British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian Beer (Not the Molson kind...) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-beer-not-molson-kind-759659/)

wesbray May 27th 2012 2:07 am

Canadian Beer (Not the Molson kind...)

Anyone into real ale here? Very impressed with what's on offer in Canada so far...

dbd33 May 27th 2012 2:22 am

Re: Canadian Beer (Not the Molson kind...)

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10084054)
Anyone into real ale here?

I like beer. I like cask beer. I'm not into it to the extent of having a tweed jacket and drips of beer in my beard. I don't belong to CAMRA.

Very impressed with what's on offer in Canada so far...

Where are you?

wesbray May 27th 2012 2:28 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10084069)
I like beer. I like cask beer. I'm not into it to the extent of having a tweed jacket and drips of beer in my beard. I don't belong to CAMRA.

Where are you?

Alberta. Though i'm not talking just Alberta beer. Alot of great stuff in Quebec and BC. Alley Kat is great aswell if we're talking specifically Alberta...

dbd33 May 27th 2012 2:45 am

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10084079)
Alberta. Though i'm not talking just Alberta beer. Alot of great stuff in Quebec and BC. Alley Kat is great aswell if we're talking specifically Alberta...

<raises glass of Sam Adams>

<feels slightly guilty>

BristolUK May 27th 2012 3:27 am

There's a brewery in this province that produces some decent stuff, including one that's reminiscent of Ruddles.

But it still says serve chilled on the bottle.:blink:

Bob May 27th 2012 3:30 am

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/ephemere_apple/

I rather like that, though Unibroue beers in general are pretty good, but aren't half expensive down this way...

scrubbedexpat133 May 27th 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10084119)
There's a brewery in this province that produces some decent stuff, including one that's reminiscent of Ruddles.

But it still says serve chilled on the bottle.:blink:

Which one??? Im partial to a Ruddles - had a couple last night!!

badab1ng May 27th 2012 11:01 pm

Big Rock. Albertas finest.

Atlantic Xpat May 28th 2012 12:08 am

Anyone into real ale here? Very impressed with what's on offer in Canada so far...

Very much a fan of cask conditioned ale. Very much miss it from the UK even after 8 years. Cask conditioned ale, not chilled too buggery is something that is impossible to find where I live and in my experience requires a bit of searching out even in the larger cities. Wellington brewery do a cask ale as does Granite in TO, I found a very chic real ale pub in Montreal once, and I've had a bad pint at the clocktower pub in Ottawa. Aside from that, it's chilled beer all the way. Don't get me wrong, some of it is pretty drinkable - the Yellowbelly brewpub in St. John's for example does a fine, keg, IPA - but real ale it's not.

BristolUK May 28th 2012 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 10085032)
Which one??? Im partial to a Ruddles - had a couple last night!!

It's Picaroons Brewery - pub apparently in Fredericton. Unfortunately I can't remember which one I tried but you could have fun trying.

I seem to recall there were 3 or 4 types at the offie.

scrubbedexpat133 May 28th 2012 11:09 am

Thanks Bristol - will investigate :D :beer:

Souvy May 28th 2012 11:10 am

There are some pretty decent beers in QC (some dangerously strong ones, too).

Talking of beer, my neighbour brought a smile to my face last Saturday. The weekend before, I'd hurt my ribs crawling around under her deck. She didn't know this until she came to the impromptu powercut party we had in our front yard Friday night.

Saturday lunchtime she showed up with a box containing six assorted world beers, a pack of tylenol and a tube of Deep Heat. She called it a Man Cure.

I thought that was quite funny.

agr May 28th 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10084079)

Just down the road from Alley Kat (Edmonton) is a brewery called Amber. I took my team from work on an, ahem, industrial process familiarization visit there recently. Discovered that they will not only sell you a cask of ale, but if you take in a sack of hops from your yard they will brew a batch for you. The tour was interesting because the owner had a lot to say about the brewing industry in Canada, provincial government influence, and how it favours the big players.

MikeUK May 28th 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by agr (Post 10086938)
The tour was interesting because the owner had a lot to say about the brewing industry in Canada, provincial government influence, and how it favours the big players.

So he forgot to mention the significant tax break small brewers (under 15,000 HL) get from the government to even the playing field...

Tax rates

Considering that brewing is still profitable with the higher taxes we ( the big boys pay) imaging how profitable it is when you not paying those taxes..

ExKiwilass May 28th 2012 6:32 pm

I really like Whistler Honey Lager, but it's hard to find.