British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-eta-sharing-info-us-831184/)

Gozit Apr 22nd 2014 8:46 pm

Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11228100)
"He" being the OP, and the point I was trying to illustrate is that people are just as ignorant in Europe as they are here (he seems to think things would be better). A point which you took to task but have yet to actually disprove.

Err, although people in the UK may be as ignorant as people here, that's not been what i've experienced. People I know from the UK are much less ignorant than people from Canada that I know. Including you's on here. (OK maybe a few of you are ;))

Vulcanoid Apr 22nd 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx (Post 11229739)
Err, although people in the UK may be as ignorant as people here, that's not been what i've experienced. People I know from the UK are much less ignorant than people from Canada that I know. Including you's on here. (OK maybe a few of you are ;))

You're using a statistically non-normal sample.

The north Americans I know online are better educated, more informed, and have more involvement in world news and current affairs than a lot of Brits I have passing contact with, who are content with their small, isolated lot.

The Brits you know online will, again, be disproportionately interested in international affairs, be able and willing to handle complex bureaucracy, know about other countries that they've looked at moving to, etc.

Neither of these samples are representative of their compatriots.

Again - please do research. If you move to the UK with some of the preconceptions you seem to have, you're going to have a horrible, horrible shock.

burks Apr 22nd 2014 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx (Post 11229739)

If you want to know what a lot of the population is like.. try to watch The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore.

Then you'll see what we mean.. unfortunately!

Steve_ Apr 22nd 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 11229772)
Again - please do research. If you move to the UK with some of the preconceptions you seem to have, you're going to have a horrible, horrible shock.

Well he is from Mississauga, I have to say Square One is very similar to shopping malls in the UK. And some of the areas of the GTA with lots of public housing look quite similar to some of the inner city areas of the UK.

Gozit Apr 23rd 2014 3:02 am

You're using a statistically non-normal sample.

Darn right I am :D

The north Americans I know online are better educated, more informed, and have more involvement in world news and current affairs than a lot of Brits I have passing contact with, who are content with their small, isolated lot.

True. I can think of a couple examples of online north americans on this forum who fit that description :)

The Brits you know online will, again, be disproportionately interested in international affairs, be able and willing to handle complex bureaucracy, know about other countries that they've looked at moving to, etc.

Again, true. I have never met a Brit in his/her natural habitat, i've never been to the UK. (well there was that one time when I was 5 I was connecting through Heathrow to go to Malta and I technically have been to the UK since I had a UK stamp in that old passport ;) but that doesn't count; I didn't leave the airport)
Neither of these samples are representative of their compatriots.

By the sounds of it, your average every day Brit living in the UK sounds like your average every day Maltese living in Malta, so i'm pretty used to that :D

Then again, my view of the UK has been warped by the people on here who always post about how awesome it is, etc etc.

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11229809)
If you want to know what a lot of the population is like.. try to watch The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore.

Is that on Netflix? ;) (No seriously is it?)

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11229897)
Well he is from Mississauga, I have to say Square One is very similar to shopping malls in the UK. And some of the areas of the GTA with lots of public housing look quite similar to some of the inner city areas of the UK.
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing LOL

burks Apr 23rd 2014 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx (Post 11230090)
Darn right I am :D

No they're not on Netflix.. 4od and ITV Player. Trust me, you will not want to watch more than 3 minutes of each and your view of England will be forever changed.

Comparing the British to the Maltese I think will still be some way off. The way of life etc. is totally different in the Med to Northern Europe. I don't really think there is any other population in Europe that is similar to the Brits. Definitely a different breed! haha

beckiwoo Apr 23rd 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11229809)

Don't forget 'made in Chelsea' - I've just sat through an episode with a young person at work and wanted to scream!

Former Lancastrian Apr 23rd 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11231116)
Don't forget 'made in Chelsea' - I've just sat through an episode with a young person at work and wanted to scream!

Didn't the TV have an on/off button or a button to change the channel?

beckiwoo Apr 23rd 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11231127)
Didn't the TV have an on/off button or a button to change the channel?

I work in a youth home it's up to them what they watch (within reason) why would I do that?

cannot believe how popular it is watching a bunch of rich, snobs taking about their relationship problems - although it's a good comedy!

Has it made it's way to Canada yet?

Gozit Apr 23rd 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11230881)
No they're not on Netflix.. 4od and ITV Player. Trust me, you will not want to watch more than 3 minutes of each and your view of England will be forever changed.

Comparing the British to the Maltese I think will still be some way off. The way of life etc. is totally different in the Med to Northern Europe. I don't really think there is any other population in Europe that is similar to the Brits. Definitely a different breed! haha

LOL, i'll be sure to do that when i'm bored for a few mins... Yes comparing the Brits to the Maltese is OK, because the Maltese are worse than what you describe at times.;)

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11231206)
I work in a youth home it's up to them what they watch (within reason) why would I do that?

cannot believe how popular it is watching a bunch of rich, snobs taking about their relationship problems - although it's a good comedy!

No

Steve_ Apr 23rd 2014 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11231206)

I keep pointing out that Canadian TV isn't bad and here is the proof...