Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights)

Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights)

Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights)

Originally Posted by Aperture
Huh, really strange to read that people have had such different experiences (some loved it, some would never fly with them again)! Now I don't know what to think . . .

The cost different between Canadian Affair and all other airlines I can see is £200-£400. No small amount, though I do know and trust British Airways and Air Canada, at least.

I think I may have the make the decision based on baggage allowance. Since we're moving, and not just going on holiday, we're going to want to take a fair bit with us . . .
It is much cheaper to book a return even if you don't use it as there seems to be some penalty for booking a 1 way flight
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Canadian Affair are just fine as far as charters go. When you go to book, depending on where you are heading from (I think) you'll get offered Thomas Cook Airlines or Monarch Airlines. Choose Thomas Cook!!!

Personally, my west coast trips are not going to be with them anymore. I'm 6'2" and it's just too cramped. The next three days hip and back pain just isn't worth it.

But Canadian Affair are great as a co-coordinating company. If you don't mind trading comfort for dough, go for it!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by rich07
It is much cheaper to book a return even if you don't use it as there seems to be some penalty for booking a 1 way flight
That is the case for all airlines. No matter if you only intend to travel one way, always check the price of a return. Nine times out of ten a return will be cheaper.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by NomadicJ
Canadian Affair are just fine as far as charters go. When you go to book, depending on where you are heading from (I think) you'll get offered Thomas Cook Airlines or Monarch Airlines. Choose Thomas Cook!!!
I think its unlikely you'll get a choice. All depends who 'Canadian Affair' have farmed the flights out to that day. Generally the schedules are planned months in advance but due to circumstances, the airline used may change on the day.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by castra
I think its unlikely you'll get a choice. All depends who 'Canadian Affair' have farmed the flights out to that day. Generally the schedules are planned months in advance but due to circumstances, the airline used may change on the day.
True, my experience was from Gatwick. The higher volume probably gave us the choice. If it's available, you choose when you pick your flights online.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:29 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have just landed from YVR to LGW - tHOMAS cOOK - ALL OK - ooh soz caps lox - v tired. Plane on time, yes busy, yes less legroom but unless you are hefty its not really a problem!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Aperture;8658706]We're looking at flights from the UK (ideally Glasgow, Edinburgh, or Newcastle) to Canada (Toronto Pearson) and, of course, are hoping to find something relatively inexpensive, but still reliable.

Has anyone used CanadianAffair.com? Are they reliable/legitimate? (They seem to use mostly Thomas Cook and AirTransat.) Any other highly recommended airlines/online deals?

Thank you![/QUOT
We travelled Toronto/dublin on thursday 24th june. I don't think I will use them again though. The flight was packed, the plane was very hot, and the width of the seats very narrow. We got a meal and a snack, which were fine, but we travelled the month before with Delta airlines from Orlando/Dublin and it was a joy. lovely seats, great service, 50kgs allowance and looked like unlimited hand luggage. Water brought round all during the flight free complimentary drink, and also one with food. much cheaper, unfortunately they don't fly into canada. We prebooked our seats and I'm glad I did, would definately recommend doing that. If you can afford to fly with the better airlines I would say do it I am still jet lagged
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We flew Canadian Affair when the Volcano situation was happening. It was chaos, but all airlines would have been the same.

I pre-booked seats, never got what I booked but did get the £72 back for both flights. The food I wouldn't give to a dog, entertainment system was average. As we are short legroom was ok, but the width wasn't the best.

Air Canada was far superior with regards to food, entertainment and seats.

However, it doesn't get you there any quicker and costs at the time for us was £1000 more. However, Canadian Affair prices have hiked for the summer and for £500 more I may go Air Canada for our one way flight.

JET
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

BCollins is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian affair flights will get you there in one piece
Air Canada seems more unfriendly than TC/Transat for double (ish) the cost.
BA will take even more money from you....

I am 6'8" And yeah its tight on Canadian affair flights but you get what you pay for. I flew London-Vancouver last time on Air Canada and it was horrendous and It cost way more than Transat or TC would have.

Depends if you want cheap or luxury....
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses.

British Airways costs at least £300 more than Canadian Affair (Air Canada is even worse) and will add about 5 hours travel time as it will require us flying via London. As much as I want a comfortable flight with decent food and a good entertainment system, we're probably going to have to go with Canadian Affair (£300/person is a lot of extra money for us). *sigh*

I guess we'll just have to bring some DVDs to watch on the laptop and pack snacks for trans-Atlantic subsistence.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

We are going one-way 18 July Manchester to Calgary, have booked premium seats to gain the extra baggage allowance. Have flown many times with TC/AT through Canadian Affairs (they're a no frills airline, so basically you get what you pay for) and staff have generally been pleasant.

Poppit
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Upgrade to club class (premium economy) on Air Transat and the luggage allowance is much more, plus the seats are bigger:

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=21

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=25

CLUB CLASS

All destinations: 40 kg (88 lb.)

Carry on 15kg (33 lb.)

Upgrade's are normally around £90 one way.

Excess baggage costs: £11 per extra kilogram each way for all European destinations

Make sure it's an Air Transat flight and not a Thomas Cooke flight though - huge differences in the Club Class (Premium Economy) between the two.

Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to say I always fly Canadian Affair - both on Transaat & Thomas Cook. Never had a problem.................yet! Boy, their putting their prices up though. I've been flying with them for circa 10 years. They used to be REALLY cheap...............wonder what ever happened to the new Company that was due to launch July 2009? (leftovers from Zoom)
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Oh i miss the days of hard and fast rules.

The other day, my missus secured seats for flights from Couver to London and onto Milan.

By far the cheapest were......

British Airways!

No, i don't understand it either. But that's they way it worked out!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

BCollins is an unknown quantity at this point

I always am annoyed that the fares seem to be way cheaper flying towards London than flying to Canada, especially in advance. I must say I have never seen flights from the uk that the cheapest option was BA. I would love to see it though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.