British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-affair-other-uk-canada-flights-674114/)

Aperture Jun 26th 2010 12:27 pm

Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights)

We're looking at flights from the UK (ideally Glasgow, Edinburgh, or Newcastle) to Canada (Toronto Pearson) and, of course, are hoping to find something relatively inexpensive, but still reliable.

Has anyone used CanadianAffair.com? Are they reliable/legitimate? (They seem to use mostly Thomas Cook and AirTransat.) Any other highly recommended airlines/online deals?

Thank you!

fridgedesign Jun 26th 2010 1:17 pm

Re: Canadian Affair (and other UK-Canada flights)

I have flown them a few times, the flights are always packed, so if you are travelling with someone pay the extra to pre book seats (that if you want to sit next to them)

The flights I have taken with them were from London to Toronto and have always been on time and even arrived early.

Some planes have less leg room, seats are plastic leather effect, so quite sweaty (they don't have the air con on very high). You get one meal plus a small snack before you land but you pay for everything else on board.

Hope that helps....

Aperture Jun 26th 2010 2:06 pm

Thank you for the details, fridgedesign. Hmm, not so sure I like the idea of a plastic leather effect on such a long flight! That said, it may be worth it to save the time/money of having to fly out of London (we live in Edinburgh).

Anyone know of other airlines that fly out of Glasgow/Edinburgh/Newcastle direct to Toronto? I've only seen CanadianAffair.com do it so far, but I'm hoping the hive mind of the Internet (and specifically this forum) will know more than I do. :thumbup:

smivers Jun 26th 2010 2:55 pm

I've used them a few times, both in economy and premium (just the once), and most of my wedding guests who came over from the UK also used them. It's not as nice as Air Canada, but it's usually about half the cost and it gets you here in one piece (and I'm 6'3, and refuse to pay extra for seats with extra legroom). I'd recommend upgrading to premium rather than forking out the extra to fly AC or BA.

Andy

Iain Mc Jun 26th 2010 3:12 pm

Just as a point of interest, with the pound in the toilet as it currently is the occasional deal on the scheduled carriers can be had cheaper than the Transat/Canadian Affair axis if using the strong dollar to buy weak sterling.

Just booked a UK visit from Vancouver (through a UK travel agent) on Air Canada for $1300 return inc. all taxes which was cheaper than any of the charters for the dates we required (and cheaper than was available through any Canadian outlet or direct from AC).

That was to London though, afraid I have no idea about the airports further North, sorry!

Cheers, Iain

The Esses Jun 26th 2010 3:47 pm

I just flew to Vancouver with Canadian Affair. It was actually a Thomas Cook plane.

I was by myself so didn't mind too much, even though I had the plasticky/leather seats. Leg space was tight but the main gripe was the width, which seemed much tighter than the main carriers.

It's true that they overbook though, so I would definitely advise getting there early, as some people were not able to get on.

Mr S

Flyingscottie Jun 26th 2010 4:59 pm

As far as I know Canadian Affair are the only ones who fky directly from Scotland. Not bad, like Thomsons, if you have ever flown with them? No where near as bad as Ryanair, but never match AC or BA.

mojovibe Jun 26th 2010 8:13 pm

Canadian affair are rough and ready but their cheap. I flew with them last month to Calgary from Manchester. On the outbound flight the one of the engines went bang and the plane shook briefly whilst it was taxying to the runway. We were delayed for 1 day, but we were all put up in the Chelsea hotel in the airport. The next day they decided that the plane wasn't safe to fly out so they put some of the passengers on a flight to Gatwick, and told the rest of the passengers they would divert a flight from Vancouver to Calgary, and then onward to Gatwick.

Then they tried to sway responsibility for getting people to Manchester from Gatwick. They said if you choose this option you would have to make your own way to Manchester. The only other option was a refund for your return ticket. Anyway after all the passengers sticking together and demanding transport to Manchester, they eventually gave in and put two coaches on to Manchester.

Have you tried Luftansa, we flew with them last July to Toronto. We flew from Manchester-Frankfurt-Toronto, Toronto, Dusseldorf-Manchester. At that time of year they were actually slightly cheaper than Canadian Affair, and they were a good airline to fly with.

Howefamily Jun 26th 2010 8:39 pm

We just came back from our recce with Canadian affair on a Thomas cook plane. Gatwick - Halifax.
It was on time, leather seats, loads of leg room - far more than Virgin Atlantic when we go 9 hours to Florida.
Great cabin crew, my youngest child knocked my meal on the floor - face down - and I couldnt get to it. The air stewardess cleaned it up asap in a most cheery way.
It was a really nice flight with decentish food and lovely staff.
Totally recommend them:thumbup:

castra Jun 26th 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Esses (Post 8658993)
I just flew to Vancouver with Canadian Affair. It was actually a Thomas Cook plane.

I was by myself so didn't mind too much, even though I had the plasticky/leather seats. Leg space was tight but the main gripe was the width, which seemed much tighter than the main carriers.

It's true that they overbook though, so I would definitely advise getting there early, as some people were not able to get on.

Mr S

All airlines in the World overbook. If the seating requirement goes bust, most airlines ask for volunteers. If you're in no hurry it can be a good little earner. Usually cash compensation, paid for night in a hotel, an upgrade the next day plus any other 'extras' you may be able to negotiate. ;)

I suspect the likes of Transat/T.C. may haggle more over what they give you as goodies though. Despite all the negative stuff from the media & the grinning pullover, B.A. are one of the most generous airlines if there's a need to 'bump' anybody.

rich07 Jun 27th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Aperture (Post 8658706)
We're looking at flights from the UK (ideally Glasgow, Edinburgh, or Newcastle) to Canada (Toronto Pearson) and, of course, are hoping to find something relatively inexpensive, but still reliable.

Has anyone used CanadianAffair.com? Are they reliable/legitimate? (They seem to use mostly Thomas Cook and AirTransat.) Any other highly recommended airlines/online deals?

Thank you!

We have just travelled with Canadian affair, flew Thomas cook out of Manchester to Calgary. Possibly the worst flight ever. The leg room in economy was almost non existent, the inflight entertainment not working and not even an apology. Plus only 20kg weight allowance. We flew back Toronto to Newcastle with air transat, leg length was much better than Thomas cook, inflight entertainment even worked, but you do not get individual screen so have to watch what the rest of the plane is watching. Seats were plasticy and did make legs sweat and no individual air. Also watch out for the stop at Exeter on the way back, 2 hours to clean plane where you have to get off and go through security again, despite not clearing customs. All in all, I have vowed not to travel with Canadian affair again. I would rather pay the extra to air Canada for the comfort and extra baggage allowance

Aperture Jun 27th 2010 11:41 am

Huh, really strange to read that people have had such different experiences (some loved it, some would never fly with them again)! Now I don't know what to think . . .

The cost different between Canadian Affair and all other airlines I can see is £200-£400. No small amount, though I do know and trust British Airways and Air Canada, at least.

I think I may have the make the decision based on baggage allowance. Since we're moving, and not just going on holiday, we're going to want to take a fair bit with us . . .

castra Jun 27th 2010 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aperture (Post 8660473)
Huh, really strange to read that people have had such different experiences (some loved it, some would never fly with them again)! Now I don't know what to think . . .

The cost different between Canadian Affair and all other airlines I can see is £200-£400. No small amount, though I do know and trust British Airways and Air Canada, at least.

I think I may have the make the decision based on baggage allowance. Since we're moving, and not just going on holiday, we're going to want to take a fair bit with us . . .

For economy, the allowance with BA is one 23kg bag per person. Extra bags can be pre booked online for economy class at £32 per bag or at the airport for £40. Flights under the 'Canadian affair' umbrella charge slightly different rates for excess baggage which IMO is inconsistent & nuts! T.C. charge £10 per excess kg whereas Air Transat charge £11. The two airlines also have different policies regarding hand baggage.

If you're planning on taking two bags per passenger you really have to work out if 'Canadian affair' really offers the best deal.

Aperture Jun 27th 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by castra (Post 8660550)
For economy, the allowance with BA is one 23kg bag per person. Extra bags can be pre booked online for economy class at £32 per bag or at the airport for £40. Flights under the 'Canadian affair' umbrella charge slightly different rates for excess baggage which IMO is inconsistent & nuts! T.C. charge £10 per excess kg whereas Air Transat charge £11. The two airlines also have different policies regarding hand baggage.

If you're planning on taking two bags per passenger you really have to work out if 'Canadian affair' really offers the best deal.

Wow, that's a HUGE difference in extra cost per bag. Good Lord. So, basically, 46kg (2 bags) on BA costs roughly the same as 23kg (1 bag) on Canadian Affair.

Canadian Affair:
  • Cheaper airfare
  • Direct flight (much shorter overall travel time)

British Airways:
  • Cheaper to take more bags
  • Nicer in-flight amenities

Hmm . . .

The Esses Jun 27th 2010 5:57 pm

The baggage things was a problem.

I had 42kgs of luggage. Were going to charge me £200.

Luckily they put a zero in the wrong place on the final bill.;)

But, I would rather fly BA/AC in retrospect if you're taking a lot of luggage.