Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

canadian affair flight

canadian affair flight

Old May 28th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all
Default Re: canadian affair flight

The baggage allowance varies. Canadian Affair are only a booking agent and the baggage allowance varies between the carriers they are using. I have thus far found their customer service very good - I call, a real person picks up the phone, answers my questions - checking not the CA allowance, but the carrier on the flight I am enquiring about allowance, and being helpful.

I am sorry for the people that have had less positive experiences; when we flew over earlier this year we used KLM - long flights, uncomfortable, didn't get the seats we pre-booked, lights and entertainment system went down, and it got cold - no word of explanation or apology ... all in all awful!

So I suspect there are poor stories from any airline!

Having said that, you do get kinda what you pay for! CA flights are half the price of others - I can fly Glasgow to TO for the same as it costs me to fly to London on BA! We have found that paying the upgrade is worthwhile on CA - if only for the massive baggage allowance increase!

Think its just case of what you can afford/want to afford ... the less you pay, the less you can expect - hey, Ryanair are even considering charging to use the toilet on short domestic UK flights now!
Old May 28th 2011, 11:46 am
Just Joined

ukpostbox is an unknown quantity at this point

If you've booked via Canadian affair then you will be flying with Air Transat as they own CA. I would always recommend anyone from the UK to book direct with airtransat (airtransat.co.uk ).

I have flown with Air Transat many many times & if you can afford the upgrade to Club Class take it as it's well worth the extra £120.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:58 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Canadian Affair, they're a rough arsed cowboy outfit! I've always found that air fares in general always increase around the school holidays and then start to drop afterwards, Then they increase around Christmas time.

Digressing slightly

Last May I was sheduled on a return flight from Calgary to Manchester when the starboard engine went bang whilst it was taxiing on the runway. The Captain had the sense to throttle the engines up several times bacause he knew that something was wrong with it. And of course the imminent fault developed, maybe it was an accumulation of volcanic ash form the Icelandic volcano. Although they had been flying over Scandanavia to get round the cloud.

In the meantime we were put up in the Delta hotel, and finally they announced that a flight from Vancouver to Gatwick was detouring and would pick us up. But they tried to say that we would have to make our own way back to Manchester. Eventually they gave in a put a bus on from Gatwick to Manchester. I had paid extra for my chosen seat, but they wouldn't refund it. The return flights cost less than £350.00, but when I went again in August, they were around the £500.00 mark and I had booked them in June.

Whilst on the flight in August the inflight service was appauling, the tannoy didn't work nor did the jack sockets for the head sets. I didn't fancy paying the prices for the drinks on the plane, so being bored I opened a bottle of duty free whiskey and had a couple of nips out of it. I was just about to put the bottle back in my overhead luggage, when a stroppy flight stewardess tried to give me a dressing down about drinking my own alcohol on a Thomas Cook plane. When it was clearly stated on the tannoys that it was forbidden, and that if I didn't put it away she would consficate it from me.

Well straight away she got my back up with her strop, so I had to inform her once again that the tannoy didn't work where we were sat amongst other things, I told her to go away and not to come back until she had learned the art of assertiveness. And reminded her that I was the one who'd paid for the ticket and also I informed her that if she even did so much as try to reach over to take anything of mine, she would be so sorry she opened her stroppy cow mouth. She walked off and in the meantime I had put my bottle back up in my overhead luggage. When another trolley dolly came along and tried to more or less lecture me how important that the trolley dollies were and how significant I was. I just ignored her and started to read one of the magazines stored behind the seat, whilst giving her the thumbs down whilst she was banging her gums.

I should've really reported the matter to Thomas Cook, but putting two and two together, and from my previous experience with them regarding trying to dissmiss the fact that my return ticket stated Manchester and not Gatwick. I just put it down to a badly managed firm run by chancers that probably couldn't spell the word customer service. And are just interested in profit only and not the ethics associated with good business. Despite having said that, I would fly with them again but only if the ticket was cheap and no other flights were available. But I would not recommend them to anyone wanting to travel second class or higher. In my opinion Canadian Affair only offer third class and below, and their staff must be long term unemployed who have been forced into a job regarding to their attitude.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Can I just say we have been with CA Gatwick-Toronto more than once and have had no problems at all. Staff friendly, food ok for airline, must have been a lucky one, but we will again be booking with them. All airlines have their bad times not just CA. At the end of the day the prices are cheaper which is what makes them attractive.

Someone in a previous post said it was just Air Transat if you book through CA Thomas Cook also fly through them, just thought i would point that out!!

DC
Old May 28th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Yes Canadian Affair, they're a rough arsed cowboy outfit! I've always found that air fares in general always increase around the school holidays and then start to drop afterwards, Then they increase around Christmas time.

Digressing slightly

Last May I was sheduled on a return flight from Calgary to Manchester when the starboard engine went bang whilst it was taxiing on the runway. The Captain had the sense to throttle the engines up several times bacause he knew that something was wrong with it. And of course the imminent fault developed, maybe it was an accumulation of volcanic ash form the Icelandic volcano. Although they had been flying over Scandanavia to get round the cloud.

In the meantime we were put up in the Delta hotel, and finally they announced that a flight from Vancouver to Gatwick was detouring and would pick us up. But they tried to say that we would have to make our own way back to Manchester. Eventually they gave in a put a bus on from Gatwick to Manchester. I had paid extra for my chosen seat, but they wouldn't refund it. The return flights cost less than £350.00, but when I went again in August, they were around the £500.00 mark and I had booked them in June.

Whilst on the flight in August the inflight service was appauling, the tannoy didn't work nor did the jack sockets for the head sets. I didn't fancy paying the prices for the drinks on the plane, so being bored I opened a bottle of duty free whiskey and had a couple of nips out of it. I was just about to put the bottle back in my overhead luggage, when a stroppy flight stewardess tried to give me a dressing down about drinking my own alcohol on a Thomas Cook plane. When it was clearly stated on the tannoys that it was forbidden, and that if I didn't put it away she would consficate it from me.

Well straight away she got my back up with her strop, so I had to inform her once again that the tannoy didn't work where we were sat amongst other things, I told her to go away and not to come back until she had learned the art of assertiveness. And reminded her that I was the one who'd paid for the ticket and also I informed her that if she even did so much as try to reach over to take anything of mine, she would be so sorry she opened her stroppy cow mouth. She walked off and in the meantime I had put my bottle back up in my overhead luggage. When another trolley dolly came along and tried to more or less lecture me how important that the trolley dollies were and how significant I was. I just ignored her and started to read one of the magazines stored behind the seat, whilst giving her the thumbs down whilst she was banging her gums.

I should've really reported the matter to Thomas Cook, but putting two and two together, and from my previous experience with them regarding trying to dissmiss the fact that my return ticket stated Manchester and not Gatwick. I just put it down to a badly managed firm run by chancers that probably couldn't spell the word customer service. And are just interested in profit only and not the ethics associated with good business. Despite having said that, I would fly with them again but only if the ticket was cheap and no other flights were available. But I would not recommend them to anyone wanting to travel second class or higher. In my opinion Canadian Affair only offer third class and below, and their staff must be long term unemployed who have been forced into a job regarding to their attitude.
I think your experience is down to your stinking attitude rather than the company. It's disgusting how people treat customer service based employees and then turn it around to make it look like the employee is in the wrong. She had a duty to tell you to put your alcohol away, after all she was just doing her job. I hope you realise you look and sound like a spoilt child who didn't get their way.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ukpostbox
If you've booked via Canadian affair then you will be flying with Air Transat as they own CA. I would always recommend anyone from the UK to book direct with airtransat (airtransat.co.uk ).

I have flown with Air Transat many many times & if you can afford the upgrade to Club Class take it as it's well worth the extra £120.
They also have a contract with Thomas Cook and own the rights to the aircraft they use, however, booking direct with Thomas Cook is not a good choice as they add on their commission before selling and cannot pull any deals at all.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Y

I think you showed extreme patience and control.

Last edited by Oink; May 28th 2011 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion Canadian Affair only offer third class and below, and their staff must be long term unemployed who have been forced into a job regarding to their attitude.
And you being such a pleasure to deal with, and all.
Old May 28th 2011, 4:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

....When another trolley dolly came along....
Originally Posted by Third6
I think your experience is down to your stinking attitude.....I hope you realise you look and sound like a spoilt child who didn't get their way.
You're too kind, Third6.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

jennianne is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rather fly with the thomas cook plane through them than air transat! the air transat we came from glasgow - toronto in nov was ancient!!! and screens were down the middle of the plane so my 2 boys couldnt see the screen!! thats was a really long flight then! My hubby came sept glasgow to calgary with CA on thomas cook and had a screen on back of his seat with selection of movies!!

Originally Posted by daisychain
Can I just say we have been with CA Gatwick-Toronto more than once and have had no problems at all. Staff friendly, food ok for airline, must have been a lucky one, but we will again be booking with them. All airlines have their bad times not just CA. At the end of the day the prices are cheaper which is what makes them attractive.

Someone in a previous post said it was just Air Transat if you book through CA Thomas Cook also fly through them, just thought i would point that out!!

DC
Old May 28th 2011, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Third6
I think your experience is down to your stinking attitude rather than the company. It's disgusting how people treat customer service based employees and then turn it around to make it look like the employee is in the wrong. She had a duty to tell you to put your alcohol away, after all she was just doing her job. I hope you realise you look and sound like a spoilt child who didn't get their way.
Sorry to hear that you feel that way. There is a way of speaking to someone and suggesting them t do something without offending them, its called assertiveness. If people don't know what that way is then they have an attitude problem, and tend not to get very far in life. She was very rude, pig ignorrant, and very unproffesional and lacked assertiveness. I honestly beleive beyond any shadow of a doubt that my response to her was justifiable under the circumstances.

Everyone who I have spoke to about the matter so far agrees with me, even my missus who is a project worker and counsellor for homeless people wasn't shocked at my actions, and she was sat next to me.

I'm not a school child from the seventies or before that decade any more, therefore I will not be treat like that anymore by anyone. If I am treat like that by anyone, they are soon put straight. We told them in a polite manner that the headphone jacks and the tannoy wasn't working when they came round with the first set of snacks, and we just got a big stupid smile and "OK then" for a reply.

Anyway since you think that I look (?) and sound like a spoilt child with an attitude problem, what would you have done under the same circumstances? Or do you think you're too sophisicated to give an account of such a situation?
Old May 28th 2011, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ann m
And you being such a pleasure to deal with, and all.
How would have you dealt with such a stiuation?
Old May 28th 2011, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You're too kind, Third6.
Old May 28th 2011, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't fancy paying the prices for the drinks on the plane, so being bored I opened a bottle of duty free whiskey and had a couple of nips out of it. I was just about to put the bottle back in my overhead luggage, when a stroppy flight stewardess tried to give me a dressing down about drinking my own alcohol on a Thomas Cook plane. When it was clearly stated on the tannoys that it was forbidden, and that if I didn't put it away she would consficate it from me.

I don't need to explain anything further - you have explained your incident and your own attitude (is that you being assertive sir?) in quite eloquent detail.

It is a well known fact that you can't drink your own duty free booze on flights. In fact, many airlines take it away from you as you board, and bring it back to you as you leave the plane. Seems some people can't be trusted.

There is no need for cabin crew to be stroppy or rude - and I feel many are very assertive to the point of almost sounding rude - but it sounded like you suited each other.
Old May 29th 2011, 12:11 am
Account Closed

I don't need to explain anything further - you have explained your incident and your own attitude (is that you being assertive sir?) in quite eloquent detail.

It is a well known fact that you can't drink your own duty free booze on flights. In fact, many airlines take it away from you as you board, and bring it back to you as you leave the plane. Seems some people can't be trusted.

That hasn't always been the case, until last year it was 5 years ago when I last flew or sailed. And I have always had the choice of consuming my own food and drink if I so wished, and I have flown on many different airlines and cruised with many different lines with no such instances of bad attitudes from cabin crew staff on either plane or vessel. If they have changed the rules since then, which it would appear they had unbeknown to me. Then they should point this out to the paying passengers who in turn make employment possible for them. If they choose to use electrical communication then the least they can do is maintain it and make sure its in audible working order.

On a KLM flight to Cleveland back in the nineties, an elderly Dutch couple were sat next to me and were trying to tell me about a problem, their English wasn't very good which was unusual, and I couldn't understand them. So after a few attempts of trying to communicate with them, I just simply appologised for not being able to understand them. Anyway shortly after a very lovely air stewardess who was able to speak Dutch explained to me that the Dutch lady was asking if I would kindly turn off my lamp as she was trying to sleep and she had some kind of eye condition sensitive to light. Of which of course I turned it off. When we landed and I was queuing in the immigration, the stewardess was walking behind the passport booth and shouted over to me, "thank you and enjoy your visit to the US".

There is no need for cabin crew to be stroppy or rude - and I feel many are very assertive to the point of almost sounding rude - but it sounded like you suited each other.

OOOOOOOOH don't get out of your pram! As I said in my other post, she wasn't assertive, she was stroppy and aggressive and had a holier than thou attitude. She must have forgotten who was paying for the ticket. Had She had worked in any of the fine dining restaurants and hotels that I carry out service work in, her arse would not have touched if she had behaved in the same way.

Like you say there is no reason to be stroppy or rude, she was, so naturally she caused me to be defensive. But if you think that we suited each other then that's your egregious opinion. But one thing is for sure... I don't deserve you!

Bye the way what time do you report for duty on tommorows TCX flight from Manchester?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by mojovibe; May 29th 2011 at 12:20 am. Reason: parragraph error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.