Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizen working freelance for UK company

Canadian Citizen working freelance for UK company

Old Jun 24th 2020, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

drehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizen working freelance for UK company

Hey guys - sorry if this has been answered previously but I couldn't figure out what was needed and lots of the information was from a few years ago...

I'm a Canadian citizen, but am currently working in the UK. My visa expires soon, so my company wants to keep me on as a freelance abroad. Few questions:
- Should I be setting up my taxes in Canada? Or the UK?
- Where do I need to set myself up to be a Canadian freelancer (I live in Vancouver)
- What is the best way for them to pay me?

Any information or support is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:59 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizen working freelance for UK company

Hello and welcome to BE!

So you will be living in Canada working as a freelance self employed worker undertaking contracts for a UK company...... much as I do... you pay taxes in the country you live in. You will need to invoice them each month and they will send you a transfer to your bank account in Canada.

There are a few people on here who work remotely as freelancers,

You have a couple of choices.. you can work under your own name and just register as self employed (sole trader), or you can have a business name and register yourself as a business - with a business number etc., - no need for incorporation. By being self employed there are many tax deductions you can make for 'home office' which will help, but bear in mind you have to pay CPP (both employer and employee parts as a self employed person) as well as register for HST once you earn in excess of $30,000 although as the company you provide a service to is located overseas, the HST rate will be 0.

Do be aware that if they are your only contract Revenue Canada could deem that you are employed by them - so best to have a small advert somewhere showing what your business is (or a free website advertising your services)

For BC - here's a handy small business start up section
https://smallbusinessbc.ca/starting-a-business
https://vancouver.ca/guides/starting...-business.aspx
Old Jun 28th 2020, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

drehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly what was needed, thank you so much for the help ! Also just to confirm, if Revenue Canada deem that I'm employed by them, what would this mean?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about your UK company but I'm a UK citizen and i work remotely for a UK company on short term contracts. I have to prove my right to work in the UK (passport) to them