Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian born, returning to Canada. Citizenship etc?

Wikiposts

Canadian born, returning to Canada. Citizenship etc?

Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:15 am
Just Joined

reesim06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian born, returning to Canada. Citizenship etc?

Hey all,

I'm looking to return to Canada after a significant amount of time away, and could with a little advice/knowledge...

Born in Vancouver in '82. Left in '88. I've only ever returned for short periods with work (no more than 2 weeks either on invitation or to transit through).

I'm waiting on an offer, which will hopefully arrive in the next month or so (relatively early stage, but there's nothing to suggest they'll say no). The offer will mean I won't arrive in under 4 months from receipt, but could be as much as 24 months. Suffice to say that the agency at the other end has fingers in the system so will be able to smooth the road somewhat.

Any ideas on what I'll need to do to sort out my citizenship pieces and become Canadian again?

I'll also need to sponsor my wife and kids, but I hope that will be fairly simple to get them over there!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian born, returning to Canada. Citizenship etc?

You don't need to 'become Canadian again' - once a citizen, always a citizen.

You're right that sponsoring your wife and kids will be fairly simple, takes around 6-8 months so you might want to get cracking. But your kids are likely to be Canadians already (by descent), so shouldn't need sponsoring, you'll just have to get their proof of citizenship.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 14th 2013 at 8:24 am.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks! I don't hold a Canadian at the moment, but will probably apply for one quite soon, I'm sure it will help travelling on that rather than my British passport.

I know I'm probably best phoning Canada House, but worth getting the good information here first!

How much work/cash is involved with the sponsorship side of things? Just need to get them in the country really, but not going to do it on a Holiday visa, will be keeping it legitimate!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Figure about £2k or so for your wife to get PR by the time you've done medical, visa fees, police check etc. for kids citizenship, iirc the fee is about $100 each.

Phoning Canada House won't help, there's no info line as everything you need is on the CIC website.

HTH.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reesim06
Thanks! I don't hold a Canadian at the moment, but will probably apply for one quite soon, I'm sure it will help travelling on that rather than my British passport.

I know I'm probably best phoning Canada House, but worth getting the good information here first!

How much work/cash is involved with the sponsorship side of things? Just need to get them in the country really, but not going to do it on a Holiday visa, will be keeping it legitimate!
You just need to apply for a Canadian passport.

Your kids are likely already Canadian citizens by descent through you. You simply need to apply for Canadian citizenship certs for them ($75) and then you can also apply for Canadian passports.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

That all takes time though so they might be able to travel to Canada on a UK passport or you might be able to obtain emergency Canadian passports for them.

You'll need to sponsor your wife.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It should be mentioned that as a Canadian Citizen you can sponsor your wife from outside of Canada, there is no need for you to be residing in Canada. She will need to 'land' to gain her Permanent Residency but if she needs to return to the UK whilst you wait for your job offer, she would retain PR as she would be accompanying a Canadian Citizen.

Here is the application pack you need to use: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

You can ascertain if your children are already Citizens by using this tool from the CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...es/tool_04.asp

You and your children can travel to Canada on your British Passports if you don't have time to obtain Canadian ones, though I would suggest applying for the childrens Certificates of Citizenship as soon as possible as they take ages to be processed. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/minors.asp

Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Some great stuff there, thanks everyone!

I'll have at least 4 months from being given an offer to arriving in Canada, and that will probably be 2 months in front of wife+kids.

Kids both have British passports, so will probably travel on those as long as it doesn't confuse any visa situation. I'm hoping to not have to apply for PR (If that's the right route) for the wife until as late as I can sensibly leave it... The CIC seems to say that we'd only need 39 days (currently) here...

I've not got a social insurance number that I'm aware of, is it sat in the ether waiting for me to pick it up again? Or will I have to apply for a PR or similar as well?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Posted reply, but it never made it to the thread!

Unfortunately, it was quite long, I'm in tears at having to write it again!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:46 am
Just Joined

...and my proper reply...

Thanks for the great information, it has certainly cleared up a few things!

I'm under the impression that obtaining a PR for my wife would take (currently) 39 days. Does this seem correct or should we be doing stuff sooner rather than later?

I obviously have my Birth certificate, which counts as citizenship. I'll apply for a Canadian passport in the near future I think to make things a little smoother!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Posted reply, but it never made it to the thread!

Unfortunately, it was quite long, I'm in tears at having to write it again!
You would've had a message saying that it was awaiting moderation - its an anti-spam device and was triggered because you are a fairly new member and included a link in your post
Unfortunately it had to wait for a Mod to see it and approve it, now done
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Ah, closed the window too fast...

Now you make me look strange as I'm talking to myself!!!

Thanks though
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Trying to find out how much exactly it will be for my wife... PR card costs $50, but that can't be the full cost of the application!

Had a couple of emails just now and the agency I'm looking to work for is very keen, the restriction might be leaving my current job.

I think I'll need to pay:

$75 as Sponsor
$550 for my wife

then

$490 for right of PR fee

Last edited by reesim06; Apr 15th 2013 at 7:20 am.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm under the impression that obtaining a PR for my wife would take (currently) 39 days. Does this seem correct or should we be doing stuff sooner rather than later?
No, you're looking at the wrong thing, that's for obtaining a PR card (i.e. for somebody who is already a PR that needs a new card, or for a new PR that doesn't have a card yet - something your wife will need to do once she's 'landed' and obtained her PR).

This is the info you need, as I said above it'll be about 6-8 months in total - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 15th 2013 at 7:42 am.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I think I'll need to pay:

$75 as Sponsor
$550 for my wife

then

$490 for right of PR fee
Spot on. Add on a few hundred pounds for your wife's medical (get that booked asap, as you might have a wait of a few weeks for one depending on how busy your nearest DMP is), police check, etc.

Then you'll need to get proof of your kids citizenship as well, you could try with them travelling on British passports, but a visa officer may well refuse them entry if he doesn't think they have any legal right to live in Canada - so it would be far better/safer to get their citizenship sorted before you go.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, closed the window too fast...

Now you make me look strange as I'm talking to myself!!!

Thanks though
You aren't the first caught out!
Good luck with the whole process

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.