Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian high school diploma ????

Canadian high school diploma ????

Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

British_boi_212121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian high school diploma ????

Okay I just moved to Canada with my family and in England I dont have A-levels, I found that I didn’t need them because I already had a good job in London that paid well.
Now that I live in Canada I’m finding that employers require at least a high school diploma which in England would be a-levels I think?

My question is at the age of 21 where can I take the Canadian high school diploma? (I live in Toronto), after that I would like to start university.

Thanks!

Last edited by British_boi_212121; Nov 14th 2004 at 10:54 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Canadian high school diploma ????

Originally Posted by British_boi_212121
Okay I just moved to Canada with my family and in England I dont have A-levels, I found that I didn’t need them because I already had a good job in London that paid well.
Now that I live in Canada I’m finding that employers require at least a high school diploma which in England would be a-levels I think?

My question is at the age of 21 where can I take the Canadian high school diploma? (I live in Toronto), after that I would like to start university.

Thanks!
I would contact some university admissions offices. I suspect that with GCSEs and work experience in lieu of A levels...you might be eligible to get straight in without the high school step.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:48 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Just sit the GED - gives you Grade 12 equivalent and is VERY very easy. Graduation here from high school is our GSCE O level equivalent - barely equivalent in some subjects too.

http://www.ilc.org/cfmx/CM/HighSchoo...ternative_id=5
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Hi British_boi,

If your ultimate goal is to attend university then I would recommend contacting the specific universities that you are considering attending and find out what their admission requirements are in the area that you to study.

You might find that your o-levels might be enough depending on how many you have, what they were in, how long ago you took them and what you plan on studying. You might (make that probably) have to take a few 'university transfer' or 'upgrade' courses. These you could take at a college or at the uni itself. The uni admissions would have the info. And many Canadians with high school diplomas have to do this as well especially if the courses they took to get their HS diplomas are in a different study area than what they're planning to study at university.

A GED is ok if you want to show you have the potential of a high school graduate (which is fine in terms of some areas of employment) but in the eyes of most universities it is not a high school diploma and is not accepted as such. If you're looking towards university, the GED is not the way to go.

In the meantime, if I was in your position, I would just tell your potential employers that you have the same thing as a high school diploma.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:48 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Link below is just an example of the requirement needed to attend this university in Toronto. They show the Uk equivalant needed grades required........

http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2004-2005/sec_21.htm

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:18 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hi British_boi,

If your ultimate goal is to attend university then I would recommend contacting the specific universities that you are considering attending and find out what their admission requirements are in the area that you to study.

You might find that your o-levels might be enough depending on how many you have, what they were in, how long ago you took them and what you plan on studying. You might (make that probably) have to take a few 'university transfer' or 'upgrade' courses. These you could take at a college or at the uni itself. The uni admissions would have the info. And many Canadians with high school diplomas have to do this as well especially if the courses they took to get their HS diplomas are in a different study area than what they're planning to study at university.

A GED is ok if you want to show you have the potential of a high school graduate (which is fine in terms of some areas of employment) but in the eyes of most universities it is not a high school diploma and is not accepted as such. If you're looking towards university, the GED is not the way to go.

In the meantime, if I was in your position, I would just tell your potential employers that you have the same thing as a high school diploma.

Telling the Universities that you have the same thing as a high school diploma will not cut it. "O" levels will give you no transfer credit to University, but call them and see for yourself. I rang every institution in BC and Ont that I coudl find in the phone book when we first got here (for my ex husband) and none would so much as look at his O levels as they were over 10 years old. A levels might get you credit depending on the subject and grade and when you took them. The point of a GED for UK immigrants is that you have a Grade 12 equivalent that costs you next to nothing and shows that you are more than capable (as hot wasabi peas said) of getting Grade 12. Getting equivalencies is really not as simple as it would seem.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:19 am
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk GCSE vs Canadian high school diploma ????

Originally Posted by dingbat
Telling the Universities that you have the same thing as a high school diploma will not cut it. "O" levels will give you no transfer credit to University, but call them and see for yourself. I rang every institution in BC and Ont that I coudl find in the phone book when we first got here (for my ex husband) and none would so much as look at his O levels as they were over 10 years old. A levels might get you credit depending on the subject and grade and when you took them. The point of a GED for UK immigrants is that you have a Grade 12 equivalent that costs you next to nothing and shows that you are more than capable (as hot wasabi peas said) of getting Grade 12. Getting equivalencies is really not as simple as it would seem.
for parents moving with kids
we just moved here from Uk with a 15 yr old who would have been doing GCSEs in UK july 2005
He went to a private ( fee paying ) school so the standard was Ok , but it wasnt a hot house and he has found that in English they are behind here at his age , have done no Shakespeaere and he had done 3 texts but here they are ahead in algebra and science so its kind of evened its self out
he likes the fact that you do one thing for a semester then different subjects next semester and if you did flunk it you just redo it and its one term / semester not 2 yrs of GCSES down to drain as in Uk
also doing same subjects each day rather than a weekly timetable if you are off sick its easier to catch up
There seems to be less pressure here and he is at an academic school where 80% go to uni but they all do football and drivers ed and dont have much work at weekend in Uk he didnt have any time for hobbies there was so much coursework for GCSE
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:08 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

This has helped answer my questions. My daughter is 15 and due to do GCSE's in May.
We really hope to get her in school in BC for September, but have not got any idea when visa will, or if, get processed, however we have to look on the bright side.

We are over in Bc in a couple of weeks to look around at schools and get an idea as to how she will fit in. Can I ask if your son is still at a private school?
We are wondering if at her age it might be more benficial to get her extra help to get her through the high school certificate. She and I do not want her to be put back a year.

Originally Posted by farmgirl
for parents moving with kids
we just moved here from Uk with a 15 yr old who would have been doing GCSEs in UK july 2005
He went to a private ( fee paying ) school so the standard was Ok , but it wasnt a hot house and he has found that in English they are behind here at his age , have done no Shakespeaere and he had done 3 texts but here they are ahead in algebra and science so its kind of evened its self out
he likes the fact that you do one thing for a semester then different subjects next semester and if you did flunk it you just redo it and its one term / semester not 2 yrs of GCSES down to drain as in Uk
also doing same subjects each day rather than a weekly timetable if you are off sick its easier to catch up
There seems to be less pressure here and he is at an academic school where 80% go to uni but they all do football and drivers ed and dont have much work at weekend in Uk he didnt have any time for hobbies there was so much coursework for GCSE
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gooding
This has helped answer my questions. My daughter is 15 and due to do GCSE's in May.
We really hope to get her in school in BC for September, but have not got any idea when visa will, or if, get processed, however we have to look on the bright side.

We are over in Bc in a couple of weeks to look around at schools and get an idea as to how she will fit in. Can I ask if your son is still at a private school?
We are wondering if at her age it might be more benficial to get her extra help to get her through the high school certificate. She and I do not want her to be put back a year.
================================================

Yes he is still in a private school but its one funded by donations and the church . its Lutheran , they dont indoctrinate the kids though so it only costs us $3500 a year compared to $22000 most seem to cost in the big cities
We found it difficult to choose a school here , in Sask there are no league tables , kids just go to nearest school, there seem to be less "sink " schools
and this school has borders from abroad , mainly Hong Kong and Korea and New Zealand so we felt they would understand a foreign kid and be more tolerant
My experience of Private schools is they never measure up to the promises and place a lot of pressure on average kids to perform and keep up the grade average , although this one is better than most ( his math teacher returned my call at 8.15pm sunday wouldnt get that in UK ) so I would be inclined to find a home in a good area with a safe school and cough up for extra tuition
The problem with private schools whatever country you are in is that your child isnt at school with local kids so if they are trying to make friends be prepared for a lot of running them about until they can drive
I doubt shell have any trouble coping academically its just like changing schools anywhere , you have missed bits and already covered some bits of the curriculum He has been struggling with algebra but doing science and maths he did for key stage 3 in UK
We actually went and sat in a book store and read the self study GED manuals they give you an idea of the standard
re fitting in , you are such a novelty everyone talks to you so he didnt find it hard there was some teasing but it was lighthearted , one boy asked him what Jam was and he was explaining then realised it was a wind up and they all laughed. They only kid we know had trouble lived on a farm and started dressing like a cowboy "western wear " and got wound up , but to be honest would you let your 10 year old do that?

The exams that count are year 11 and 12 for a grade average for uni entry so i dont think they would put her back if she gets there in grade 10
good luck , tell her he loves it here , the kids are called students and its college and not school and feels much more listened to and valued than ever before by the teachers . Theres a lot less fashion, less image conscious and competion about material things , of course we are in regina which may be less trendy than BC!
when ever i miss family him being so happy makes it all worth while
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

British_boi_212121 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would like to thank everyone for their help..........

I also have nvq's (nvq level 2 in information technology) i wonder if that’s worth anything, in the next year or so i would like to attend university, maybe i'll take the GED

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I would contact some university admissions offices. I suspect that with GCSEs and work experience in lieu of A levels...you might be eligible to get straight in without the high school step.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:43 pm
Here and happy at last

One last link I have found which is quite helpful to evaluate credentials
http://www.cicic.ca/evaluation/indexe.stm
Good Luck

i would like to thank everyone for their help..........

I also have nvq's (nvq level 2 in information technology) i wonder if that’s worth anything, in the next year or so i would like to attend university, maybe i'll take the GED
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My son didn't go to university until he had been out of high school for maybe three years. I forget how long it has to be but at least in Saskatchewan you can get in as a mature student. I forget the exact requirements but you have to meet certain grade levels for the first year I think, or maybe its two years, I forget, or else they can kick you out.

I bet lots of provinces have the same thing for mature students and it doesn't mean you have to be 60 years old, it just means you have to have left high school a certain number of years before.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

HaMa is an unknown quantity at this point

British_boi_212121 ,

i would think your best option it to call the university, and tell them you want to apply as a mature student, i have a couple of friends who have done this and were in the same situation as you, left school after gcses, and now want to go back to studying, any work experience normally helps for applying as a mature student

HaMa