Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:37 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Just a thought from someone who has asked the question. I was told, which may well be just a position taken by the person offering advise, that the CIC, CHC do not like potential immigrants applying for PR when on a work VISA. It may well be wrong though. Have you asked the CHC/CIC for their position?
My understanding is that it's ok to apply for PR when you have a work visa sorted out, but doing it the other way is looked on less favourably, But then on other forums I have heard of people who have applied for PR, got jobs and come to Canada while waiting for PR to come through.... I decided to wait till I come over, but maybe its something that I should pay for proper advice on...
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:39 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
My understanding is that it's ok to apply for PR when you have a work visa sorted out, but doing it the other way is looked on less favourably, But then on other forums I have heard of people who have applied for PR, got jobs and come to Canada while waiting for PR to come through.... I decided to wait till I come over, but maybe its something that I should pay for proper advice on...
I find that the company who got you the work visa are often quite happy to allow their lawyers to assist you with moving to PR..

mine have offered their lawyers at no cost to me.. all I have to do is pay the CIC fee's and let the laywer do the rest..
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Just a thought from someone who has asked the question. I was told, which may well be just a position taken by the person offering advise, that the CIC, CHC do not like potential immigrants applying for PR when on a work VISA. It may well be wrong though. Have you asked the CHC/CIC for their position?
I never had any problem with doing that (other than saving sufficient funds for landing in the time available ) It never even crossed my mind that CIC would have a problem with it, if anything I would think they would welcome PR applications from EA holders, as they know these people have obviously got employment in Canada already, and are settled to the place well enough to want to make it permenant.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
It's not an unusual thing to happen ... hence the Buffalo Shuffle ... I don't know if they've changed the rules, but when I came over you couldn't apply for PR while you were on Canadian soil ... the answer was to take a vacation in Buffalo or down in Mexico and make the application there.
You dont have to leave Canada to apply, but you must send the application to Buffallo. In the event of an interview it would be in Buffalo (well, if you live in Ontario), so you need to be legally able to visit the US to do it that way, otherwise you would sendit all to London, which has a longer processing time. I suspect that in practice if you had done something to get yourself barred from the US (Other than for being Cat Stevens), then your PR application was probably doomed to fail anyway?

Last edited by iaink; Oct 14th 2004 at 4:05 pm.