Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Affair have cancelled flights

Canadian Affair have cancelled flights

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canadian Affair have cancelled flights

Sorry to keep going on about this guys and gals but I'm now at war with Canadian Affair and I'm not going to give up without a fight.

I have just read up more about the new rules on cancelled flights, it does affect flights into the UK from outside the EU. This came into force earlier this year:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/..._poster_en.pdf

And hear is the regulation for more details. See article 5 (cancellation), article 8 (right to re-imbursement or re-routing) and article 9 (right to care), plus article 14 (obligation to inform passengers of their rights):

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...en00010007.pdf

I've also found a short guide of how to complain about delays and cancellations:

# If your flight is cancelled, overbooked or subject to a long delay, ask any representative of the airline for written details of your rights. They are obliged under the regulation to provide them. The details are also available on the web at http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/...s/index_en.htm

# Complain immediately to the airline if it fails to offer you the compensation or assistance specified in the regulation

# If the airline continues to deny you your rights, complain to the Air Transport Users Council, either by calling 020 7240 6061 or writing to 45-59 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6TE

# The council will negotiate with the airline on your behalf. If the airline still refuses to comply with the regulation, the council can refer the matter to the Civil Aviation Authority

# The CAA will be able to prosecute the airline, which will be liable for fines of up to £5,000 per incident. Each individual complaint will be treated as a separate incident

# If you are entitled to compensation, the airline must pay it within seven days. It may try to offer you vouchers but can only pay compensation in this way with your signed agreement

Canadian Affair representatives don't seem to have a clue about this, I am not going to accept what they say becuase I don't think they fully understand the new rules. A £5,000 fine could be heading their way in the future, keep it up Canadian Affair and you unfortunately will be out of business.

James
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shell&jim
We are going for a reccy trip to Nova Scotia from 20th September to 11th October this year (vacation and also interviews!! ). We have booked with Canadian Affair from Manchester. We hadn't heard anything from them (they say you get the travel documents 4-6 weeks before flight) so my wife gave them a ring today to confirm. They have said that they are stopping flights between Manchester and Nova Scotia from October 4th as they are concerned about snow... apparently they were grounded last Ocober for 2 days due to bad weather and that's why they are finishing earlier this year! We have noticed in their new brochure that they are not flying at all from Manchester to Halifax next year.

They have offered us a return flight on the 4th, or they can give us an internal flight to Toronto (anytime) and fly back to Manchester on the 9th or 13th. Of course coming back early means we have a shorter holiday and we have paid for a motorhome; we wouldn't get the difference back now. Coming back on the later date means we need to stay in a hotel for two nights. They have said they will not pay for the hotel. I am going to give them a ring tomorrow (as I've got a louder voice than my wife!) and really complain, I am going to threaten them with a formal complaint to ABTA and also the Chartered Association of Arbitrators if we don't get reasonable compensation (hotel plus transport to/from airport, we will pay for food etc and I possibly need to take 2 days unpaid leave from work as all my holiday time has been used up). I think they have not been doing too well on this route and just want to end it early to save money. They are not cancelling flights from Toronto because of the threat of snow...

Just thought I would mention this in case anyone else was thinking about flying or have already booked with Canadian Affair during October or next year. Anyone else managed to get compensation out of them...?

It's a pity as we want to move to NS but it will make it more difficult for friends/relatives to visit and vice-versa.

James
To all who are planning to travel to Toronto and points east and are being collected, avoid the Canadian airlines and travel to Buffalo, NY, USA and Bangor, Maine, USA for southern New Brunswick. The flights will be half the price and who ever is collecting you at the airport, pay the gas costs, even in the current gas price climate, you will still save!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future

Just to let everyone know, I rang the Air Transport Users Council a couple of days ago to make sure that the new legislation applied to Canadian Affair. I was told it did.

I then contacted Canadian Affair to request the later flights and was told that there was only three seats left - we only had the letter with the new flight details Saturday and I rang first thing Monday. I nearly hit the ceiling. The next available flight they could offer was another two days after, basically 4 days after we were supposed to originally leave. I reminded the chap of the new law and said that they would have to pay for the extra nights accomodation etc. Unbelievably some more seats suddenly became available - a choice of 4 in a row or 2 by 2 - i.e. 8 unfilled seats conveniently arranged.

I have now written a statement to Canadian Affair saying that we will accept this later flight via Toronto but that we would be claiming in full the hotel cost, food and transport for the two days stay.

I'm mad and I want to get even!!!

J
Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:27 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Have you not heard that the stewards pee in your tea, and spit in the food of passengers that upset them????????
Make sure your seats are not covered in tacks before you sit down!!

I am flying on Sunday ( yes I know it is 11 th of the 9th, but life goes on!)
with Can Affair to Vancouver, but because of all the stories of cancelled flights etc. rang to check all was OK just incase they changed my flight, so far so good!! Will worry again in 3 weeks when i return!

Originally Posted by shell&jim
Just to let everyone know, I rang the Air Transport Users Council a couple of days ago to make sure that the new legislation applied to Canadian Affair. I was told it did.

I then contacted Canadian Affair to request the later flights and was told that there was only three seats left - we only had the letter with the new flight details Saturday and I rang first thing Monday. I nearly hit the ceiling. The next available flight they could offer was another two days after, basically 4 days after we were supposed to originally leave. I reminded the chap of the new law and said that they would have to pay for the extra nights accomodation etc. Unbelievably some more seats suddenly became available - a choice of 4 in a row or 2 by 2 - i.e. 8 unfilled seats conveniently arranged.

I have now written a statement to Canadian Affair saying that we will accept this later flight via Toronto but that we would be claiming in full the hotel cost, food and transport for the two days stay.

I'm mad and I want to get even!!!

J
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:39 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Checked the Canadian Affair website and they are still taking bookings for the return from Halifax on the 6th to Gatwick, but the last one to manchester is on the 4th!

Checked again and it seems that the flight to the UK on the 6th might be the last one!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liftman
Checked the Canadian Affair website and they are still taking bookings for the return from Halifax on the 6th to Gatwick, but the last one to manchester is on the 4th!

Checked again and it seems that the flight to the UK on the 6th might be the last one!
Hello Liftman,

You are correct, the last direct flight from NS is the 4th. They have cancelled October almost completely. They are not flying next year from Manchester - Halifax, guess they are cutting their losses.

J
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I swore I would not travel Canadian Affair again after they messed us around last year, but we did in fact end up using them for our landing flight last week, for reasons that are a little complicated.

I have to say that everything went entirely like clockwork, hardly any queuing to check in (unlike last year), and everything was on time and very pleasent experience!!

The only complaint from the boys was that the films were naff!!

Coming home on Thursday on my own, we would even have left early, but eventually were delayed by a passenger going AWOL, and they had to get his bag off eventually before we could fly! We still landed 10 mins early at Gatwick with the help of a strong tail-wind!