Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
I'm heading the other way but agree with most of the other posters in saying that you should definitely go for it. It seems you are young and not happy with where you are so with nothing holding you back then why not.

I love the Uk and am fully aware of how good it is compared to the rest of the world but unlike you, I am more of an outdoor person and enjoy the open space, something that is at a premium here - hence me heading in the other direction.

I hope I'm not going to be negative here but will point out some things to be aware of / that haven't been mentioned so far.

As someone young looking for a good time and a big adventure then I would definitely suggest London as your first place to check rather than the other cities. There just seems to be so much to do there as you have to bear in mind London has 10 million people whereas Birmingham has just over a million (2nd biggest city)- there will always be something fresh going on for you to get involved in. I live just outside london and worked in Birmingham for a couple of years and to be honest apart from the shopping it didn't really have much going for it. London is a good place to start if you don't drive as well as it is the hub of Southern England and most railways etc go into / out of it. It is also the most expensive place in the country too and the salaries often reflect this (called London weigthing) - If you work elsewhere you won't be paid as much and will find it a lot more expensive to visit. You can then do weekends away to other cities as well - Manchester, York, Bristol and Liverpool are all great places to head for young people IMO.

The public transport is better in London but bear in mind you pay for it as well. There is no flat fee for Subway travel - it is based on zones and to travel across the city, a return ticket can work out a bit more expensive than you think. Buses are ok but outside of the congestion zone, traffic in rush hours is generally really bad so it can often be quicker to walk shorter distances. If you are travelling between cities beware that the trains can cost a lot more as well and it is often cheaper to book tickets in advance online rather than pay on the day.

It is dirtier here - a lot dirtier. You will see a lot of rubbish on the streets compared with Toronto. I was amazed at the difference. The air quality is noticably different too - blow your nose after a day in the city and see what comes out

With respect to jobs - I think the UK is about to go into another recession. Agreed the UK isn't actually in the Euro but we have a lot of financial interest in it and will be effected by what's about to happen. It has hit a lot harder there than in Canada and I think the UK cuts aren't really being felt yet (Public service cuts). I'm an IT contractor and there are a fair few jobs available BUT there is a hell of a lot of interest from contractors from the sub continent that are undercutting a lot of UK contractors - these are people that were working in the sub contractor centres of Mumbai etc that have realised that they can be paid a lot more here to do the same job as they were doing out there. If you are adaptable and are able to dynamically develop products with a client without strict specs then you will be very employable but you need to be as much of a BA as a software developer to stand out from the crowd at the moment. Send your CV off to a few agencies and see what you can expect (check out jobserve for a good place to start looking for IT jobs)

People aren't as polite in the cities here. It's heads down and go about your business and don't make eye contact with anyone. Speak to anyone and you will be regarded as a weirdo. It's not as bad on the outskirts though and you can reguarly strike up conversations with strangers (the further north the better IMO). Saying that, I lived in Brixton for a while and the sense of community where we lived was fantastic. Generally people are negative though and love to moan about things but apathy rules so hardly anyone does anything about it.

London is one of the best places in the world for music IMO. Such a variety and some of the best I have encountered. Be it jazz bars, techno clubs or banks playing in pubs. Something for everyone.

Choose a football team In London I would suggest Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham or Fulham - not Arsenal though, never Arsenal (don't choose a northern club as you will be viewed as a glory hunter) - get yourself to a game and find out what it's all about too - you can get tickets for Fulham games at Craven Cottage and it is a good place to start and see the crowds etc. It is a tribal thing here, much more so than hockey in my experience and is great fun if you don;t take it too seriously.

If you head over and want some recommendations for cheap days out to see things over here then drop me a PM and I will let you know a few of my favourite places to visit out of the way

PS - I also had to laugh at your comments re the Mayor of Toronto being a clown. You are aware of Boris Johnson?
I pretty much agree with most of this. Although there are plenty of northern football teams that don't win anything. So you wouldn't be classed as a glory hunter unless you followed Man Utd - or possibly Man City now. Also, the population difference between London and Birmingham is not the 10 to 1 that you quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:53 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Originally Posted by FedUpCanadian
[I]

I qualify for the ancestry visa, and work in a field (web development) that I assume is relatively in-demand. I’m in no huge hurry to leave, but if I eventually do move to a relatively large English city (London, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc.) do you think I’d be happier across the pond? Or am I just projecting what I think Canada should be like onto England? I've been to London and the surrounding area before, but it's hard to suss out the values of a country from one two-week visit.

Thanks, and sorry again for the backwards topic!
I lived in the UK a couple of times, most recently returning after a 9 year stay. I'd say go for it but you'll find day to day life can be more taxing in some ways especially if you live in London. I found it a struggle the first year or two and it was difficult to save but once settled in I liked it. I may one day go back.

Some of the positives:

-more job opportunities (if you in the south east)
-better social scene
-sense of humour
-better public transportation
-free museums, galleries etc
-ease of access to rest of Europe and beyond
-television is better

Some of the negatives

-rents and public transportation expensive
-crowded (reduced sense of personal space can be a shock for a Canadian)
-bureaucracy (it's different from Canada's)
-train cancellations
-pollution (blow your nose after riding the tube and you'll see)
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I pretty much agree with most of this. Although there are plenty of northern football teams that don't win anything. So you wouldn't be classed as a glory hunter unless you followed Man Utd - or possibly Man City now. Also, the population difference between London and Birmingham is not the 10 to 1 that you quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
I'll admit that I was going on figures in my head from a few years back. quite surprised at those figures although London does feel that much bigger - especially the city centre
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Paradiseapplebody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Poorer is relative. Last year one of my children sold her house on Toronto's Danforth and moved to the east end of London (Tower Hamlets, Limehouse tube). She loves it because she's in a big city with access to Europe and yet she can walk to work. But, she owned a nice house in Toronto in a reasonably fashionable area, her rent in the east end is the equivalent of $1000 a week (GBP450) and she has no chance of buying anything. Stepping into the big league isn't a win in every way.
Um, sorry to break it to you, but the Might of the British Pound has lost a lot of ground as of the last couple years, and GBP450 is roughly $750 CAD/USD. Quite honestly, I think Canada should be a little flexible with the 2% inflation target that Thiesson proposed, and do what the Swiss did in terms of putting a cap on how high the Franc could go to like 120 to the EURO, in that they should cap the Canadian dollar value to no be worth more than 85 cents US to keep exports going. I think 1 pound british should be worth at least 2 dollars Canadian.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradiseapplebody
Um, sorry to break it to you, but the Might of the British Pound has lost a lot of ground as of the last couple years, and GBP450 is roughly $750 CAD/USD.
Well, yes, I converted GBP500 yesterday. The point remains, living in a big city, such as London is fantastically more expensive than living in a small one, like Toronto. Toronto's quieter, safer, sleepier, cheaper; arguably a better place for the middle aged, but the poster isn't middle aged.

Back with MarylandNed's point about air quality, "worst in Europe" is just that, it doesn't help with a comparison with Ontario. AFAIK, London has no "smog days". The health and safety standards are generally much higher there so I have to think there are no days as bad there as the few per year here when the government doesn't think it's safe to walk outside.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradiseapplebody
Um, sorry to break it to you, but the Might of the British Pound has lost a lot of ground as of the last couple years, and GBP450 is roughly $750 CAD/USD. Quite honestly, I think Canada should be a little flexible with the 2% inflation target that Thiesson proposed, and do what the Swiss did in terms of putting a cap on how high the Franc could go to like 120 to the EURO, in that they should cap the Canadian dollar value to no be worth more than 85 cents US to keep exports going. I think 1 pound british should be worth at least 2 dollars Canadian.
Who Thiesson?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, I converted GBP500 yesterday. The point remains, living in a big city, such as London is fantastically more expensive than living in a small one, like Toronto. Toronto's quieter, safer, sleepier, cheaper; arguably a better place for the middle aged, but the poster isn't middle aged.

Back with MarylandNed's point about air quality, "worst in Europe" is just that, it doesn't help with a comparison with Ontario. AFAIK, London has no "smog days". The health and safety standards are generally much higher there so I have to think there are no days as bad there as the few per year here when the government doesn't think it's safe to walk outside.
Right, but I also gave a comparison with Toronto - albeit a personal one. I've lived in both cities and London was much dirtier and more polluted IMO. As I said, my daughter (who was perfectly healthy in Toronto) developed asthma during her 2 years in London. Could be coincidence - except for the fact that her health improved dramatically after leaving London.

Also, I don't agree that Toronto is a "small" city. Certainly smaller than London but it's still a very big place - the 4th largest city in North America (after New York, LA and Chicago).

One thing to remember about air pollution is that the offending particles don't always originate in the affected city. So Toronto could do everything possible to reduce air pollution and still import air pollution from elsewhere due to air flow. Toronto actually imports air pollution from the US (e.g. Ohio). Of course, the source doesn't matter that much if you're living in the affected city. My point is just that it's not always the fault of the affected city - or country. Having said that, local traffic and industry probably makes up the bulk of air pollution so investment in public transportation is an effective weapon - one that Toronto has failed to use.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but I also gave a comparison with Toronto - albeit a personal one. I've lived in both cities and London was much dirtier and more polluted IMO. As I said, my daughter (who was perfectly healthy in Toronto) developed asthma during her 2 years in London. Could be coincidence - except for the fact that her health improved dramatically after leaving London..
Also personal experiance,
I currently work in one of the big office blocks by the airport (YYZ), I can see the yellow haze across the city in the morning
Toronto's air isn't clean!!
and I never remember seing a haze like it in London or Birmingham
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I currently work in one of the big office blocks by the airport (YYZ), I can see the yellow haze across the city in the morning
Most major air pollutants are actually invisible.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:30 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

yep.. doesn't say much for Toronto when it got the colored variety too,
I believe a significant part will be automotive pollutants
Along with the industrial output, I imagine some will be blow over form Hamilton’s steel works too.

But for what it’s worth, even on a rainy day like today, right now, you can see the brown/yellow haze on the horizon
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If air quality is important to you then don't live in major city. I can't speak for Toronto, but London isn't actually that bad; there is far far worse out there.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yep.. doesn't say much for Toronto when it got the colored variety too,
I believe a significant part will be automotive pollutants
Along with the industrial output, I imagine some will be blow over form Hamilton’s steel works too.

But for what it’s worth, even on a rainy day like today, right now, you can see the brown/yellow haze on the horizon
Visibility isn't always an accurate indicator of air quality. For example, on rainy days or days with high humidity, fog is often mistaken for haze.

There are different harmful pollutants and not all are visible - most actually aren't. So you can still have high air pollution on perfectly clear days. For example, Carbon Monoxide is completely colourless, odourless and tasteless. PM10's are minute particles completely invisible to the naked eye. Sulphur Dioxide is colourless. Ozone is also colourless and large quantities often build up on clear, sunny days. Whether there is a visible effect depends on many factors such as the type of pollutants, presence/absence of sunlight, wind, humidity, temperature, pressure, reactions between pollutants, etc.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 9th 2011 at 7:46 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes most are, but the haze over e.g. Toronto is due to Mie scattering of sunlight by particles; many of these arise because of photochemical reactions among those invisible pollutants such as hydrocarbons, ozone and NO2 (which also gives the haze it's yellowy-brown tint).

The haziness is a pretty good measure of the overall pollution.

I don't have data readily to hand for London, but a quick google suggests that the particulate levels in downtown Toronto and London are comparable, as is ozone pollution. There are more high ozone events in Toronto, all in the summers, but that's not surprising because the reactions which produce ozone are quite strongly dependent on temperature. The July/Aug average temperatures are at least 10C higher in Toronto than London which results roughly in a doubling of ozone production rate here, all other things being equal.

Edit: crosspost, sorry.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have - check this out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-air-pollution
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:02 pm
Part Time Poster

I'll take NOVO's comments I believe he is/was a pubblished expert in the field of airborne pollutants, if he says comparable they’re comparable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.