Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by Steve_
"He" being the OP, and the point I was trying to illustrate is that people are just as ignorant in Europe as they are here (he seems to think things would be better). A point which you took to task but have yet to actually disprove.
Err, although people in the UK may be as ignorant as people here, that's not been what i've experienced. People I know from the UK are much less ignorant than people from Canada that I know. Including you's on here. (OK maybe a few of you are )
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Err, although people in the UK may be as ignorant as people here, that's not been what i've experienced. People I know from the UK are much less ignorant than people from Canada that I know. Including you's on here. (OK maybe a few of you are )
You're using a statistically non-normal sample.

The north Americans I know online are better educated, more informed, and have more involvement in world news and current affairs than a lot of Brits I have passing contact with, who are content with their small, isolated lot.

The Brits you know online will, again, be disproportionately interested in international affairs, be able and willing to handle complex bureaucracy, know about other countries that they've looked at moving to, etc.

Neither of these samples are representative of their compatriots.

Again - please do research. If you move to the UK with some of the preconceptions you seem to have, you're going to have a horrible, horrible shock.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to know what a lot of the population is like.. try to watch The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore.

Then you'll see what we mean.. unfortunately!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Again - please do research. If you move to the UK with some of the preconceptions you seem to have, you're going to have a horrible, horrible shock.
Well he is from Mississauga, I have to say Square One is very similar to shopping malls in the UK. And some of the areas of the GTA with lots of public housing look quite similar to some of the inner city areas of the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You're using a statistically non-normal sample.
Darn right I am
The north Americans I know online are better educated, more informed, and have more involvement in world news and current affairs than a lot of Brits I have passing contact with, who are content with their small, isolated lot.

True. I can think of a couple examples of online north americans on this forum who fit that description

The Brits you know online will, again, be disproportionately interested in international affairs, be able and willing to handle complex bureaucracy, know about other countries that they've looked at moving to, etc.

Again, true. I have never met a Brit in his/her natural habitat, i've never been to the UK. (well there was that one time when I was 5 I was connecting through Heathrow to go to Malta and I technically have been to the UK since I had a UK stamp in that old passport but that doesn't count; I didn't leave the airport)
Neither of these samples are representative of their compatriots.

By the sounds of it, your average every day Brit living in the UK sounds like your average every day Maltese living in Malta, so i'm pretty used to that

Then again, my view of the UK has been warped by the people on here who always post about how awesome it is, etc etc.
Originally Posted by burks
If you want to know what a lot of the population is like.. try to watch The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore.

Is that on Netflix? (No seriously is it?)

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well he is from Mississauga, I have to say Square One is very similar to shopping malls in the UK. And some of the areas of the GTA with lots of public housing look quite similar to some of the inner city areas of the UK.
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Darn right I am
No they're not on Netflix.. 4od and ITV Player. Trust me, you will not want to watch more than 3 minutes of each and your view of England will be forever changed.

Comparing the British to the Maltese I think will still be some way off. The way of life etc. is totally different in the Med to Northern Europe. I don't really think there is any other population in Europe that is similar to the Brits. Definitely a different breed! haha
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget 'made in Chelsea' - I've just sat through an episode with a young person at work and wanted to scream!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Don't forget 'made in Chelsea' - I've just sat through an episode with a young person at work and wanted to scream!
Didn't the TV have an on/off button or a button to change the channel?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:26 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Didn't the TV have an on/off button or a button to change the channel?
I work in a youth home it's up to them what they watch (within reason) why would I do that?

cannot believe how popular it is watching a bunch of rich, snobs taking about their relationship problems - although it's a good comedy!

Has it made it's way to Canada yet?

Last edited by beckiwoo; Apr 23rd 2014 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No they're not on Netflix.. 4od and ITV Player. Trust me, you will not want to watch more than 3 minutes of each and your view of England will be forever changed.

Comparing the British to the Maltese I think will still be some way off. The way of life etc. is totally different in the Med to Northern Europe. I don't really think there is any other population in Europe that is similar to the Brits. Definitely a different breed! haha
LOL, i'll be sure to do that when i'm bored for a few mins... Yes comparing the Brits to the Maltese is OK, because the Maltese are worse than what you describe at times.

I work in a youth home it's up to them what they watch (within reason) why would I do that?

cannot believe how popular it is watching a bunch of rich, snobs taking about their relationship problems - although it's a good comedy!

No
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I keep pointing out that Canadian TV isn't bad and here is the proof...