Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by burks
The UK is recovering economically, but that doesn't mean that you will be able to walk into a £30k+ job. The cost of living is different in Canada and the UK. Some things are cheaper, some are more expensive. Everyone is affected differently depending on their lifestyles. That's why going and trying it out is the best option.

Having a 2 min look online and it shows that Western has 12 UK partners, Wilfrid Laurier has 2.. I couldn't find one list for York, they do theirs by faculty so it would be dependent on what faculty you study in. One of Wilfrid Laurier's partner's is Swansea, which is a place you said you had considered locating to in the UK.

I studied abroad for 2 years during my degree, and so I know from first hand how helpful it is in getting to experience life in a country. It can give you a completely different outlook actually living there rather than being there on holiday.
Thanks... Interesting info I'll be sure to take a further look once i'm home from my cruise and don't have bandwidth restrictions...

Originally Posted by Steve_
It doesn't do that, all it means is that you have to use your Canadian passport to get on a plane. You could theoretically still use a foreign passport once you get to the POE as long as you convince CBSA you are Canadian (e.g. citizenship certificate) exactly the same as you can at present. For land border crossings it doesn't even do that.

So if I use my Canadian passport with the airline, and always show my Canadian passport to the airline people when traveling to Europe, show the Canadian passport to CBSA when re-entering and only show the EU passport at the EU Point of Entry and Exit, that will work?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:06 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
But have you considered the fact that the chinese passport is one of the worst in the world at only around 30 visa free countries! That would be a good reason to get rid of it
Yeah it's not great. Worked in China for 6 months years ago as well

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
Agreed, exactly my opinion, however I don't think that everything about Harper is bad. Celebrities must comply too. In that case Justin Bieber would never be able to enter the US, or any other country.

That's a bad thing because..?
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You learn pretty quick, only food that is taxed or processed junk foods, you wont have tax on any real food. (some of the prepared in store meals are also taxed)
Similar to UK then. When I go to cost co I can see the price before tax

Well I always prefer that GST is added at the checkout. What is taxed is basically the same as VAT in the UK, in fact when I got the CRA GST manual I thought to myself... hmm... seen this somewhere before and when I compared it with the HMRC VAT manual there were large sections that had obviously been copied. The difference being the tax rate of course. There are some other minor differences between VAT and GST/HST but not when it comes to food.

At least in Canada you see how much you are paying, all the supermarkets I go to highlight which items are taxed on the receipt as well (which is legally required).
Oh well we will agree to disagree then. Each to their own and all that!

Dunno, but to expect the UK to be a more enlightened place is silly.

Didn't say I did, did I!!

Er... 50 States - thereby proving my point!

Calling me thick? I'm not American - I don't need to know and I can name over half of them. Can you name them all considering your closer to the country!

I didn't say they'd never heard of Malta, I said if you said you were Maltese they'd probably think you were on about Maltesers.

And as for statistics, it's based on me asking a lot of people over the years. Usually when they started going on about how muslims and/or immigrants were taking over and "didn't fit in" etc. and then I would ask them a few questions about the UK, seeing as they considered themselves so familiar with their home country.

To date NO-ONE I have ever asked (and it was a fair few people) has ever been able to name three towns in Northern Ireland. Well, assuming they were English. The usual response is: "Belfast, er.... Londonderry, er...."
That's not statistics in my eyes. It's just you asking a bunch of people and obviously not widely travelled people either. You can't expect people who don't venture out of their home to know this. The reason is they don't care to know. When I was in Australia I met some Aussies travelling around the country, who had never heard of some of the places I was travelling to there, granted Oz is much bigger but if people in the England don't really care about knowing about Northern Ireland or Wales then they won't.

Something you have to accept about the UK, some people are much much happier just making sure they don't miss and episode of TOWIE!

Last edited by beckiwoo; Apr 19th 2014 at 5:18 am.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That's not statistics in my eyes.
I never meant that it was, duh. I use statistics on here all the time but sometimes a simple anecdote works better.

It's just you asking a bunch of people and obviously not widely travelled people either.
It's me asking a bunch of racists actually, but racists tend to be more common imx in the UK and yes they are dense.

Try it yourself, ask a few people if they can name three towns in Northern Ireland seeing as you're in the midlands.

Didn't say I did, did I!!
He seems to think so, your point seemed to be to disagree with me but apparently you don't.

(and yes I can name all 50 States and all the populated US territories too).

Last edited by Steve_; Apr 19th 2014 at 6:31 am.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:28 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
So if I use my Canadian passport with the airline, and always show my Canadian passport to the airline people when traveling to Europe, show the Canadian passport to CBSA when re-entering and only show the EU passport at the EU Point of Entry and Exit, that will work?
Yep.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:00 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I never meant that it was, duh. I use statistics on here all the time but sometimes a simple anecdote works better.

It's me asking a bunch of racists actually, but racists tend to be more common imx in the UK and yes they are dense.

Try it yourself, ask a few people if they can name three towns in Northern Ireland seeing as you're in the midlands.

well I don't associate with 'dense-racists' so I think They will get at least 5 in Northern Ireland

(and yes I can name all 50 States and all the populated US territories too).

Wow!!! Gold star for you then!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:02 pm
Bex in the city

He seems to think so, your point seemed to be to disagree with me but apparently you don't.

Who is 'he' - the cats father?? Rather rude!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if 'most' Canadaians can name all the provinces and their provincial capitals?

I also wondered if 'most' US citizens can name all 52 states and can point on map where they are?
Well, most Canadians (not "Canadaians") I know (myself included) can name the 10 provinces & 2 territories and their capitals. It's taught ot us from a very early age at school.

And I can't speak for 'most' Americans, but the ones I know - my brother & sister in law, my son, his mum and father, various friends - also can name all 50 states and their capitals. If I really thought about it I probably could as well; however I really have no need to do so.

Can you name all of the provinces and territories and their capitals?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, most Canadians (not "Canadaians") I know (myself included) can name the 10 provinces & 2 territories and their capitals. It's taught ot us from a very early age at school.

And I can't speak for 'most' Americans, but the ones I know - my brother & sister in law, my son, his mum and father, various friends - also can name all 50 states and their capitals. If I really thought about it I probably could as well; however I really have no need to do so.

Can you name all of the provinces and territories and their capitals?
Best of my knowledge there are 3 territories, Northwest, Yukon, and Nunavut.

As for the US, there was a time (when I was in elementary school) where I could easily name all the state and capitals, but now I can name the states, but the capitals are hit or miss, its just not useful knowledge and not something used so I have forgotten some of them and I can point out all 50 on a map, although some of the small east coast ones can get a bit confusing, but generally I can figure it out.

I am not sure the obsession people have over being able to name states or provinces or what have you.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:27 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I wondered how long it would be until someone picked up on a spelling mistake, be it a mistake not intentional.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I can name all the provinces and territories but come on.. it's only 13 so not that hard. Would give the capitals a good go, but would struggle with the east coast ones. Could probably name the 50 states but definitely not all 50 capitals.. but if I'm being honest.. no one really cares that much do they?

If you all want to argue over who knows more.. who can name all the counties in UK? .. Do you even know how many there are?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Best of my knowledge there are 3 territories, Northwest, Yukon, and Nunavut.

As for the US, there was a time (when I was in elementary school) where I could easily name all the state and capitals, but now I can name the states, but the capitals are hit or miss, its just not useful knowledge and not something used so I have forgotten some of them and I can point out all 50 on a map, although some of the small east coast ones can get a bit confusing, but generally I can figure it out.

I am not sure the obsession people have over being able to name states or provinces or what have you.
When I grew up and had to learn them there were 2.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I love the contrast of this thread... It went from me griping about the ETA and how Canada shares/is going to be sharing everything with the US, to cost of living / quality of life in the UK , and now onto who can memorise what from their elementary school days.

Ooh and Becki, I stole your quote "Wow! Gold star for you!" over on the "What do you want to know about the arabs" thread over in the lounge.

(Oh by the way you all should go read the threads "what is islam" in TIO and "What do you want to know about the arabs" in the lounge, I almost feel bad for the guy/thread starter how bad we are treating him LOL)
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Just on the internet speeds topic, I lived in Glasgow and only had access to broadband internet through our phone line, no cable or fibre optic. Here in Canada I live in a rural village (pop 2000 ish?) in a rural province (NS) and have fibre optic internet. This still amazes me.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by izzi81
Just on the internet speeds topic, I lived in Glasgow and only had access to broadband internet through our phone line, no cable or fibre optic. Here in Canada I live in a rural village (pop 2000 ish?) in a rural province (NS) and have fibre optic internet. This still amazes me.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Who is 'he' - the cats father?? Rather rude!
"He" being the OP, and the point I was trying to illustrate is that people are just as ignorant in Europe as they are here (he seems to think things would be better). A point which you took to task but have yet to actually disprove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.