Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Old Apr 18th 2014, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Off topic: Someone on here please can they give me some lessons in multiple quoting from different posts. Everyone seems to be able to do it apart from me.

TV licence is something everyone is required to have if they wish to watch TV/ own a TV. It is as usually onc per household not one per TV unless you live in student halls of residence and each bedroom has a lock on it.

It's the money that the BBC (and I think other channels) get.

What's worse is even if you have sky digital, cable etc then you still have to have the licence.

You also have to have the licence, if you don't have a TV but watch TV streaming applications like BBCiplayer, channel4 Od etc

If you watch TV and don't have a licence. They say they have people going around that know and can check and you end up with a fine. There used to be adverts about it all the time on TV but they seem to have died out now. Not sure why.
Perhaps because they don't actually work according to some. Several articles have been written about them
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ector-van.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-vehicles.html

The BBC has subsequently provided a response to this question when pressed and asked to conduct an internal review: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ev...

They confirmed that "detection" evidence has NEVER been presented during the prosecution of an alleged licence fee evader.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...television_det

One has to wonder why countries like the US, Canada and a whole bunch of other countries don't have them or require you to buy a TV licence
Have you bought a Canadian TV licence yet?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

You need a TV licence if you watch BBC channels live, be it streaming or on old school TV.
So if you watched all your stuff on a BBCi, as long as it's not live, you don't need it. Other channels aren't affected at all.

In regards to car insurance, I started driving when I was 26 in a '98 Citroen Saxo 1.1L. Many factors can alter your premium but I was lucky to be in the cheaper end of the scale, plus the fact I work for an insurance company and got a 40% discount, I was still quoted £930 for the first year. I cannot wait the scrap that piece of shit.

Your location (postcode) makes a huge difference as each is graded based on other people's previous claims and risk. They put the wrong postcode in for me initially and had me in the road next to mine... That was £150 more.

Having said that, owning a cheap car can be cheaper than public transport, provided you don't have to keep repairing stuff on it. A return train to (nearish) work costs me more than a gallon of petrol that could get me to work and back twice. You hear about how transport is good in this country... Only in London. Outside is can be a ****ing disaster.

I think I could speak for Beckiwoo here, and others, in that we are pretty disillusioned with prospects in the UK, employment and otherwise, hence why we want out. Maybe on your uni course you could spend a year over here or the like to get a feel for it. We aren't trying to put you off... Just break you in gently
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Multi-quoting
You press the little button (next to the quote button) that looks like a newspaper (i know, wtf) on every post you want to multi-quote, except the last one. The last one you just push the normal quote button and it puts all the multi quotes you selected in your post

Diagram of button attached
Attached Thumbnails Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US-multiquote.png  
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic: Someone on here please can they give me some lessons in multiple quoting from different posts. Everyone seems to be able to do it apart from me.
Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Multi-quoting
You press the little button (next to the quote button) that looks like a newspaper (i know, wtf) on every post you want to multi-quote, except the last one. The last one you just push the normal quote button and it puts all the multi quotes you selected in your post

Diagram of button attached
Thank you!!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

One has to wonder why countries like the US, Canada and a whole bunch of other countries don't have them or require you to buy a TV licence
Have you bought a Canadian TV licence yet?
Well no because:
1) I'm not in Canada at present
2) you have just said they don't exist!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

TV licence is something everyone is required to have if they wish to watch TV/ own a TV. It is as usually onc per household not one per TV unless you live in student halls of residence and each bedroom has a lock on it.

It's the money that the BBC (and I think other channels) get.

What's worse is even if you have sky digital, cable etc then you still have to have the licence.

You also have to have the licence, if you don't have a TV but watch TV streaming applications like BBCiplayer, channel4 Od etc

If you watch TV and don't have a licence. They say they have people going around that know and can check and you end up with a fine. There used to be adverts about it all the time on TV but they seem to have died out now. Not sure why.
OK, well that rules out having TV service/owning a TV. Doesn't matter, I don't watch it anyways... Please don't tell me there is a broadband license though. I need the internet

So does watching netflix count as needing a TV license? Or obtaining movies/tv shows/everything via an "alternate" source on the internet?

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
You need a TV licence if you watch BBC channels live, be it streaming or on old school TV.
So if you watched all your stuff on a BBCi, as long as it's not live, you don't need it. Other channels aren't affected at all.

In regards to car insurance, I started driving when I was 26 in a '98 Citroen Saxo 1.1L. Many factors can alter your premium but I was lucky to be in the cheaper end of the scale, plus the fact I work for an insurance company and got a 40% discount, I was still quoted £930 for the first year. I cannot wait the scrap that piece of shit.

Your location (postcode) makes a huge difference as each is graded based on other people's previous claims and risk. They put the wrong postcode in for me initially and had me in the road next to mine... That was £150 more.

Hmm sort of like Canada I guess...
Having said that, owning a cheap car can be cheaper than public transport, provided you don't have to keep repairing stuff on it. A return train to (nearish) work costs me more than a gallon of petrol that could get me to work and back twice. You hear about how transport is good in this country... Only in London. Outside is can be a ****ing disaster.

Yes thats what I was hoping Is there agents for certifying used cars in the UK like there is here?
I think I could speak for Beckiwoo here, and others, in that we are pretty disillusioned with prospects in the UK, employment and otherwise, hence why we want out. Maybe on your uni course you could spend a year over here or the like to get a feel for it. We aren't trying to put you off... Just break you in gently

Yeah that would actually be good. I never thought of that. [spending a year in the UK] ... All I know is i'm sure prospects in the UK are better than Malta, yes probably not as good as Canada or the US but I can probably live with that... And hey, honesty is the best... I don't want to go over uninformed
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you!!
No worries
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:16 pm
Bex in the city

OK, well that rules out having TV service/owning a TV. Doesn't matter, I don't watch it anyways... Please don't tell me there is a broadband license though. I need the internet

So does watching netflix count as needing a TV license? Or obtaining movies/tv shows/everything via an "alternate" source on the internet?
No lol no broadband licence luckily (yet) just pay line rental a month - chances are if this country could they would put in for a licence.

Bare in mind, you mentioned fibre optic broadband - I'm not sure but I think it's only the major cities that have it. My folks are in the countryside their broadband is Awful!

You don't need it for Netflix or for access to alternative sources of however you get your TV/ movies
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No lol no broadband licence luckily (yet) just pay line rental a month - chances are if this country could they would put in for a licence.

Bare in mind, you mentioned fibre optic broadband - I'm not sure but I think it's only the major cities that have it. My folks are in the countryside their broadband is Awful!

You don't need it for Netflix or for access to alternative sources of however you get your TV/ movies
Well not necessarily fibre optic, but I was hoping for at least a cable connection (through Virgin Media I think in the UK) ... I don't like DSL for obvious reasons (its slow as all hell!) ... I have a hybrid cable/fibre optic connection here in Canada, and it's lightning fast, even with my house's like 1800 devices, which is why we have it.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well not necessarily fibre optic, but I was hoping for at least a cable connection (through Virgin Media I think in the UK) ... I don't like DSL for obvious reasons (its slow as all hell!) ... I have a hybrid cable/fibre optic connection here in Canada, and it's lightning fast, even with my house's like 1800 devices, which is why we have it.
I never knew kettles, microwaves, coffee makers, fridges and stoves needed a cable connection be it DSL or fibre optic.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I never knew kettles, microwaves, coffee makers, fridges and stoves needed a cable connection be it DSL or fibre optic.
That's only because you're doing it wrong
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I actually am a lot less anti-tv license than when I was in the UK. The BBC doesn't even compare to most of the channels over here and in the States, they're crap! I don't really watch a lot of BBC programming, but I appreciate the no adverts on the few things I do. Mostly though I like the BBC for their news service. So much better in my opinion than North America.

gozitanguygoinghome99xx - I think you need to do a hell of a lot more research on the UK. One of the first things you need to do is get a realistic view on salary expectations, as you can pretty much take a third off of what you are thinking presently. That is a huge difference!

Do you know where you are going to be studying in Canada? like which university? A lot of Canadian universities have partner institutions in the UK, so that may be something to take into consideration when choosing a uni. It is also dependent on the course you take in a lot of situations too. Doing a year studying abroad is a great way of finding out what it is like to live in the country. It will also help you understand the job market more, and give you some UK living experience for your CV.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

^
|
|

That.

Get your european citizenship by all means, that gives you options. But before you decide to move your entire life to Britain, do some more research, spend a year abroad either as a uni exchange scheme or on a young person's visa.

You're clearly enthusiastic, but you seem to have a really warped and... idealistic view of what life & lifestyle in the UK is like.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
^
|
|

That.

Get your european citizenship by all means, that gives you options. But before you decide to move your entire life to Britain, do some more research, spend a year abroad either as a uni exchange scheme or on a young person's visa.

You're clearly enthusiastic, but you seem to have a really warped and... idealistic view of what life & lifestyle in the UK is like.
I was under the impression that the UK is much better than Canada for a gazillion things according to posters on here.
Better selection of biscuits, cheeses, beer and spirits etc etc
Cheaper car insurance, better transit options, cheaper air fares etc etc
Are some BE posters telling porkies then?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:36 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by burks
I actually am a lot less anti-tv license than when I was in the UK. The BBC doesn't even compare to most of the channels over here and in the States, they're crap!
Aren't they just

I only really want access to channel 4od when I get out there as I love British comedy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.