Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Driving License

Canadian Driving License

Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice
Default Re: Canadian Driving License

Yep I got that too yesterday - nothing too taxing though...

Originally Posted by The Aviator
They do?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Just thought I would add my experience to this. I have just swapped my old paper driving licence to a new Nova Scotian one. Naturally, I took my licence with me and lots of other types of identification, including my passport but they asked only for the licence. They took my photo, checked the type of licence I needed on their data sheet and then issued me with a licence. Nothing else, no sight test although I did confirm I wore glasses for driving and that was noted in my licence but that was it.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

I just picked up my BC license this afternoon - took about 20 minutes including waiting in line for 10 minutes.

There was no problem that it was over the 3 months - when asked when the last time I entered BC and how long I'd been here, I just told him I last entered late last year, and that I haven't been driving over here yet.

My vision test was perfect here - despite needing to wear glasses in England (I'll still wear them mind for long range vision - but I like not having to wear them!)

Oh and the safety questions - asked me about the green lights - I started rambling on about how the most of Canada you have right of way, but in BC you are expected to stop if necessary as it is a pedestrian controlled light (and then we went on to discuss how ridiculous it is that BC is different in the most part to the rest of Canada). Also asked about a school bus with flashing red lights (I just said yield and keep a safe distance) and also why motorcyclists are more vulnerable that other road-users (I used blind spot and lack of protection reasoning - although I should have argued that a hit a run from a rival biker gang was equally applicable).

Overall - it seems like you're going to just have to see who you get on the day, but it definitely looks like the licensing is at the employees discretion (within reason!).
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Also asked about a school bus with flashing red lights (I just said yield and keep a safe distance)
Surprised they let that one go, you have to stop, not yield to the bus.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

stopping completely for s school bus is one of the few traffic procedures everyone around here seems to have mastered. Yet another nasty rear-ender yesterday on the Trans Canada Highway south of Duncan.

Why do Canadians drive so dangerously?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Why do Canadians drive so dangerously?
My theory is that it's because most of them drive auto's that give you no feel for the road and therefore requires no anticipation to change gears.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:31 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

I don't think I was too far off with my answer - my more long winded answer was stop and yield (probably could/should have just said stop - I added yield to signify that the bus's actions would be the indicator to begin my motion again) to the bus at a safe distance away until the red lights ended/the bus resumes it's journey - I just shortened it for my post.

It's not too far off what the law seems to be.

I'm going to need a few driving trips on quieter roads and sign/lights study before hitting the road properly - I did my first hill start in an automatic yesterday (people who frequent New Westminster know the ridiculous hills about here). I was crapping myself that being in drive was akin to having the clutch fully pushed down, and that I'd need to hammer down the gas as soon as the brake is released (thankfully the other half's friend drives a manual and explained it before we went for a drive!).
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by james.mc
That's interesting as I'll also be looking to swap out a motorcycle licence too in BC, so it'll be good for me to answer what I am vulnerable to, when taking other road users into account
If it's like Alberta then they won't swap your bike license just your car.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
If it's like Alberta then they won't swap your bike license just your car.
Nope you get your bike license swapped in BC
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Just a heads up for any diabetics swapping their licence in BC - you have to have a medical. They give you the licence anyway but give you a form to get the medical done in 45 days. As we went 2 weeks after arriving we are not covered yet by medicare so it costs $75.
The moral of the story - if diabetic don't be in a hurry to change your licence
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Just a heads up for any diabetics swapping their licence in BC - you have to have a medical. They give you the licence anyway but give you a form to get the medical done in 45 days. As we went 2 weeks after arriving we are not covered yet by medicare so it costs $75.
I'm not sure the cost of the medical would be covered by medicare anyway, it is considered to be a third party medical.

This is the case in Alberta, I have to have a medical for my drivers license every two years and Alberta Healthcare does not cover the cost.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

Hi Native NewYorker,
Did you get your Diabetic medical done yet? If so, can you let me know here please? I've been into drop-in centres & they're saying it 's upward of $130 & not the $75 quoted on the form!?!
Thanks!!

Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm not sure the cost of the medical would be covered by medicare anyway, it is considered to be a third party medical.

This is the case in Alberta, I have to have a medical for my drivers license every two years and Alberta Healthcare does not cover the cost.
Drivers medical is not covered by heatlhcare programs in Canada. You have to pay, it can be up to $150 depending where you go.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I am hopefully going on Friday so will let you know how much they charge me!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

OK great thanks - would be verrry interested to know!

I am hopefully going on Friday so will let you know how much they charge me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.