British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian Hospitals and Healthcare system (radiographer / Medical imaging technician) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-hospitals-healthcare-system-radiographer-medical-imaging-technician-855114/)

louise1007 Mar 23rd 2015 6:46 pm

Canadian Hospitals and Healthcare system (radiographer / Medical imaging technician)

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to in the near future move to Canada from the UK to work as a medical imaging technologist (radiographer in UK). I understand the job roles themselves have differences, some of which I think I know.
Such as typically more radiographic views are taken in Canada than the UK and in the UK we have a 'practitioner' role compared to a more 'operator' role in Canada.

However I would love a deeper insight into whether there are any major differences between Canadian hospitals compared to the UK.

I am looking to move to particularly Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa.

I am 22 and also will of only had 1 year and 4 months experience by the time I am looking to start employment, however I can't see any where that requires me to have more experience?

So 2 main questions I guess:
1. what are Canadian hospitals like/ their healthcare system?

2. Information about being a UK radiographer to Canada?

- Louise

PMM Mar 23rd 2015 10:49 pm

Re: Canadian Hospitals and Healthcare system (radiographer / Medical imaging technici

Hi

Originally Posted by louise1007 (Post 11600425)
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to in the near future move to Canada from the UK to work as a medical imaging technologist (radiographer in UK). I understand the job roles themselves have differences, some of which I think I know.
Such as typically more radiographic views are taken in Canada than the UK and in the UK we have a 'practitioner' role compared to a more 'operator' role in Canada.

However I would love a deeper insight into whether there are any major differences between Canadian hospitals compared to the UK.

I am looking to move to particularly Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa.

I am 22 and also will of only had 1 year and 4 months experience by the time I am looking to start employment, however I can't see any where that requires me to have more experience?

So 2 main questions I guess:
1. what are Canadian hospitals like/ their healthcare system?

2. Information about being a UK radiographer to Canada?

- Louise

1. You may want to start your reading here: Working in Canada

Any person holding a UK radiography qualification needs to contact The Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) to request further information on working in Canada. CAMRT is Canada’s national professional association and certifying body for medical radiation technologists and therapists across the country. It is the leading national body for the medical radiation technology profession.

For further information on working in Canada please contact CAMRT using the following contact details:
CAMRT > Home Page

Especially here: CAMRT > Internationally Educated Medical Radiation Technologists