Reload this Page >

Canadian citizen back home: tax question

Wikiposts

Canadian citizen back home: tax question

Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

metalangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian citizen back home: tax question

I've returned home to Canada, and am wondering about whether I need to file an income tax return.

-lived in UK from age 17 until last August, never paid tax in Canada
-since returning, haven't worked and have lived off savings and been a full time student
-my partner (who I sponsored) sold our house and got all the money for it into her account in January

According to the guide booklet, I shouldn't have to. My father isn't sure but wonders if it's worth doing just to get me 'on the grid'.

I received a slip from HSBC (I have accounts here and in the UK) saying I had an 'Arm's length interest payment' of $62.01.

Is it worth doing/do I have to do it for 2012? The wiki doesn't seem to have an answer.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian citizen back home: tax question

You should file a return. If you were a student in 2012 you will have tax credits. Download a T2202A from the college's website. You can carry the credits forward to use in future years. If you don't file a return you will lose them.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Okay, thanks!

Pretty much the rest of the main forms will be blank anyway, right?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Do I have to declare my UK income January - August 2012?

This comment on the wiki:
In the year that you become a tax resident of Canada, the Canadian government taxes you only on the income that you've earned after after becoming a tax resident of Canada.
...suggests that I don't, as this is my first ever tax return (so I'm only now becoming a 'tax resident'), and the UK income stopped when I moved back.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:31 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by metalangel
Do I have to declare my UK income January - August 2012?

This comment on the wiki:

...suggests that I don't, as this is my first ever tax return (so I'm only now becoming a 'tax resident'), and the UK income stopped when I moved back.

Thanks!
You only report non-Canadian income earned after your moved back to Canada to live.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You only report non-Canadian income earned after your moved back to Canada to live.
Then my tax forms are done!

Thanks again for your help. I tried to use StudioTax but as it's my first filing I can't use NETFILE. So, just copied all the stuff across onto the paper forms from StudioTax instead.