Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Cell Phone Plans

Canadian Cell Phone Plans

Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Cell Phone Plans

FWIW I tried texting my brother when he was visiting us here, and it never got through, but that was texting a UK phone that was roaming in Canada, from my Canadian Virgin phone if that makes any difference

supposed to cost 20c

Last edited by iaink; Sep 18th 2006 at 4:02 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:44 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, and in some ways they used to be better.

When I lived downtown, in the late 80s, I used to park in the Monoxide Towers. My car had a sign "doors unlocked please don't break glass" but people broke the glass every week anyway. One day I was paying for the parking when a rather arrogant chap stepped up, asked if I had a little red car, and announced that he liked breaking the windows. I hit him with the phone, which was about the size and weight of a brick. He seemed very surprised, which was advantageous to me as I could then kick him in the nuts.

It felt like home.
Tremendous. Was it the big F.O one that Motorola did. I remember going to a conference and some guys on a sales stand had one. Stand was packed, but everyone was looking at the phone not their product. It was the Motorola in a carry case. Looked like the one the little Airfix soldiers used to have when we were kids.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Tremendous. Was it the big F.O one that Motorola did. I remember going to a conference and some guys on a sales stand had one. Stand was packed, but everyone was looking at the phone not their product. It was the Motorola in a carry case. Looked like the one the little Airfix soldiers used to have when we were kids.
Oh no, I remember those things. It was the next generation, slightly smaller. It was just as well the phone was smaller because I also carried an Osbourne; no single person could lift an early mobile phone and a transportable computer.

At about that time, I heard the greatest review of Motorola phones. There was a bunch of gangsters, one memorably named "Trigger" who ran a drug and prostitution business from the patios by the Monoxide Towers. The enforcer "Franco" was always bitching about the aches and pains he got from having to beat people up week in and week out and the damage it caused to his clothing and boots. "I buy Motorola" he said "my business is rough on phones, they get dropped, they get kicked and the business depends on them. Motorola phones can take it".
Old Sep 18th 2006, 5:50 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Monoxide Towers".
Go on educate me !!!!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Go on educate me !!!!
Municipal parking lot at the bottom of Church St. I think it's actually number 2 Church. It has apartments on the top, hence the name. They're supposed to be rent-geared-to-income flats for poor people but many of them are sublet at higher rents.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
According to their website you can but Chipotle was having probs with just that recently iirc. Maybe he'll see this thread and tell us if he resolved the problem?

If texting the UK is important to you Mike, stick with Rogers/Fido. There are many posts in the archive about problems texting overseas with other Canadian networks.
Yep guess I will - but I wish i didnt have to 'shout' at Melony - I think she must be deaf.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:14 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

The little green ones that were the british and the grey ones that were the bad Jerries??

Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Hi, I've just got a FIDO PAYG sim, as I brought my UK phone with me. I'm just using it for emergency calls, (if I brake down, or am lost or late etc...)
It said that the Voice Mail service was included, but when I checked my credit it said I only had $8.60 left of the $10.00, and the only calls I had made were to set up the voice mail, the toll free fido number to check my credit.
So, do they mean that the service is free, but you have to pay to retrieve the calls? If that's the case, I'll just turn off the voice mail.
I've tried checking the FIDO web site F&Q, but can't seem to find an answer to this one......Help please?
Thanks
Sally
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sally h
So, do they mean that the service is free, but you have to pay to retrieve the calls? If that's the case, I'll just turn off the voice mail.
Yep, no free airtime, so while they don't charge for the voice mail service, you have to pay the regular per minute rate to check the calls if you use your phone. You may be able to call the number from another phone like your land line and check the messages though.

You are probably paying the per minute rate to check your balance too since that is also air time. They have to you by the short hairs, eh?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sysclp
Yep, no free airtime, so while they don't charge for the voice mail service, you have to pay the regular per minute rate to check the calls if you use your phone. You may be able to call the number from another phone like your land line and check the messages though.

You are probably paying the per minute rate to check your balance too since that is also air time. They have to you by the short hairs, eh?
Thanks for your reply sysclp.

Do you know if calling your voice mail from a landline in the same local area as your cell would be classified as a local call, or will i get screwed by that as well?!!!(I know I can do that) Also, how easy is it to turn off your voice mail?
Thanks
Sally
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Thanks for your reply sysclp.

Do you know if calling your voice mail from a landline in the same local area as your cell would be classified as a local call, or will i get screwed by that as well?!!!(I know I can do that) Also, how easy is it to turn off your voice mail?
Thanks
Sally
If you call from a land line, it would be local if you have the cell set to the same local address. I have no idea about turning off the voice mail though.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sysclp
If you call from a land line, it would be local if you have the cell set to the same local address. I have no idea about turning off the voice mail though.
Ta very much for the help sysclp.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Also, how easy is it to turn off your voice mail?
Thanks
Sally
We had free voicemail for a few months as part of our start-up offer, as soon it became chargeable I cancelled it and it was switched off within the hour (Rogers).
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We had free voicemail for a few months as part of our start-up offer, as soon it became chargeable I cancelled it and it was switched off within the hour (Rogers).
Thanks Biiiink, I think I'll try the same.
Sally
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 5:22 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

If you go to www.cellphones.ca you can do a search for all plans with free incoming calls. Seems providers might be slowing switching over to this.

Bell are currently doing what seems to be a really good offer for BCAA members. Go into a Bell store to check it out. Even if you're not a BCAA member they might offer it to you like they did for me.

Apart from this, I reckon Telus offer the best plans from what I can tell. They tend to include voicemail so you save $5 on that straight off.

The monthly service fee is soon to go up from $6.95 yo $8.95 for all providers.

Is it true that you can't send international texts with Bell and Telus? That's RUBBISH!

Been looking a lot at phones and plans recently. Bit of a minefield but getting there. Too bad the phones here are so old!