Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Bar in London

Wikiposts

Canadian Bar in London

Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:39 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Bar in London

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Why is it a mad idea?

I've heard that some, but not all, British Expats miss things like real ale, proper bacon and cheese, oh and a proper Brit pub, while in Canada! I know crazy ehh!!!!

You missed fish and chips, curry, their cheaper car insurance and lack of better telly ...just saying
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:59 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Twored
Would anyone recommend this bar in London? http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/maple-leaf-london The reviews are kind of mixed and I'm looking for something authentic so I don't lose my Canadian side of me too soon
I've been there on and off since the eighties. The only thing Canadian about it was the paraphernalia on the wall and the odd canadian beer. However when I went on Canada Day it was full of hundreds of Canadians. Most of the street in front was crowded with them as well.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Went in there about 5 ish years ago. Thought it was crap in all honesty.

Expected far better, small choice of CA beer and the food was poor. There are so many good pubs everywhere why would you make this a regular???
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know a Canadian bar in France? Or a German one? I'd hate to walk away from all those err, memories.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Does anyone know a Canadian bar in France? Or a German one? I'd hate to walk away from all those err, memories.
I don't know but I'm mystified by the idea of drinking Canadian beer where there's a choice. I rarely do that here, I sure as hell wouldn't anywhere else.

Cheese, otoh, I might eat Quebec cheese if it was offered elsewhere.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know but I'm mystified by the idea of drinking Canadian beer where there's a choice. I rarely do that here, I sure as hell wouldn't anywhere else.

Cheese, otoh, I might eat Quebec cheese if it was offered elsewhere.
I'm intrigued. Which ones? I've never experienced an acceptable Canadian cheese. And I've dined in Quebec many a time. Does Quebec cheese come without chips?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intrigued. Which ones? I've never experienced an acceptable Canadian cheese. And I've dined in Quebec many a time. Does Quebec cheese come without chips?
I can't say I know the name "raw milk" it says and "Camembert" though it can't actually be. I've never bought a piece big enough to get the brand label. Passable, though like local wine it's the same price as the real thing so you may as well have that.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:55 am
Born again atheist

I can't say I know the name "raw milk" it says and "Camembert" though it can't actually be. I've never bought a piece big enough to get the brand label. Passable, though like local wine it's the same price as the real thing so you may as well have that.
Ah. I thought at first you were saying you didn't know the french for raw milk, but of course you do. As you say, if you want Camembert lait cru, you might as well go to St. Lawrence Market and get one made in Isigny for about $16. A whole one. Which would cost perhaps 3 euro in France.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Ah. I thought at first you were saying you didn't know the french for raw milk, but of course you do. As you say, if you want Camembert lait cru, you might as well go to St. Lawrence Market and get one made in Isigny for about $16. A whole one. Which would cost perhaps 3 euro in France.
The Quebec stuff comes from the same stand in the market where I usually buy cheese, we're good customers there for real Camembert and, of course, for raclet. It's just something different to have now and then.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:32 am
Born again atheist

The Quebec stuff comes from the same stand in the market where I usually buy cheese, we're good customers there for real Camembert and, of course, for raclet. It's just something different to have now and then.
Fair enough. I understand how you picked up the raclet habit, but I don't much like it. Each to his own.

Have you ever come across a Thom (from the Pyrenees) at your cheese stand? I miss that: it's superb with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Fair enough. I understand how you picked up the raclet habit, but I don't much like it. Each to his own.

Have you ever come across a Thom (from the Pyrenees) at your cheese stand? I miss that: it's superb with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
Not knowingly but will ask when next there (probably not for a fortnight, we've just been).
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Twored is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I didn't think I'd start such a disscussion here I know british pubs are great (one of the reasons I'm moving there ) but I think I'll miss Canada a lot so I'm going to need some compensation.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:34 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twored
Would anyone recommend this bar in London? http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/maple-leaf-london The reviews are kind of mixed and I'm looking for something authentic so I don't lose my Canadian side of me too soon
Man did i get absolutely plastered in there. We used to visit it in the 90's. Dunno what its like now.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:11 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Man did i get absolutely plastered in there. We used to visit it in the 90's. Dunno what its like now.
I must admit to remembering going into the Maple Leaf but not remembering leaving! Many times! When you're in the UK the fact the game isn't live sort of doesn't matter. It's like watching premier football in Canada a few days after the event; so what!?!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:25 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I must admit to remembering going into the Maple Leaf but not remembering leaving! Many times! When you're in the UK the fact the game isn't live sort of doesn't matter. It's like watching premier football in Canada a few days after the event; so what!?!
Err, you know the result?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.