Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Bank Accounts...

Canadian Bank Accounts...

Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:43 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Bank Accounts...

Originally Posted by deeb81
Hey,

There is something like a $5 charge per month as long as you have 15 transactions or less. Not sure of the exact numbers but it was really small.
Is it even feasible to keep under 15 transactions a month? Unless you draw out wad of cash at the start of the months and deal with everything in cash? I probably do more than 15 transactions in a week some weeks....
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:02 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Is it even feasible to keep under 15 transactions a month? Unless you draw out wad of cash at the start of the months and deal with everything in cash? I probably do more than 15 transactions in a week some weeks....
Get yourself one of those Aeroplan credit cards and chuck absolutely everything on that...one payment from your bank account a month plus you should rack up enough Aeroplan points for a free* flight or two into the bargain.

* taxes and fees extra!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You can use CIBC to service the PC account if you need to.
How do you mean, service?
I thought one could use the machines only. They were not working once when I was there so I queued. The CIBC staff told me to go to another branch to do what I needed (make a deposit) as the machines were working at that one.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How do you mean, service?
I believe you can get bank drafts and that kind of thing, but I think you have to prearrange it with PC Financial first. We use the PCF account for our online banking and bill payments, and the Scotiabank account for anything that requires interacting with real people.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Most President's Choice stores (Real Canadian Superstore / Loblaws / some No Frills etc.) have a PC Financial pavilion where you can deal with a human being.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Most President's Choice stores (Real Canadian Superstore / Loblaws / some No Frills etc.) have a PC Financial pavilion where you can deal with a human being.
Unfortunately she told me to phone when I had something account specific.

Not knocking them...they are free after all and their savings accounts pay as good if not better interest than most.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
I totally agree. I have way more than 15 transactions per month on my UK bank account but the RBC Day to Day account suits my purposes just now as I only transfer money to it once a month so I'm not worried about it...nor am I worried about paying $5 if I dared exceed the transaction limit
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deeb81
I totally agree. I have way more than 15 transactions per month on my UK bank account but the RBC Day to Day account suits my purposes just now as I only transfer money to it once a month so I'm not worried about it...nor am I worried about paying $5 if I dared exceed the transaction limit
Hi again Deeb81!

Yes I am in a similar situation to yourself right now - currently in the UK but heading over to Canada soon.

Do you have to pay each time you transfer money to the Canadian Bank Account? How much is it per transaction? Do you need an IBAN No.?

Sorry - so many questions!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:47 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

if you contact the rbc bank they will give you the info that you need to make the transfer.

the last time we transfered into our canadian account it was 20quid from the uk :curse:
One thing to note as well is that when its birthdays and xmas we get relatives to send uk cheques and we put them straight into our account, no charge and good rate as well.
but make sure you advise the teller that they are uk pounds, as hubby banked one of the cheques and didnt tell her, she put it through as euro's :curse:
still waiting for that to be sorted :curse:
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowman365
Hi again Deeb81!

Yes I am in a similar situation to yourself right now - currently in the UK but heading over to Canada soon.

Do you have to pay each time you transfer money to the Canadian Bank Account? How much is it per transaction? Do you need an IBAN No.?

Sorry - so many questions!!!
No probs!

They gave me RBC's Swiftcode which you use in conjunction with your account number when transferring money internationally. The one they gave me is Royccat2 - not sure if that's for RBC in general or my branch specifically so dont quote me on that!

They charge me $15 every time I transfer money into the account which isn't much but it does seem a bit daft to be charged when depositing funds! I don't think there's such a thing as free banking in Canada sadly.