Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Exchange rates

Wikiposts

Canadian Exchange rates

Old May 1st 2010, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Question Canadian Exchange rates

Hi all,

We have been watching the exchange rate closely and it seems to be much more healthy.

We were wondering if/how we could 'lock in' our savings at 1.49 CAD/GBP as we don't land until December....

We don't have a Canadian bank account.... is the only option to buy the dollars now and store them in a safe place??

Any thoughts on a much better option?

Thank you so much!

FS
Old May 1st 2010, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian Exchange rates

You can lock in rates using someone like Moneycorp or Halo, who can also give their view on whether they think the rate will get better/worse.

Have never tried it, so don't know the advantages/disadvantages or cost! Maybe someone who has done it will be able to give their opinion.

Regarding rates, a lot of people things will get better after the election - I'm no expert, but perhaps those who are will chip in.
Old May 1st 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kaye5
You can lock in rates using someone like Moneycorp or Halo, who can also give their view on whether they think the rate will get better/worse.

Have never tried it, so don't know the advantages/disadvantages or cost! Maybe someone who has done it will be able to give their opinion.

Regarding rates, a lot of people things will get better after the election - I'm no expert, but perhaps those who are will chip in.
Ooohhh.... Thats interesting, thanks Kaye.

Lets hope some others chip in!

Do you think this post should be in the general section perhaps?
Old May 1st 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi flyingscottie........not sure that I can grasp the true intent of your message

I have just checked the inter-bank rate for CAD v GBP....at the moment it stands at around 1.54......this is NOT a good rate......so how on earth can 1.49 seem good to you?????

Seems to me that you have your thinking cap on the wrong way round......you want to get as many dollars for your pound as you can

I should have thought that the best way to fix your rate for exchange in December is to speak with the various FX dealers and forward buy......they are able to give you a guaranteed rate for your time-frame...BUT.....there is a cost which they would explain to you....and you would be under contract to buy with no option to pull out!!!

I'm pretty confident that if you approached an FX company telling them that you want just 1.49 in December....they would snap your hand off!!! Take my advice....DON'T DO IT.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others on here who would offer advice to you....lets wait and see!!!
Old May 1st 2010, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Hi flyingscottie........not sure that I can grasp the true intent of your message

I have just checked the inter-bank rate for CAD v GBP....at the moment it stands at around 1.54......this is NOT a good rate......so how on earth can 1.49 seem good to you?????

Seems to me that you have your thinking cap on the wrong way round......you want to get as many dollars for your pound as you can

I should have thought that the best way to fix your rate for exchange in December is to speak with the various FX dealers and forward buy......they are able to give you a guaranteed rate for your time-frame...BUT.....there is a cost which they would explain to you....and you would be under contract to buy with no option to pull out!!!

I'm pretty confident that if you approached an FX company telling them that you want just 1.49 in December....they would snap your hand off!!! Take my advice....DON'T DO IT.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others on here who would offer advice to you....lets wait and see!!!
Thanks for the advice,

http://www.exchange-rates.org/history/CAD/GBP/G

It's getting better and we were worried that with the European (Greek) financial crisis it might go lower so we thought about getting some CAD now as an insurance....

Seems people think it will get better not worse mind you....how can you know?
Old May 1st 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
To add my five penny'orth to the discussion....the rate is so poor at the moment, that in my opinion, I would not lock into it now while it is so low.

If you lock in at 1.49 and for arguements sake change £100,000 in $cdn you would get $149000.......If it then goes back up to 1.89 for arguements sake...you would get $189000 a massive $40,000 difference, thats a huge difference.

I would keep it in sterling until the rate improves if you possibly can. Moneycorp, you can put money in sterling on deposit with them and wait for the rate to change...that way the money is not available for you to chip into....but ready to move when the markets improve. They will always transfer it back if you need it back too. You would not be under contract with them to change it and no forward purchasing agreed.
Hope this makes sense
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi all,

We have been watching the exchange rate closely and it seems to be much more healthy.

We were wondering if/how we could 'lock in' our savings at 1.49 CAD/GBP as we don't land until December....

We don't have a Canadian bank account.... is the only option to buy the dollars now and store them in a safe place??

Any thoughts on a much better option?

Thank you so much!

FS

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; May 1st 2010 at 1:59 am.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
To add my five penny'orth to the discussion....the rate is so poor at the moment, that in my opinion, I would not lock into it now while it is so low.

If you lock in at 1.49 and for arguements sake change £100,000 in $cdn you would get $149000.......If it then goes back up to 1.89 for arguements sake...you would get $189000 a massive $40,000 difference, thats a huge difference.

I would keep it in sterling until the rate improves if you possibly can. Moneycorp, you can put money in sterling on deposit with them and wait for the rate to change...that way the money is not available for you to chip into....but ready to move when the markets improve. They will always transfer it back if you need it back too. You would not be under contract with them to change it and no forward purchasing agreed.
Hope this makes sense
lol
Stef
I have to say I agree with Stef when he says "you can put money in sterling on deposit with them and wait for the rate to change...that way the money is not available for you to chip into....but ready to move when the markets improve."......but of course this method would NOT lock you into a rate

I have an arrangement with my FX broker whereby I have given him the rate that I want......he will contact me if we get to, or very close to, that figure!!! This has worked very well for me historically....and I'm sure it will in the future.

I suppose that the real question has to be.......how many $ do you want to buy for each of your hard earned £s.

Steveh
Old May 1st 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

LandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant future

Stef, you might want to also take into consideration that the UK is looking more and more likely to have a hung parliament this would further weaken the pound. While i know that $1.54 is poor (it was over $2 when i visited Canada last September) its not hard to believe that the rate will drop even further. My partner and i held off and held off exchanging in the hopes that it will go back up. Now we have put as much as we can in ISAs till that happens, with the election looking the way it is, we might be in for a very long wait.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

As a PS to the above.........I'm sure you are are aware that the so called high street banks are very unlikely to quote you a rate which will be on a par with the FX brokers. If you're looking at tens of thousands of pounds......you really do need to be buying at a wholesale rate
Steveh
Old May 1st 2010, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Steveh
Just for the record...I am Stef (female) and my husband is Lins (as in Lindsay)...Yep all woman...can't you tell by the way I can rabbit....lol
lol
Stef.

I have to say I agree with Stef when he says "you can put money in sterling on deposit with them and wait for the rate to change...that way the money is not available for you to chip into....but ready to move when the markets improve."......but of course this method would NOT lock you into a rate

I have an arrangement with my FX broker whereby I have given him the rate that I want......he will contact me if we get to, or very close to, that figure!!! This has worked very well for me historically....and I'm sure it will in the future.

I suppose that the real question has to be.......how many $ do you want to buy for each of your hard earned £s.

Steveh
Old May 1st 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Canadian Exchange rates

Stef..................oooooooops!!...sorry!

Steveh
Old May 1st 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
I hear what you say...in 2007 we were getting 2.21.....but I honestly can't see it being a hung parliament...not since Gordon Brown shot himself in the foot when he forgot to switch off that mic.....People were not keen on him just taking over from Blair like he did...now the copybook is well and truly blotted. A more insincere man I have yet to meet. He certainly showed TRUE COLOURS that day.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by LandC
Stef, you might want to also take into consideration that the UK is looking more and more likely to have a hung parliament this would further weaken the pound. While i know that $1.54 is poor (it was over $2 when i visited Canada last September) its not hard to believe that the rate will drop even further. My partner and i held off and held off exchanging in the hopes that it will go back up. Now we have put as much as we can in ISAs till that happens, with the election looking the way it is, we might be in for a very long wait.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Steveh
You are not the first and will not be the last...so I have got into the habit of instant forgiveness
lol
Stef
Stef..................oooooooops!!...sorry!

Steveh
Old May 1st 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I hear what you say...in 2007 we were getting 2.21.....but I honestly can't see it being a hung parliament...not since Gordon Brown shot himself in the foot when he forgot to switch off that mic.....People were not keen on him just taking over from Blair like he did...now the copybook is well and truly blotted. A more insincere man I have yet to meet. He certainly showed TRUE COLOURS that day.
lol
Stef
I agree with stef.....she is my kind of WOMAN

PS thanks for your forgiveness!!
Old May 1st 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Steveh
Swoon......oh dear I have come over all faint
lol
Stef
I agree with stef.....she is my kind of WOMAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.