British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian citizen flying in usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-citizen-flying-usa-572213/)

CanadaGuy Nov 10th 2008 4:36 am

Canadian citizen flying in usa

Hi, I am panning on traveling to NY and was wondering if it would be allowed for Canadians to drive to Seattle airport (from Vancouver) and take a plane to NY. I know I can lie at the border and just enter into the country but if I tell the truth, do you think the border officer could deny me entry? Seattle to NY tickets are a lot cheaper than Vancouver to NY.

Thanks

PMM Nov 10th 2008 5:00 am

Re: Canadian citizen flying in usa

Hi

Originally Posted by CanadaGuy (Post 6957586)
Hi, I am panning on traveling to NY and was wondering if it would be allowed for Canadians to drive to Seattle airport (from Vancouver) and take a plane to NY. I know I can lie at the border and just enter into the country but if I tell the truth, do you think the border officer could deny me entry? Seattle to NY tickets are a lot cheaper than Vancouver to NY.

Thanks

Do it all the time, no law against it.

Novocastrian Nov 10th 2008 5:26 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 6957614)
Hi

Do it all the time, no law against it.

I was intrigued by CanadaGuy's long standing membership and sparse post count so I clicked on his previous posts.

Did you ever get that I-192 waiver?

Biiiiink Nov 10th 2008 1:45 pm

I do it all the time, one of the main reasons for living here!

If it's a domestic US flight, you don't even need a passport for the next while. I cross on my citizenship card, and use my Ontario drivers license for the internal US flight. This was particularly useful when my Canadian passport expired and I couldn't find my British one...

CanadaGuy Nov 10th 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6957666)
I was intrigued by CanadaGuy's long standing membership and sparse post count so I clicked on his previous posts.

Did you ever get that I-192 waiver?

Hi novacastrian, i didnt have to as I wasnt inadmissable.

oh and thanks for ur replies everyone else.. PMM and BIInk, do u tell the border agent what you are doing? ie flying to other cities?

Novocastrian Nov 10th 2008 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaGuy (Post 6958786)
Hi novacastrian, i didnt have to as I wasnt inadmissable.

Excellent. I was just curious. As everyone has said, flying internally in the US is not an issue.

Souvenir Nov 10th 2008 2:31 pm

do u tell the border agent what you are doing? ie flying to other cities?

The agent will likely ask you where you are going but, if it's in the US, I don't see it as an issue. I go to the USA reasonably often. Living near Ottawa, I always have to hub through one or more US airports. The US has border agents at the Ottawa airport. Once you are past them, you're effectively in the USA. A typical conversation with one of them would be: "where are you going?". "Las Vegas, via Chicago". That's it. There is no more involvement with border agents after that, although you still need ID for boarding.

Souvenir Nov 10th 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6958817)
flying internally in the US is not an issue.

It is, if you dislike being treated like shit.

Biiiiink Nov 10th 2008 3:01 pm

PMM and BIInk, do u tell the border agent what you are doing? ie flying to other cities?

Yep, say I'm on my way to Metro airport. Sometimes they ask where I'm going and what I'll be doing at my destination, usually they don't.

Novocastrian Nov 10th 2008 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 6958828)
It is, if you dislike being treated like shit.

Quite. I avoid it whenever possible.

Auld Yin Nov 11th 2008 12:59 am

Thanks

It's not advisable, in today's political climate, to lie to any border agent (US or Canadian) at the border. If caught out you will be suspected of having possible malevolence and you could end up in custody until you prove otherwise and/or end up on some no-fly list and that could be a real pain in the ass. It is also inadvisable to antagonise the immigration and customs people at the border. Rightly or wrongly they have the ability to unmake your day and potentially your life.

Td0t Nov 11th 2008 7:32 pm

It's completely normal and perfectly legal for Canadians (or anyone else) to fly from American airports. There is absolutely no need to conceal your intentions from the border guards.

Judy in Calgary Nov 11th 2008 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 6958820)
The agent will likely ask you where you are going but, if it's in the US, I don't see it as an issue. I go to the USA reasonably often. Living near Ottawa, I always have to hub through one or more US airports. The US has border agents at the Ottawa airport. Once you are past them, you're effectively in the USA. A typical conversation with one of them would be: "where are you going?". "Las Vegas, via Chicago". That's it. There is no more involvement with border agents after that, although you still need ID for boarding.

Just to be pedantic, the original poster was talking about driving to the USA and then catching a domestic flight within the US.

But, anyway, CanadaGuy, there is nothing wrong with a Canadian catching an internal flight within the US, as several posters already have stated. There is absolutely no need for you to worry about what you'll tell the immigration officer at your American port of entry.

Now that I live on the BC coast, I myself am going to look into the feasibility of flying out of Seattle from time to time. Flights typically are cheaper from Seattle than they are from Vancouver. It may not be worth it, once I've caught the ferry from Vancouver Island and all that. But I'm at least going to do my sums.
x

Judy in Calgary Nov 11th 2008 8:38 pm

Actually, CanadaGuy, the immigration officer at your US port of entry is very likely to ask you the purpose of your trip to your ultimate destination, NY.

Every time I go to the US, they ask me where I ultimately am travelling to and what the purpose of my trip is.
x

Steve_P Nov 11th 2008 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 6963340)
Every time I go to the US, they ask me where I ultimately am travelling to and what the purpose of my trip is.
x

Our most recent trip to Hawaii in April in addition to the where and why they wanted an address of where we were going to be staying.