Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

If you are grumpy in Canada there is a very good chance you will be grumpy in the UK too.

I say go for it, if for nothing else just to experience some real cheese and marvel at all the UK has to offer, like cheap car insurance.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

FedUpCanadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian considering move to England — are my impressions realistic?

Originally Posted by headingwest
If you are grumpy in Canada there is a very good chance you will be grumpy in the UK too.

I say go for it, if for nothing else just to experience some real cheese and marvel at all the UK has to offer, like cheap car insurance.
I'm lactose intollerant and a non-driver .
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FedUpCanadian
I know far less about the UK Conservative party, but my impression is that it's far less right-wing than ours. I'm not old enough to know this first hand, but I have a general respect for Canada's Progressive Conservative tradition. The history is hard to get into a blog post, but the Conservative party of today has more to do with the Reform party, a fringe western far-right party that Stephen Harper comes from. Ontario's conservative party is still called the PCs, but they also shifted far to the right in the Mike Harris era -- this isn't the Bill Davis PC party.

At this point, the Conservative movement in Canada is much less about fiscal prudence, social cohesion, and tradition; and far more about slash-and-burn, starve-the-beast cuts and tax reductions, religious social policy, anti-intellectualism, and chasing failed American policies. That may sound over-the-top and it's certainly an oversimplification, but this line of thinking is becoming somewhat of a consensus among those who follow this stuff here. I think our left-wing tradition has been slowly fading as the country is culturally subsumed by the USA, and as the wake of the great depression becomes more of a historical footnote and less of a warning sign. Post Trudeu-era, it seems to me that the only reason the Liberals (who I might add have also shifted right in policy) continued to win was right-wing vote splitting, Quebec's progressive politics, and Conservative ineptitude, none of which are in their favour anymore.
Could you go over the bolded parts.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The UK Conservative party has had its right wing extremist phases in the past, but now it's basically just incompetent and lead by a moron.

But go and find out for yourself.

Not at all over the top, rather a bit spot on.

BTW, I rate this thread as excellent, largely because of your articulate and reasoned posts.
Politicians and their parties come and go. It would have been just as appropriate to say the following in the past:

The UK Labour party has had its left wing extremist phases in the past, but now it's basically just incompetent and lead by a lunatic.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Would you or someone else care to elaborate? I get the sense Birmingham is turning into somewhat of a tech centre, which is part of the reason I was considering it. I haven't been there, but don't get the sense there's quite as much going on there culturally.
Birmingham gets a bad reputation mainly because the accent is a little comical , but it's not a bad place at all, we lived in a nearby suburb for 11 years before we moved to the US. It has undergone a lot of regeneration and there's plenty to do and good transport links to the rest of the country.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest the OP thinks of Mississauga, but without the charm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:55 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Try Scotland - much less of an issue with the recession and with a much nicer population density. Not that it at all matters where you choose to settle for your time in the UK seeing as Edinburgh can be reached by train in 4 hours from London. The joys of a compact nation.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Politicians and their parties come and go. It would have been just as appropriate to say the following in the past:

The UK Labour party has had its left wing extremist phases in the past, but now it's basically just incompetent and lead by a lunatic.
I'm sorry but what's your point? The OP was admitting lack of knowledge in comparing the UK conservatives to Harper's regime. I was only trying to help.

If you want to compare, say Gordon Brown with Hugo Chavez, that's your prerogative. But not very helpful.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but what's your point? The OP was admitting lack of knowledge in comparing the UK conservatives to Harper's regime. I was only trying to help.

If you want to compare, say Gordon Brown with Hugo Chavez, that's your prerogative. But not very helpful.
Clearly the point is that political parties and politicans don't matter all that much whether in the UK or Canada. Cheap shots based on personal prejudices can be directed at whatever target suits personal preference.

I was referring to Brown's previous boss. Blair was clearly delusional at best and certainly a con artist - although most charming admittedly. Brown wasn't, just very very limited. I'm not a great admirer of Cameron but he doesn't need to be that good to be better than his opponents.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Clearly the point is that political parties and politicans don't matter all that much whether in the UK or Canada. Cheap shots based on personal prejudices can be directed at whatever target suits personal preference.

I was referring to Brown's previous boss. Blair was clearly delusional at best and certainly a con artist - although most charming admittedly. Brown wasn't, just very very limited. I'm not a great admirer of Cameron but he doesn't need to be that good to be better than his opponents.
And all this is helping the OP in what way exactly?

He's been articulate in expressing his feelings (as a 21 yr old) about his future prospects in Canada and is considering the UK as an alternative.

At the risk of triggering Vader's apparent auto-alert to the local threat of strength in the Force, I say again... go for it young Jedi.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

He's been articulate in expressing his feelings (as a 21 yr old) about his future prospects in Canada and is considering the UK as an alternative.

At the risk of triggering Vader's apparent auto-alert to the local threat of strength in the Force, I say again... go for it young Jedi.
But thats the point he hasn't elaborated to us his impressions of the UK only told everyone why he hates Canada mainly due to the politics. He asked "are my impressions realistic?" but failed to give any.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, at the age of 21 why not give it a try and see for himself? Impressions are bound to be subjective to some extent.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:52 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headingwest

I'm lactose intollerant and a non-driver .
Touche!!

I second, (third, or otherwise agree with), the suggestion that you take a working holiday ... work and stay for a year or two and then analyse depending on your experience.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

Don't let me dissuade you from moving here – you may love it, and many do. Canada is not a bad place to live!

Over the last few years, I’ve become increasingly pessimistic of the direction Canada is going (politically, and otherwise), and sick of its culture (or lack thereof).

I qualify for the ancestry visa, and work in a field (web development) that I assume is relatively in-demand. I’m in no huge hurry to leave, but if I eventually do move to a relatively large English city (London, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc.) do you think I’d be happier across the pond? Or am I just projecting what I think Canada should be like onto England? I've been to London and the surrounding area before, but it's hard to suss out the values of a country from one two-week visit.
Originally Posted by mardyarse
But thats the point he hasn't elaborated to us his impressions of the UK only told everyone why he hates Canada mainly due to the politics. He asked "are my impressions realistic?" but failed to give any.
I suggest you reread his original post, excerpted above.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I say go have a look at the world too, no matter where they go. They did say they were a political science student, and political direction seemed to be a motivating reason. I was hoping for a bit of articulation and depth since we lack that from certain other people who don't like Canadian politics. Regardless it is no matter.

OP, feel free to explore the universe while you are young, it can be harder to do as your get older. Most importantly have a good plan and strategy that is flexible.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Nov 7th 2011 at 12:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.