Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I was under the impression that the UK is much better than Canada for a gazillion things according to posters on here.
Better selection of biscuits, cheeses, beer and spirits etc etc
Cheaper car insurance, better transit options, cheaper air fares etc etc
Are some BE posters telling porkies then?
Hard to believe, ain't it?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the UK is much better than Canada for a gazillion things according to posters on here.
The British wouldn't be British if they didn't have anything to complain about.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Aren't they just

I only really want access to channel 4od when I get out there as I love British comedy!
The gf logs onto 4d now that I have the hockey playoffs on the TV. For some reason though it's for Made in Chelsea
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks

The gf logs onto 4d now that I have the hockey playoffs on the TV. For some reason though it's for [B]Made in Chelsea

More of a Geordie shore kinda girl
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If I was the Minister for Immigration I would introduce a contract to be signed by all workers or PRs coming from the UK that they would have to sign basically saying if they are caught complaining about Canada not having certain UK products or TV programmes then their status is revoked and they must return to the UK.
The following TV programmes would mean an automatic revocation

Made In Chelsea, The Only Way Is Essex, Celebrity Big Brother, Britains Got Talent, Desperate Scousewives or any other UK reality show or talk shows like Jeremy Kyle.

Coronation St is acceptable as you will be supporting the CBC.
Moaning about the weather is acceptable as even people born here do that.
Looking for a late night kebab shop will be a challenge to some or walking home eating fish/pies,battered sausages,curry sauce and chips out of a styrofoam tray.
If attending a sporting event don't be surprised if a rival fan is sat next to you or in front of you its not a licence to stick the head on him.
The price you see on a sticker is not the price you pay so if you are crap at maths just add around 15% to that sticker price.
I will stop here less I put someone off or they think Im joking.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

...Looking for a late night kebab shop will be a challenge to some or walking home eating fish/pies,battered sausages,curry sauce and chips out of a styrofoam tray...
Well now I'm hungry.. Thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I was the Minister for Immigration I would introduce a contract to be signed by all workers or PRs coming from the UK that they would have to sign basically saying if they are caught complaining about Canada not having certain UK products or TV programmes then their status is revoked and they must return to the UK.
The following TV programmes would mean an automatic revocation

Made In Chelsea, The Only Way Is Essex, Celebrity Big Brother, Britains Got Talent, Desperate Scousewives or any other UK reality show or talk shows like Jeremy Kyle.

Coronation St is acceptable as you will be supporting the CBC.
Moaning about the weather is acceptable as even people born here do that.
Looking for a late night kebab shop will be a challenge to some or walking home eating fish/pies,battered sausages,curry sauce and chips out of a styrofoam tray.
If attending a sporting event don't be surprised if a rival fan is sat next to you or in front of you its not a licence to stick the head on him.
The price you see on a sticker is not the price you pay so if you are crap at maths just add around 15% to that sticker price.
I will stop here less I put someone off or they think Im joking.
That is the one thing that is going to bug me I am afraid but only in supermarkets now as I never know what is taxed and what isn't
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Well they are going to have to make it somewhat easy; dual citizenship is legal in Canada and in my (soon to be) other country of citizenship. (Malta)

Take this situation
Dual Maltese-Canadian citizen lives in Malta, wants to travel to Canada to visit his family. Without ETA, he could just go on his Maltese passport to make things simple (he probably doesn't even have a Canadian one as they are now almost CAN$300 to renew from abroad whilst his Maltese passport costs him about €50 to renew from inside Malta) , and show his Ontario birth certificate together with his Maltese passport to the CBSA agent to prove Canadian nationality and enter as a citizen. Simple.

With ETA, based on what you said, he is forced to either lie on the ETA form and say he is not a Canadian citizen/PR and get an ETA as a Maltese national, which puts him at risk of being denied entry (actually not really since if one can prove citizenship you cannot be deported) , or worse, loss of Canadian nationality. (although I doubt that.) If he says he is a citizen/PR on the ETA form he will be denied ETA. So he is de facto forced to spend C$300 on a Canadian passport ? Gimme a break. That's absurd. Where is the people living in the country's voting on this ?

As a side note, I guess you could always fly to the US and enter Canada by land, negating the need for ETA
It's my good guess, that as a next step, Canada will eventually stop their citizens from having or retaining any kind of dual citizenship, or prevent them from doing so. One way of doing that is requiring naturalized Canadians to renounce their previous citizenship.

Myself naturalized Canadian, but not British, find it funny why an eTA would or should apply to a British national. Same Queen, same kind of background. Just blindly copying everything from the US, that is a typical thing of the Harper-gang.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
It's my good guess, that as a next step, Canada will eventually stop their citizens from having or retaining any kind of dual citizenship, or prevent them from doing so. One way of doing that is requiring naturalized Canadians to renounce their previous citizenship.
There is absolutely no evidence that Canada is planning seriously to change the law in this manner.

Unfortunately, many people tend to believe everything they read on forums and hence it is not helpful to speculate in this manner. Especially without any reasonable evidence.

As for renouncing prior citizenships, used to be the case before 1973, however there was no requirement to actually go to the relevant foreign embassy to do so under foreign law. Many Canadians cannot renounce their foreign citizenship, even if they want to.

Myself naturalized Canadian, but not British, find it funny why an eTA would or should apply to a British national. Same Queen, same kind of background.
The Canadian monarchy is distinct from the British monarchy. And ETA will apply to Australians, New Zealanders and other Commonwealth monarchies, same way it applies to British citizens.

Australia's ETA applies to Canadian citizens.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 18th 2014 at 6:52 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Myself naturalized Canadian, but not British, find it funny why an eTA would or should apply to a British national. Same Queen, same kind of background. Just blindly copying everything from the US, that is a typical thing of the Harper-gang.
Wasn't it the Aussies who first started the ETA thing though? not the Americans?..
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is absolutely no evidence that Canada is planning seriously to change the law in this manner.

Unfortunately, many people tend to believe everything they read on forums and hence it is not helpful to speculate in this manner. Especially without any reasonable evidence.

As for renouncing prior citizenships, used to be the case before 1973, however there was no requirement to actually go to the relevant foreign embassy to do so under foreign law. Many Canadians cannot renounce their foreign citizenship, even if they want to.

The Canadian monarchy is distinct from the British monarchy. And ETA will apply to Australians, New Zealanders and other Commonwealth monarchies, same way it applies to British citizens.

Australia's ETA applies to Canadian citizens.
The only certainty is constant change. Canada could one day require that one would give up his previous citizenship, that would be especially of interest, if the other country is hostile to Canada or Canada's interest.

I am not very fond of any kind of ETAs of any sort. Border agencies across the world can check or could have access to records, such as Passenger Name Records and the actual travel plans, and the Police of most western countries do share records of criminals. I honestly don't see any reason to subject somebody traveling to these kind of things. Entering the UK is simple, even when one doesn't have an EU passport. Don't think that Canadians travelling on Canadian Passports would need an ETA, however there is a "Landing card".
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The only certainty is constant change. Canada could one day require that one would give up his previous citizenship, that would be especially of interest, if the other country is hostile to Canada or Canada's interest.

I am not very fond of any kind of ETAs of any sort. Border agencies across the world can check or could have access to records, such as Passenger Name Records and the actual travel plans, and the Police of most western countries do share records of criminals. I honestly don't see any reason to subject somebody traveling to these kind of things. Entering the UK is simple, even when one doesn't have an EU passport. Don't think that Canadians travelling on Canadian Passports would need an ETA, however there is a "Landing card".
Isn't it simpler to stop the undesirables from even getting on a plane before they arrive as opposed to dealing with them once they get here?
The UK is the UK and if they wish to let anyone in in then thats THEIR choice or to deal with undesirables once they get there which is what Canada does at the moment.
Im all for ETAs or whatever a country decides to impose when visiting their country as I have NO RIGHT of entry into their country. If its that bad then I won't visit.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

I guess, we just have different opinions, however the results would be the same.

I am just not open for new regulations, new admin work, and quite honestly I find it idiotic, considering that all the measurements are already there, to get the the results desired.

Flying back into Canada, being a Canadian citizen, the data is already to date collected, at least on Air-Canada flights. Not only by your name, but also by your Passport number. Your name together with your passport number makes you kind of "unique" from an IT perspective. They can then easily check police records, etc.... and/or not let somebody to board a plane if there is a criminal background. However, not sure, if advance checks are already done, the data collected would allow for these things to happen already. No separate eTA necessary, no print outs, no further admin fees etc....

I think the eTA is just ridiculous. It's just there not to harm any diplomacy between country A and country B which could otherwise be, if they would ask everyone for a visa. I would actually refuse it, if I wasn't Canadian, however apply for a proper tourist visa instead, if I wanted to go there as a tourist.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Your name together with your passport number makes you kind of "unique" from an IT perspective.
Not when we've got multiple passports.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
Not when we've got multiple passports.
True as well, however, I don't think that an eTA would help here either, if one doesn't use the other passport. I presume an eTA would also ask for a passport number a long with a couple of questions regarding criminal background.

I just see these measures as a political means to calm the public, while the traveler has to pick up the cost/bureaucracy, when a more efficient system could be there. And then there are always those individuals in the general public who accept these things easier than others.

In general I am a conservative, when it comes to financial and economic questions, same as on crime, however on the downside the conservatives are also good at surveillance and strong rhetoric.

Same as the US, Canada could also look into records when one would be leaving the country. The US has done so for quite some time, even prior to their ESTA system.

And, by the way, let's hope that people like Rob Ford, are affected the same way, as ordinary citizens. Even Gordon Campbell has a record of DUI in Hawaii, (former premier of BC, if you don't know, today high commissioner to the UK )
Old Apr 18th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks

gozitanguygoinghome99xx - I think you need to do a hell of a lot more research on the UK. One of the first things you need to do is get a realistic view on salary expectations, as you can pretty much take a third off of what you are thinking presently. That is a huge difference!

Do you know where you are going to be studying in Canada? like which university? A lot of Canadian universities have partner institutions in the UK, so that may be something to take into consideration when choosing a uni. It is also dependent on the course you take in a lot of situations too. Doing a year studying abroad is a great way of finding out what it is like to live in the country. It will also help you understand the job market more, and give you some UK living experience for your CV.

I'll most likely be studying at York (Keele/Toronto) , Western (London) , or Wilfrid Laurier (Brantford/Waterloo) ... And yes clearly I need to do more research, as do people on the forum who post like the UK is as good off economically than Canada, or at least not as bad as you guys say!
Yes, apparently!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.