Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian ETA/Sharing info with US

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Quote:
Ooh yeah. Forgot about Welsh... So is Bristol more expensive than say, Toronto? I really don't know much about elsewhere in the UK, so if you could recommend a better city, i'm all ears!

Did you mean average wages in GBP or Can$? 44,000 a year in Canadian seems awfully low, whereas 36k GBP is fine. Thanks for the average costs, Seems similar to where I live in Canada...

Ah. I was going off someone's (yours?) quote of 2000 a year (GBP) for a bus pass, vs your quote of 4000 for car insurance.

In Malta even someone with 5 years experience plus a degree is making barely minimum wage in their chosen field. They can be making much more in the UK, which is where alot of Maltese go. That's where I was going with that. I know coming out of uni salaries are low, but in the UK (or Canada for that matter) it gets better, slowly but surely. In Malta it doesn't. You just stay on sh*t salary forever.
I have no idea the cost of Toronto, so can't compare that. All the figures I gave were CAD conversions - average wage in 3 of Bristol's 4 constituencies is £20k, one of them is £24k. Although those are figures from the end of 2011, so 2 years out of date. Can easily get that data from the ONS (search for ASHE - Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings). I think what you viewed as a bus pass figure was someone's estimate of a season rail ticket to inner London from commuterville. My insurance point was an extreme, but you should be aware it's not going to be cheap, and has been pointed out, your no claims bonus is unlikely to be recognised.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

True. But if I was making, say 33k GBP (about Can$60,000) , I would be able to afford somewhat nicer house/car, but I could get a car/house that one would normally get on a 20-25k GBP salary, and save the money for travel... At least I thought that was a solid idea
Where are you getting your numbers from though? Read this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...stuck-jobs-ons
"Annual earnings for graduates increase at a fast pace as they become older and more experienced in the workplace, before levelling out around age 38 at a median of £35,000 a year," the report said.
You are basing your plans on earning a salary which on average takes graduates until around the age of 38 to achieve. Plus, 47% of grads are overqualified for the jobs they end up taking. As I have said before, it is extremely competitive in the UK job market. Add to that the fact that you would have had no experience in the UK (either work or education) and it may be a lot tougher than you're thinking.

Yeah and that's what i'd be going for... (I really like those Opel (sorry Vauxhall in the UK but its the same car) Adam's. They are fun and cheap. My kind of car ) Guess you're right though, the cars i'd be going for are "normal" cars in the UK, not "cheap" cars... And of course properties are smaller in the UK it's much smaller than Canada. But in the GTA they are getting smaller and more expensive. My grandparents just sold their Mississauga condo which they acquired in 2000 for about $200,000 , for $470,000 !
Like I said, the smaller cars are among the most popular. A Vauxhall ADAM is no cheaper really than a Fiesta. It is a lot more common for first time drivers to purchase used vehicles. In fact, many people go through their entire life without ever owning a brand new car.

Cheap property prices is something the UK is definitely not known for!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
But the chances are they will only care about UK driving experience, in the same way as Canadian insurers often won't credit our experience when we move here.
+1

I have 6 years no claims and driving experience in the UK. I am already aware that this will probably not be accepted in Canada when I go out there

Why should your experience count in the UK. They won't care as it's not EU/Uk driving experience!

Really sorry but at 22/23 years old expecting to walk into a job on £33k you are going to be in for a shock! I don't anyone at that age who was on that money unless they worked in London or in a very sort after line of work.

Renting in the UK is expensive. I could afford to rent my own place but would not have a lot left over for leisure and other activities. I rent a room in a house for £350 a month with one other person. I have my own bathroom for that so it's not bad not it's not in the best area of the town I live in. I get everything included for that (bills, cable, internet, council tax, TV licence - don't forget that gem about £145 a year). If you rent your own place you will have to pay for all this on top usually.

Maybe do a bit more research into living costs - certain things will be cheaper then Canada such as groceries but we pay 20% here on goods (are tax is included in the price though so what you see is what you pay) but that is hefty!

Last edited by beckiwoo; Apr 17th 2014 at 10:20 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can swipe the Ontario license for a GB one without taking a test right? And I already know to pass the ON test in a manual and get the letter from the MTO saying I passed the test in a manual in order to exchange to a full GB license, not an auto-only.
You can exchange for an automatic licence as long as you have at least 2 years experience. Not sure about taking a test in Ontario for manual but You can certainly take your test in a manual in the UK but it's expensive £20-£25 for an hour lesson plus you have to take a theory and hazard perception test and pass the practical exam and if you fail you lose the money and have to pay again.

The UK driving test IMO is getting harder and harder and it has been rumoured for many years that they have a quota to fill and once that's filled your screwed. How true that is I don't know.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You can exchange for an automatic licence as long as you have at least 2 years experience. Not sure about taking a test in Ontario for manual but You can certainly take your test in a manual in the UK but it's expensive £20-£25 for an hour lesson plus you have to take a theory and hazard perception test and pass the practical exam and if you fail you lose the money and have to pay again.

The UK driving test IMO is getting harder and harder and it has been rumoured for many years that they have a quota to fill and once that's filled your screwed. How true that is I don't know.
https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...britain/canada DVLA instructions. No need to think or be sure or anything.

There's no quota on driving tests in the UK. If you pass, you pass. Anything involving humans is subjective, and what one considers a bad minor fail (allowed 15 of them) might be another's just major fail (fail the test), but all in all if you drive competently, you pass. This is aside from the theory test, which is all marked on computer and is purely down to the driver's knowledge.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Like I said, the smaller cars are among the most popular. A Vauxhall ADAM is no cheaper really than a Fiesta. It is a lot more common for first time drivers to purchase used vehicles. In fact, many people go through their entire life without ever owning a brand new car.
I didn't own a new car until I moved to Canada. I never paid more than 2,500 pounds for a car before then, but I didn't want to be stranded in the snow at -40 over here.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:57 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

There's no quota on driving tests in the UK. If you pass, you pass. Anything involving humans is subjective, and what one considers a bad minor fail (allowed 15 of them) might be another's just major fail (fail the test), but all in all if you drive competently, you pass.

This is aside from the theory test, which is all marked on computer and is purely down to the driver's knowledge.
And hazard perception!!!!!!!

The test is definitely getting harder though, and with your practical you have about 20mins of you own driving where instructor tells you where to go and you have to get yourself there by following signs, road positioning etc without instructions from them.

It's no longer 15 minors btw that's changed now from what I have been told

Last edited by beckiwoo; Apr 17th 2014 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:04 pm
Bex in the city

And hazard perception!!!!!!!

The test is definitely getting harder though, and with your practical you have about 20mins of you own driving where instructor tells you where to go and you have to get yourself there by following signs, road positioning etc without instructions from them.

It's no longer 15 minors btw that's changed now from what I have been told
It is 15 so apologies I thought they had deceased it

The own driving is called independent driving section and lasts for 10 mins:

https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving...-cars/overview
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Was not intended. I don't want open borders with the U.S.
Well I do because they are by far our largest trading partner and in fact it is the largest trading relationship in the world in dollars. Or at least it was, perhaps China does more now with the US but last I checked it was something like $1.6 billion a day.

I quite like the EU and open borders in the EU, because none of the countries in the EU are annoying and arrogant and think they rule the world and can enforce their principles/laws throughout the world. (aka World Police, aka the United States)
Right, so are you one of the Canadians who also complains about how things cost more in Canada than the US?

And if you think none of the countries in the EU are annoying and arrogant, are you in for a big surprise when you get there...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Is this an acceptable document to present on entry to Canada to enter as a Canadian national? Ie is it effective "proof of citizenship" at the border?
You have to have a passport to get past check-in, IATA rule. Plus the travel regs require you to have proof of legal entry to Canada. If you showed up at a land border on foot or in your own car you can use your DL or citizenship certificate or birth certificate for that matter.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh trust me, there are some arrogant european nations, but none as arrogant as "The land of the free and the home of the brave"
This is a stereotype. I suspect in England if you told someone you were Maltese they would think you were on about Maltesers. This is the level of sophistication you should expect. Imx, most English people can't name three towns in Northern Ireland - which is part of the UK. (And a lot of them can't name three towns in Wales).

Canada and the US are countries built by immigrants in the recent past - most European countries were not and the locals often have very hostile attitudes towards immigrants.

The National Front for example is quite a big deal in France. There are plenty of racists in the US but nothing quite that overt.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I have no idea the cost of Toronto, so can't compare that. All the figures I gave were CAD conversions - average wage in 3 of Bristol's 4 constituencies is £20k, one of them is £24k. Although those are figures from the end of 2011, so 2 years out of date. Can easily get that data from the ONS (search for ASHE - Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings). I think what you viewed as a bus pass figure was someone's estimate of a season rail ticket to inner London from commuterville. My insurance point was an extreme, but you should be aware it's not going to be cheap, and has been pointed out, your no claims bonus is unlikely to be recognised.

Wont matter anyways, I wont have a NCB, as until I emigrate i'll be under my parents insurance anyways.

Originally Posted by burks
Where are you getting your numbers from though? Read this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...stuck-jobs-ons
"Annual earnings for graduates increase at a fast pace as they become older and more experienced in the workplace, before levelling out around age 38 at a median of £35,000 a year," the report said.
You are basing your plans on earning a salary which on average takes graduates until around the age of 38 to achieve. Plus, 47% of grads are overqualified for the jobs they end up taking. As I have said before, it is extremely competitive in the UK job market. Add to that the fact that you would have had no experience in the UK (either work or education) and it may be a lot tougher than you're thinking.

I'm pulling numbers out of a hat tbh, just saying what I want to earn! Clearly I won't even get that in the UK!

Cheap property prices is something the UK is definitely not known for!

Neither is southwestern Ontario or southern British Columbia, the latter being the worst.
+1

I have 6 years no claims and driving experience in the UK. I am already aware that this will probably not be accepted in Canada when I go out there

Why should your experience count in the UK. They won't care as it's not EU/Uk driving experience!

Really sorry but at 22/23 years old expecting to walk into a job on £33k you are going to be in for a shock! I don't anyone at that age who was on that money unless they worked in London or in a very sort after line of work.

Renting in the UK is expensive. I could afford to rent my own place but would not have a lot left over for leisure and other activities. I rent a room in a house for £350 a month with one other person. I have my own bathroom for that so it's not bad not it's not in the best area of the town I live in. I get everything included for that (bills, cable, internet, council tax, TV licence - don't forget that gem about £145 a year). If you rent your own place you will have to pay for all this on top usually.

Uh TV license? What the hell is that?

Maybe do a bit more research into living costs - certain things will be cheaper then Canada such as groceries but we pay 20% here on goods (are tax is included in the price though so what you see is what you pay)
but that is hefty!

As per the link provided you can exchange for a manual license if you have proof you passed the test in a manual - no need to take the UK test. I have already arranged with my dad's friend to use his manual for the tests. And i'll just get a letter from the gov't in Ontario saying I passed in a manual. Oddly enough I like manual cars, so i'd probably want to drive one in the UK, not to mention it being cheaper.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You have to have a passport to get past check-in, IATA rule. Plus the travel regs require you to have proof of legal entry to Canada. If you showed up at a land border on foot or in your own car you can use your DL or citizenship certificate or birth certificate for that matter.
Yeah but a foreign passport + proof of Canadian citizenship counts for that. At least it works at YYZ for my grandparents.
Well I do because they are by far our largest trading partner and in fact it is the largest trading relationship in the world in dollars. Or at least it was, perhaps China does more now with the US but last I checked it was something like $1.6 billion a day.

Right, so are you one of the Canadians who also complains about how things cost more in Canada than the US?

No, I don't care about that, I just care about how high the taxes are here compared to other developed nations.

And if you think none of the countries in the EU are annoying and arrogant, are you in for a big surprise when you get there...
Ooh man I can think of a couple that are... One starts with a G and thinks it calls all the shots.
This is a stereotype. I suspect in England if you told someone you were Maltese they would think you were on about Maltesers. This is the level of sophistication you should expect. Imx, most English people can't name three towns in Northern Ireland - which is part of the UK. (And a lot of them can't name three towns in Wales).
Ugh I hate it when that happens here. "Malta? Where's that? Did you make Maltesers?" "Is it part of Italy?"

I can name three towns in Wales from the top of my head, and i'm not even British! Cardiff, Swansea, and Maesteg. The first two I know from prior research of living in those places, the third because a friend of mine comes from there.
Canada and the US are countries built by immigrants in the recent past - most European countries were not and the locals often have very hostile attitudes towards immigrants.
Ahh. Tell me about it.
The National Front for example is quite a big deal in France. There are plenty of racists in the US but nothing quite that overt.
Didn't France ban the burqa?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:53 am
Bex in the city

I wonder if 'most' Canadaians can name all the provinces and their provincial capitals?

I also wondered if 'most' US citizens can name all 52 states and can point on map where they are?

Where are you getting your statistics from that states 'most' English people have never heard of Malta and cannot name towns and cities in wales and NI?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:01 am
Bex in the city

Off topic: Someone on here please can they give me some lessons in multiple quoting from different posts. Everyone seems to be able to do it apart from me.

TV licence is something everyone is required to have if they wish to watch TV/ own a TV. It is as usually onc per household not one per TV unless you live in student halls of residence and each bedroom has a lock on it.

It's the money that the BBC (and I think other channels) get.

What's worse is even if you have sky digital, cable etc then you still have to have the licence.

You also have to have the licence, if you don't have a TV but watch TV streaming applications like BBCiplayer, channel4 Od etc

If you watch TV and don't have a licence. They say they have people going around that know and can check and you end up with a fine. There used to be adverts about it all the time on TV but they seem to have died out now. Not sure why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.