Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian/British phrases!!!

Canadian/British phrases!!!

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian/British phrases!!!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well I am. You should try it.
You got some bollocks you have!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Well, if its fact, you really should have given a heads up to your 14 year old son (who was only 11 when you joined this forum).

We all enjoy "light hearted banter" here, but not at the expense of our offspring.
Infant Car Seats & Zoom
Views: 144 Posted By Novocastrian
Re: Infant Car Seats & Zoom

How true. What's more, if there's a goodish bit of turbulence, a rogue car seat banging around the cabin should be lotsa fun.

sounds like you're having fun at the expense of our children!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Infant Car Seats & Zoom

How true. What's more, if there's a goodish bit of turbulence, a rogue car seat banging around the cabin should be lotsa fun.

Hey if you can't take a joke you shouldn't be flying.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hey if you can't take a joke you shouldn't be flying.
very true, especially if you risk hitting the ground like a dart!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Infant Car Seats & Zoom

Damn the whole reason I had kids was to make jokes at their expense Mind you I think I'll wait until they grow into horrible teenagers!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve666
Are you pregnant?
Nope...my boss says I'm not allowed until she says so - OH is quite happy with that at the moment.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Damn the whole reason I had kids was to make jokes at their expense Mind you I think I'll wait until they grow into horrible teenagers!
I agree.. not that we have any? but we were children once and had to endure countless jokes at our expense... why should the human newbs get away with it?

Last edited by Polar Bear; Dec 2nd 2007 at 6:04 pm. Reason: sh*t spelling
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.. not that we have any? but we were children once and had to endure countless joke at our expence... why should the human newbs get away with it?
And then there's all the lying about Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny....No wonder they turn into little horrible disillusioned teenagers.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:41 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I would have interpreted "In a delicate Condition" to have meant that you were pregnant too. It was a phrase my grandmother (Born in the 1880's) used.
Maybe its more of an age thing, rather than a Canada/UK thing.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
At work on Friday I updated my iChat status (something we all use at work to communicate during the day) to say that I was feeling a little delicate that day (I have a bad cold). Apparently to my Canadian colleagues, being female and being in a "delicate" condition is being pregnant...NOT what I intended, and since my husband works 20 feet from me at the same company it was even worse!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I would have interpreted "In a delicate Condition" to have meant that you were pregnant too. It was a phrase my grandmother (Born in the 1880's) used.
Maybe its more of an age thing, rather than a Canada/UK thing.
must say I'd rather have "in a delicate condition" than "up the duff"
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:20 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
must say I'd rather have "in a delicate condition" than "up the duff"

or knocked up
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:22 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if its fact, you really should have given a heads up to your 14 year old son (who was only 11 when you joined this forum).

We all enjoy "light hearted banter" here, but not at the expense of our offspring.
Don't be so mardy,

Just for to add to the general mayhem here is my offspring making the same mistake.

My 16 year old daughter was in the middle of a biology lesson and the class were drawing and labelling a heart. She looked up and asked the whole class if anyone had a rubber she could borrow....... dead silence followed and her new friend who looked horrified asked her what she wanted a rubber for and Gemma replied "to rub out this line" ..... as you can guess she was extremely embarrassed when she was told what she was asking for, even more so because the class was generally a year older than her.

Killed myself laughing when she told me when I picked her up from school. But then I am always being accused of being a sympathic father.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am. You should try it.
That explains alot
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
or knocked up
During a project meeting, I told one of my female work colleagues (who is well known for struggling to get out of bed early) I would come round and knock her up on the way to airport so she could get up early for a meeting with a client......

Stunned silence in the meeting room and the female colleague flushed bright red..... Someone leaned over to me and told me what knocked up meant. I then told her I would come round and knock on the door to make sure she was awake on my way to the airport ... Much laughter at my expense (not my offspring)
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only English person who has never used the phrase "knocked up"? I dont even remember anyone ever using it, let alone anyone ever offering to knock me up ( English meaning of course, )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.