada then?

Judy in Calgary Nov 27th 2008 3:18 am

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013676)
I take it, the pace it totally the opposite in Canada then?

Well, not totally opposite.

Swaziland is totally opposite.

But Canada is laid back compared with the UK. That seems to be one of the features of Canada that endears it to Britons when they come here on holiday (vacation). The only problem is that, if it's laid back when one is on holiday, it doesn't suddenly wake out of its stupour when one is job hunting.
x

Rich_007 Nov 27th 2008 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 7014298)
But Canada is laid back compared with the UK. That seems to be one of the features of Canada that endears it to Britons when they come here on holiday (vacation). The only problem is that, if it's laid back when one is on holiday, it doesn't suddenly wake out of its stupour when one is job hunting.
x

It makes one's job tough if it enters the realms of quality, efficiency, performance, project management, deliverables, etc.

It's great for the work-life balance aspect, but there's also some work to do, people.

R.

moondevil Nov 27th 2008 3:38 am

Get a large pillow/cushion and scream in it, get used to doing this

if you get the job, you maybe doing this alot ;)
We arrived mid-sept and have just got our health cards through...if you asked them where they are they get upset, so i let his employer do that for us.

apart from that - good luck with the final bit of the interview ;)

Rainey69 Nov 27th 2008 4:20 am

Originally Posted by moondevil (Post 7014317)
Get a large pillow/cushion and scream in it, get used to doing this
if you get the job, you maybe doing this alot ;)
We arrived mid-sept and have just got our health cards through...if you asked them where they are they get upset, so i let his employer do that for us.

apart from that - good luck with the final bit of the interview ;)

Totally agree, they don't like any form of confrontation. As Moonie said get a pillow, you will need it. On the up side, once you get into the way of thinking here......it's fab......no stress.

Good luck with it all and don't give up hope, they are probably still getting over the weekend/s

Rainey:thumbsup:

Souvenir Nov 27th 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 7013430)
Hi,

I'm in a situation where I've had 2 interviews and they said they want to arrange a 3rd, but the trail seems to have gone cold......or am I being impatient?

TIA, S

Generally speaking, Canadian HR is bloody slow. It can, however, move very quickly when it wants to. We are going through this at the moment. Souvette became aware, over a couple of drinks with mates, of a job opening less than two weeks ago. She starts in mid-December. And we're talking government here, possibly the slowest of the lot.

Tangram Nov 27th 2008 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007 (Post 7013441)
Yes they're slow as a blind sloth on a bad day but dispatching more emails will piss them right off.

Rule #17 of business - never hurry a Canadian. They twitch and their eyes roll in their sockets.

Generally, Canadian HR = oxymoron

R.

Agreed.

Madmac Nov 27th 2008 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7015706)
Generally speaking, Canadian HR is bloody slow. It can, however, move very quickly when it wants to. We are going through this at the moment. Souvette became aware, over a couple of drinks with mates, of a job opening less than two weeks ago. She starts in mid-December. And we're talking government here, possibly the slowest of the lot.

Yes, but she knows how to use the business end of a gun.