Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian healthcare versus NHS

Canadian healthcare versus NHS

Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian healthcare versus NHS

Originally Posted by dbd33
I borrowed mine from the hospital, no charge. But, anything fitted to a specific body is another matter.
And of course you returned them in a timely manner not like others
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I borrowed mine from the hospital, no charge. But, anything fitted to a specific body is another matter.
We had to buy hers, plus we will need to get an "air cast" too.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Havent Canadians always thought that the Brits have less than ideal dental hygiene when it comes to teeth?
I always thought that was more about shape and colour rather than hygiene. Natural as against fake

Originally Posted by iaink
I think one issue with the Cdn system is support services, like physio, are NOT covered.
My wife had weekly physio at one of the hospitals here.

On the other hand, my brother broke his leg in the UK and was on almost daily physio during his recovery, including home visits, that just wouldnt happen here, it would be prohibitively expensive after a while.
I had a toe problem here (absolutely no mobility issues - I actually had hospital appointments in between) and "extra mural" came to my home every other day for a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In hospital treatment is covered under (Ontario) OHIP, but once out, or if never in (like my frozen shoulder issue), then you are on your own, as with drug costs.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And of course you returned them in a timely manner not like others
What do you know about that?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What do you know about that?
Know about what? Am I aware that certain hospital patients who borrow crutches from hospital and do not return them then yes I am but have none in my home
About your personal injury then I know nothing about that nor do I need to or if you actually returned the borrowed crutches.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
so I wouldn't expect to be able to afford private health cover if I was living in Canada either.
The system is nationalized in Canada to a much greater extent than in the UK, if you want something better you have to go abroad. There are no private hospitals per se where you can get the operation done if you want to pay for it.

There are all kinds of add-on things, because optometry and dentistry are generally not covered except at a very basic level (e.g. free eye test every couple of years). Also prescription drug plans are something a lot of people get, especially if you have a chronic condition.

Healthcare varies considerably from province to province, because the law requires each province to have a healthcare system and cover certain things but each province gets a block grant from the federal govt. to help fund it.

Am I correct in thinking that you pay for healthcare in a similar way to paying National Insurance in the UK, via your paypacket as opposed to funding coming from general taxation. What happens with non-working people such as students, stay at home mothers and retired people?
NI goes into general revenue, this was the argument the UK used to defeat the claim for cost of living increases for people claiming UK pensions from abroad.

Some provinces have health surtaxes on income tax or some sort of health fee you have to pay, but it all goes into general revenue and is paid from there.

Everyone is covered, working or not. To the extent you get coverage at any rate.

Are there any glaring deficiencies where Canadian public healthcare fails miserably compared to the NHS. Are there any medical conditions or lifesaving treatments that are not covered? I am aware that prescription medicines can be more costly than in UK, but how much more are we talking? Are things like vaccinations and blood tests free?
Overall it's not as good as the UK, which is hardly surprising given that taxes are lower here. What narks me off though is that the Health Act makes private provision of services difficult/impossible, so you have to use it.

For example if you have a chronic condition, the prescriptions are covered by the NHS, not the case in Alberta. There are ways of getting discounts so it's not a huge problem and when I compare what I save in taxes to the additional cost of the prescriptions, I am better off.

And dental care. In the UK NHS dental care is reasonable and cheap (I don't get why people moan about the cost) but can be hard to find an NHS dentist in some regions.
Dentistry is not covered (unless you are poverty stricken, then you can make claims for some basic stuff). You need to buy a plan for that, especially if you have kids.

As a result you find an optometrist and dentist on every street corner (supposedly there's a shortage, but I think that's generally in rural areas), but getting a family doctor is really hard.

The problem I find is that Canadians compare themselves to the US, well yes, it's better than it is in the US because you can get coverage and prescription drug prices are reasonable, but compared to any major European country the healthcare system here is definitely inferior.

All kinds of silliness prevails, e.g. if you are a plastic surgeon, it is illegal to work in the public system and then do cosmetic surgery on the side, you can only do one or the other.

I remember talking to a nurse (yes a nurse) who had fallen down the steps of the federal building downtown and been taken to the ER with a broken ankle and they kept her lying on a gurney for many hours, I can't remember how long exactly but if you have a nurse who actually works in the system slating it...

One time I had a painful ear infection that was causing me disorientation, my GP was on vacation so I went to the clinic. The clinic was full, "come back tomorrow". Went early the next day - already full. Went to the ER, much annoyance that I hadn't gone to a clinic until I explained the situation. Sat there for hours until I got to see a doctor. And there were people sat around me in much worse shape who waited as long.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I haven't found the standard of dental care any different in Canada to what I received in England. I paid my dental care in England in full (non-NHS), a large proportion of my dental expenses are covered by insurance over here.
I find it to be substantially superior here, but then I'm paying a lot more. You get what you pay for. Dentistry is not something I've had that much of an issue with.

The "preventative" argument used in Canada is bullshit.
Preventative care is definitely worse in Alberta than in the UK. I told you my story about getting Lantus covered by ABC. Finally they did as a "preventative" measure. Oooh thanks, basic drug supplies that enable you to stay alive are now covered.

I have found care obtained on both sides of the Atlantic great, OK, and downright dire.
Overall though I'd say the UK is better than Alberta, in fact in the UK when they introduced the service-based levels of payment for GPs I think it got too good, I was constantly being harrassed to come in for some check up or other. I had one GP refuse to fill out a prescription because I refused to come in for a check up, I made a formal complaint to the NHS about her.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:18 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Dentistry in the UK if you are private is generally expensive. Root canal and a new crown - £1000. Mrs fletch has had the Rc done last week. Back in a few weeks to do impressions for the crown.

Miss fletch (15) orthadontics, 18 months total cost £2800. NHS will only touch it if the teeth are like something on an arab lady in a Abbott and costillo movie. Anybody remember that sketch? Very funny.

What I would like to know, hip replacements, done here FOC, not FOC in Australia, how about Canada?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Dentistry in the UK if you are private is generally expensive. Root canal and a new crown - £1000. Mrs fletch has had the Rc done last week. Back in a few weeks to do impressions for the crown.

Miss fletch (15) orthadontics, 18 months total cost £2800. NHS will only touch it if the teeth are like something on an arab lady in a Abbott and costillo movie. Anybody remember that sketch? Very funny.

What I would like to know, hip replacements, done here FOC, not FOC in Australia, how about Canada?
Hips and knees are covered by OHIP, but not the physio once out of hospital unfortunately.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Miss fletch (15) orthadontics, 18 months total cost £2800.
its still cheaper than in Canada
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:38 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
its still cheaper than in Canada
perhaps, but then a nurse is paid twice as much in canada.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hips and knees are covered by OHIP, but not the physio once out of hospital unfortunately.
That is not my experience or that of an acquaintance,who both have had orthopedic surgery. Out of hospital Physiotherapy was provided under OHIP in both instances.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps, but then a nurse is paid twice as much in canada.
I really don't think that's true. At least not based on comparing working in city centre trauma unit in one country vs. the other. Not that this has any bearing on the services available.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
That is not my experience or that of an acquaintance,who both have had orthopedic surgery. Out of hospital Physiotherapy was provided under OHIP in both instances.
Right you are, post operative physio is still covered. Just my physio that isnt then.

OHIP coverage changed a few years ago and physio was one of the victims, along with eye exams, but some is still covered, so just ignore my previous carping.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...iotherapy.html

Last edited by iaink; Apr 13th 2012 at 6:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.