Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Equivalent words

Canadian Equivalent words

Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:25 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Wink Canadian Equivalent words

Just read a thread there and seen that Trainers are called runners , this is just another new word that I have learned and will be passing it on to the kids when they get up in the morning, What I`m asking is for every one that is already there, or not to give the British names of the objects then the Canadian name, as I think that the more I can help my 2 kids 13 and 9 to understand what their new friends are talking about and also to be understood, then the better they will feel, In Nov/dec when we move out.

I will mention the ones I have learned so far.

Rubber = Eraser
Pavement = Sidewalk
Trainers = Runners
Mum = Mom
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:32 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Equivalent words

When I lived there a girlfriend of mine asked if my husband had any suspenders her husband could borrow. I thought I was going to piss myself laughing and so did she when she realised just what she had asked.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Trousers - pants
Road (surface)- pavement!
Car boot - trunk
" bonnet - hood
exhaust - muffler
sweets - candy
biscuits - cookies
biscuits for cheese - crackers
scones - biscuits!
(very big) scones - scones
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

We have great fun with our Canadian friends and family about things that we say to each other.

One thing I recommend that you don't request of any Canadian is to "knock you up in the morning" I can say it doesn't mean getting you out of bed and my cousin Craig had a very strange look on his face if you know what I mean.

Here are the ones I heard last week whilst I was over there - the clean ones wanyway !

Cigarettes = smokes
Trainers = sneakers
Purse = wallet
Handbag = Purse (Very confusing)
Mobile phone = cell
rubbish = garbage
dog = puppy
petrol = gas
toilet = bathroom
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Just read a thread there and seen that Trainers are called runners , this is just another new word that I have learned and will be passing it on to the kids when they get up in the morning, What I`m asking is for every one that is already there, or not to give the British names of the objects then the Canadian name, as I think that the more I can help my 2 kids 13 and 9 to understand what their new friends are talking about and also to be understood, then the better they will feel, In Nov/dec when we move out.

I will mention the ones I have learned so far.

Rubber = Eraser
Pavement = Sidewalk
Trainers = Runners
Mum = Mom
What about cross-trainers?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:38 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Toilet = bathroom, washroom (most common especially when out and about), rest-room.

Bin = garbage.... what you put IN the bin is also garbage.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

I work in a hotel, and I still get confused looks when I ask for a guests "surname", I just kind of get starred at until I correct myself and ask for "last name"
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

here is an exhaustive and exhausting list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_slang
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

This is good too. UK, US and Canadian equivalents

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsiss...canvocaba.html
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:06 am
little snowy owl

They don't use the term "fortnight" .... it is "two weeks"

Telling the time is always eg 2.30, 1.45, 3.20
They don't say eg half-past 2, quarter to 2, or 20 past 3.

And they don't tend to say "twice", or even "once"; it'd be "two times" or "one time"
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
UK 'get orff my land'

CAN 'you are in my field'

heard this humorous one the other day

cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

I hear "quarter after" for quarter past, and as time has changed handbag is becoming more used than purse . Even jam is now used more than jelly- used to be only jelly back then. Don't use the word "knickers" for underwear - not that I like the Canadian name "panties" either- we just used "underwear" or underpants with the children- I still can't say P***-UGH!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:41 am
little snowy owl

oh yes, I forrgot they do say "...... after" rather than past. Do they say "before" as well???
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:51 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

I find it fascinating that we can be divided by a common language.

Some of my observations on words:

Pants for trousers (can't get used to this one)

Truck or semi for a Lorry (don't ever use lorry if you don't want to set off a whole Austin Powers imitation fest).

Swim suit - bathing suit gets blank stares. Hell even saying toe-mah-toe not toe-may-toe gets a blank stare.

Toque ("tewk") for a beanie hat - national attire.

My small collection of slang is at:
http://www.relocation2bc.com/slang.htm

and more contributions gratefully received.

Awesome...

Frank
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Hell even saying toe-mah-toe not toe-may-toe gets a blank stare.
I say tomato. If the server does not get the idea I say "those red things". It is unfortunate that so many people in Canada are functionally illiterate but it is not helpful to indulge them.

One of the many things they say which causes me hair tearing is "East Indian" to mean someone from India. Last night indeed there was a cooking show on the television in which people from Saskatchewan were invited to a wedding involving someone from India and introduced to food with spices; my laughing at their discovery of the spicy dish "butter chicken" was somewhat spoiled by wanting to punch the TV at every reference to the nation of East India.

They speak poorly here eh? They know little of events outside their town eh? We should do what we can to improve their elocution and knowledge of the world, under no circumstances should we ape their mannerisms, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.