Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:26 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Canadian citizenship ... why bother??

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
It should be revenue neutral; otherwise it's being sold at what the market will bear. And there shouldn't be a citizenship market.
In reality there is a citizenship market ... I remember working with a guy from HK who could tell you what it cost to buy your way into every western country.

I don't believe that the government should pay for anyone's immigration costs ... it's down to the individual to fund it all by themselves.

As a new immigrant, you're faced with trying to create a new life ... costs multiply at every turn.

There has been a lot of discussion on the importance of networking ... with a new immigrant's limited cash supply and earning potential, what is the priority for spending money?

Networking? Training? Applying for citizenship?

Right now we're working on the first two and paying for some of it ourselves with no guarantee of success ... the result is that the last priority will have to slide for a few months.

The reality is that every new immigrant wants to become established and get a slice of the Canadian pie as quickly as possible ... it's cash that dictates what you get to be and when.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:30 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

It is an interesting point though, putting aside the issue about employment availability in Canada, it is stating the obvious that Canada needs an influx of skilled workers to help support the economy and promote future growth in the infrastructure.

Now, to most people, gaining those skills that Canada apparently is so desperate for, has cost them, and their country of origin, a heck of a lot of money, not a penny of which Canada has provided. On top of this, these skilled workers will continue to work and help to contribute to the Canadian Revenue for a long time. Add on the the tens of millions of pounds in foreign currency that these newcomers bring into the Country, and then to ask these same people to pay hefty fees for the privilage of applying for the right to live in Canada is added insult to injury.

Originally Posted by iaink
As for the application fees, why the hell should the rest of us pay for all the security and administration checks so you can become a citizen.

Lets see, We have to get all our documents ready, notarised, get police checks done, in effect get the whole package ready for a clerical officer to tick all the right boxes, and then to approve our application, and it still takes them on average over a year to do this. Yes I am simplifying matters, and there is a lot of paperwork checking going on in the background, but there is really no logic in the cost of the fees charges against the actual cost verses the benefit of gaining yet another skilled worker to support the Canadian Economy.

Sorry Iain, got to disagree with you on this mate.

Last edited by Covenant; Oct 13th 2004 at 8:42 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:33 pm
Glaswegian

As a dual citizen it probably increases flight risk as if I packed it all in and went back to GB, I am free to return at any time to canada if returning was a mistake.
I know I'll regret asking this ... do I have to give up my UK citizenship to make Canadian employers happ?

I take it Glas didnt agree with me that citizenship is a personal decision and shouldnt be supported by a lot of government funding
Nope, quite the opposite ... but I am curious as to whether the PR card & citizenship process is truly revenue neutral.

You should know by now that I'm very conservative ... I don't like to see the government spending money anywhere it doesn't have to.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:44 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Covenant
Now, to most people, gaining those skills that Canada apparently is so desperate for, has cost them, and their country of origin, a heck of a lot of money, not a penny of which Canada has provided. On top of this, these skilled workers will continue to work and help to contribute to the Canadian Revenue for a long time. Add on the the tens of millions of pounds in foreign currency that these newcomers bring into the Country, and then to ask these same people to pay hefty fees for the privilage of applying for the right to live in Canada is added insult to injury.
Very nicely put ... it would be nice to see a system where you could earn citizenship ... but would that reward people who don't contribute skills and taxes to the economy?

Canada does like to have everything it's own way ...

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is that the Canadian government knows that if its employers really do have one of those International catches the company will pay the PR and citizenship to keep them..(not me ) and write the contract accordingly.. if it won’t then it’s not that good a catch and why should the government pay for the second raters…
And I’m sure those fees paid by companies are tax deductible
Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:00 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The reality is that the Canadian government knows that if its employers really do have one of those International catches the company will pay the PR and citizenship to keep them..(not me ) and write the contract accordingly.. if it won’t then it’s not that good a catch and why should the government pay for the second raters…
And I’m sure those fees paid by companies are tax deductible
Haven't heard of that one happening, is that reality or rumour?

Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Covenant

Sorry Iain, got to disagree with you on this mate.
I agree with your points about the economic benefits reaped by Canada from PRs, but this was a thread about Citizenship, not PR.

There is no economic benefit to Canada from people already here as PRs becoming Citizens that I can see, but hopefully the fees charged cover the expense of the process and no more than that, it would certainly be interesting to know. I thought CIC was supposed to be entirely "revenue neutral" although I doubt it is.

As far as citizenship goes though , they do supply those nice maple cookies at the citizenship ceremony you know, and they aint cheap, plus there was a very nice cake too

Last edited by iaink; Oct 13th 2004 at 9:30 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Haven't heard of that one happening, is that reality or rumour?
My employer paid for my work permit application, and later for my PR application. I guess they must have been desperate. I didnt ask them, or expect them to pay for citizenship. Maybe I should have!

Now they've got me they dont seem too keen to pay me more though That will probably come as no surprise to all those already living here

Last edited by iaink; Oct 13th 2004 at 9:34 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:29 pm
Glaswegian

My employer paid for my work permit application, and later for my PR application. I guess they must have been desperate. I didnt ask them, or expect them to pay for citizenship. Maybe I should have!
They must have wanted you ... I got laid off from my first job soon after I asked when the annual salary review was going to happen.

When the first review came up for my current job, I posted my resume on Monster and Workopolis in preparation!! They're also a recruitment agency, so they found my resume, I was asked for an explanation when I got into work the next day.

Paying the PR fees back in the UK feels like paying for a pig in a poke ... you shell out a large amount of dosh in application fees, medicals, etc, without a real clue about what you're moving into.

Now they've got me they dont seem too keen to pay me more though That will probably come as no surprise to all those already living here
They're nice to you while they want to hire you, but .... I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to get significant salary uplifts is to move jobs every few years ... a bit like the IT job market was back in the 80's in the UK.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I became a Canadian citizen years ago, simply because I was working for lawyers. I acted as the initial director for corporations and the rules changed to say that you needed a majority of Canadian citizens. So I did it for that reason. My husband applied at the same time. I have no idea whether we would have done it otherwise, maybe not.

My sister, on the other hand, has lived in Canada for over 30 years but never bothered to become a citizen. One year people came around and asked for the names of adults living in her house, which information she gave and thus was put on the voter's list, even though she isn't supposed to be able to vote, not being Canadian!!

I think she probably feels about as Canadian as I do. I am happy that I did not have to give up my UK citizenship.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:52 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by lizwil98
One year people came around and asked for the names of adults living in her house, which information she gave and thus was put on the voter's list, even though she isn't supposed to be able to vote, not being Canadian!!
I almost got on it too by the same method ... the guy was writing my name down and I pointed out I wasn't a citizen.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:55 pm
Glaswegian

I acted as the initial director for corporations and the rules changed to say that you needed a majority of Canadian citizens.
Interestingly the Alberta legislation refers to directors as having to be "Canadian" ... but being a PR counts as being a Canadian for the purposes of establishing an Alberta corporation.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

...My sister, on the other hand, has lived in Canada for over 30 years but never bothered to become a citizen. One year people came around and asked for the names of adults living in her house, which information she gave and thus was put on the voter's list, even though she isn't supposed to be able to vote, not being Canadian!!...
Thirty years ago Britons resident in Canada could legally vote without being Canadian citizens. Just as a point of interest.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

[/QUOTE]

.... I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to get significant salary uplifts is to move jobs every few years ... a bit like the IT job market was back in the 80's in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Well that seems to be the way it works in canada for everyone! You have to move around to get any significant pay rise. In fact I'm sure it's the same in the U.K.!

On another point I don't believe that I am treated any differently by my employer beacuse I am British. Infact there are a few British people where I work and no one has had any problems! I also know that I'm being paid the same as my Canadian counterparts.

I will definitely become a citizen when I get the chance. I'll do it as a matter of pride in the country I live in. I might have to save up a bit, but I'm happy to do that for a lifetime of Canadian rights.

Int.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As a dual citizen it probably increases flight risk as if I packed it all in and went back to GB, I am free to return at any time to canada if returning was a mistake.
True, but the average employer who's not familiar about the nuances of dual citizenship as the average user of this forum won't see it this way. They'll see becoming a Canadian citizen as a sign you plan to stay.

It's also true that some (not all) Canadians will see a person as 'one of us' if they have become Canadian (whether they've kept their old citizenship or not is usually irrelevant). In a marginal case, that can swing a job your way.

In Australia, having citizenship over PR is certainly a slight advantage in the job market, mainly for these reasons.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.