Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Education System

Canadian Education System

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Livelifetothefull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Education System

We have been in Canada for nearly 2 years and our DC is in the Canadian curriculum after being in the UK system. I have to say it’s been a shock to the system. Even though they are a year behind the uk, the method of teaching in Canada is a lot different as such my DC is struggling, Maths and English have taken a knock. This is elementary, which I’ve heard is poor compared to uk, however I've heard high schools are better.

Would a private school (no British ones where we are) help.

tia

Last edited by Livelifetothefull; Nov 3rd 2022 at 2:53 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Education System

There is no Canadian eduation system any more than there is a European education system. Each province in Canada is in control of its province's education system, and it can be vastly different from one province to the next. What province are you in?

Generally speaking, the culture around school and how parents think about school is quite different in Canada than it is in the UK. It sounds like you're inadvertently experiencing a culture shock. Education here is not bad, it's just different. You might not have anticipated the differences, hence the discomfort. The question is, will you be able to adjust your expectations around eduation and go with the flow and accept that Canada is simply not the UK, or will you continue to look at this through a UK lens, compare, and continue your discomfort?

In Canada, generally speaking, elementary school is for children to play and be children and try different things and become well-rounded children. There's not much emphasis competing at an academic level. Canadian parents just accept this as status quo. They don't stress about this. In high school, playtime lessens and academics ramp up quickly, and the teens by then are prepared. By the time they graduate high school, they compete for universities around the world and get accepted into them, just like their British peers. There's nothing to worry about.

In my experience, a child who is curious, driven, and academically-minded will go to universty whether they are in a public school or in a private school in Canada. Private schools are exclusive (they deny children who aren't academic, and deny families who can't afford them, which artifically skews them toward higher achieving results). They're not necessarily better schools. They just have gatekeeping to keep the riff raff out. They cost a lot more money and are generally religious insitutions. Public schools are more inclusive, regardless if you're an academic, non-academic, or neurodivergent. From what I've seen in Canada (family members are teachers), it's the student and their performance, not the school, that determines whether a child continues on to university. I personally would not be concerned.

Last edited by Lychee; Nov 3rd 2022 at 5:00 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 5:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Livelifetothefull
We have been in Canada for nearly 2 years and our DC is in the Canadian curriculum after being in the UK system. I have to say it’s been a shock to the system. Even though they are a year behind the uk, the method of teaching in Canada is a lot different as such my DC is struggling, Maths and English have taken a knock. This is elementary, which I’ve heard is poor compared to uk, however I've heard high schools are better.

tia
I have three letters for you, IBO. If you want your child to win at school, find an IB school, ideally a state funded IB school.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

tia
It's elementary school so I wouldn't worry over much at this point. Is your child happy in the school? If they are then just accept it may be taking them a little longer to adapt to the different ways of teaching and the very different culture over here. The real academics don't start until high school. We found the elementary system a little unnerving too, as it seemed like they were learning nothing. Ours went through the state system from start to finish and, although it required a lot of blind faith in the system - we are happy with the educational standard and level of knowledge that both kids ended up with. Obviously - if your child is not happy then you may want to look for an alternative, but if they are then hang on in there.'
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 7:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

tia
Our kids enjoyed/experienced a bit of almost all systems. Both started education in preschool then primary school in the UK. Then on moving to Canada, both went through the public elementary system. Both kids then boarded in the private secondary system in Canada. The eldest is now back in the UK as an international student studying Biology at University of York. The youngest is still in Grade 10 and loving it. So, I think it depends on many factors, not least the children themselves and their aspirations, capabilities and ambitions. Going through education in Canada certainly didn't hinder the opportunities for the eldest. She actually got offers from all 5 UK Universities she applied to. The younger child has set her aspirations on a US University. I'd stay pretty relaxed and allow them to enjoy the experience.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 10:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was reminded of this thread when reading about Ukraine families hosted by Brits.
Most Ukrainian parents with school-age children are surprised at British schools’ focus on wellbeing and at the leisurely pace of teaching maths and science compared with the pressure put on children in Ukraine. “The school is really friendly, but the levels in maths are lower,” says Hanna Sukhanova, who is staying in Saffron Walden with her eight-year-old daughter, Taya. “In Ukraine, she was doing homework until 11 o’clock at night. Here she doesn’t have any homework. She’s happy – I’m worried.”