Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Affair

Canadian Affair

Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian Affair

Yes Canadian Affair is cramped and a bit of a nightmare at times.... but you can usually get the flight for about $500 less than anywhere else... So for $500 extra spending money I use them every time!

To be honest I dont actually mind them I think they are ok!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

sometimes it is worth weighing your bag before you go to the airport, I always weigh mine to check but really if it is a vacation, which is what budget ones are designed for, then how much do a few clothes really weigh? If you are emegrating then sure you have a lot of stuff so you need a bigger allowance. When I moved here I flew KLM and they had a really reasonable excess fee if you did it by full suitcases, i.e. don't go overweight on yoru suitcase but pay the fixed rate (was like $75 or something) for an additional suitcase allowance. Was cheaper than shipping for some of my stuffI wanted immediately.
I am flying Canadian Affair in September and they are all Air Transat who are an established Canadian budget holiday flight company. My wife flew with them the first time she came to visit the UK in the 90's.
The legroom etc. is better now than it used to be, especially the time I went with Thomas Cook, they actually advertised their increased pitch.
I've flown UK to Canada with TC, Air Transat, BA, Air Canada, Air France, KLM, US Airways, American, Continental etc. and in the end, if you are coach/economy you get the smae thing, tiny seats crammed in and hit and miss service. At least the TC/Transat ones give you a meal, even if it sucks, Air CAnada now you have to pay for anything you want to eat in flight.
the aircraft can make a difference, depending on how busy the route/time is they can vary between newer larger aircraft that have more modern facilities like the tvs and their older fleet whcih are smaller and have the dodgy random screens that may or may not work/be in colour etc.
In the end you get what you pay for. I compared and while Air Transat will cost us jus shy of $2,000 it is still $1,000 cheaper than the scheduled flights, many of which aren't direct. So in the end you just put up with it for 7 hours for a cheap flight. Worse is when you see that the taxes+fees are more than the tickets.....
The reason excess baggage is so expensive is that they budget the jet fuel based on weight (passengers, luggage etc.) so for any additional weight they have to burn more fuel which costs a lot of money and they really don't make a lot of money as it is, as above most of our ticket price goes to the government.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:49 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
At least the TC/Transat ones give you a meal, even if it sucks, Air CAnada now you have to pay for anything you want to eat in flight.
Not true on international flights.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

mittenstb is an unknown quantity at this point

any updates on the possible disruption?

also i've booked thru canadian affair, flying air transat
i was reassured by the lady who did the booking that the luggage allowance is 25kg per person and when i queried it saying 20kg on the website she said that was for tc flights...
i shall be standing my ground at the airport as i'll be weighing my suitcases before we go...
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mittenstb

i was reassured by the lady who did the booking that the luggage allowance is 25kg per person and when i queried it saying 20kg on the website she said that was for tc flights...
i shall be standing my ground at the airport as i'll be weighing my suitcases before we go...
They probably should have explained it better........20kg checked in baggage, 5kg carry on......You cannot combine it though, they have to be taken as that. Unless you have it in writing from Canadian Affair, standing your ground wont work. Sometimes they can be generous and let you away with a few kg maybe up to 5kg.........Maybe this is what she was getting at but that is NEVER guaranteed and isnt a right you are entitled to.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

I think its been averted.

http://bit.ly/nGYwPJ

Check this link from the Montreal Gazette.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

no i double/triple checked with her, she said it was definitely 25kg in the hol,d plus the 5kg carry on....i shall ring them tomorrow to quadruple check lol
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

no i double/triple checked with her, she said it was definitely 25kg in the hol,d plus the 5kg carry on....i shall ring them tomorrow to quadruple check lol
I checked both Canadian Affair and Air Transat's web site. Canadian Affair 20 kg in the hold and 5 kg for carry on. Air Transat 25 kg in the hold and 5 kg for carry on. If you bought your ticket from Canadian Affair it's going to be 20 kg in the hold.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Whatever they say to you, ask them to send you an email confirming it with their name at the bottom coming from a canadian affair email address......It may help you at check in......And save you 50 quid as its 10gbp per kilo!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

I am just back from Canada, flying Air Transat through Canadian Affair both ways. My case going over to Canada was about 24.5 Kilos but the lovely check in girl did not charge me extra and on the way home I was again about 2 Kilos over and again I was lucky and no charge. I also hit it off coming back standard class, with 2 spare seats beside me (night time flight) and I was able to stretch out over 3 seats and make a nice little bed for myself . The only downside is they don't supply the fleecy blanket and pillow anymore and you have to purchase them as part of a comfort pack $7. However overall it is good value and very seldom any delays. Very modern plane on the way back too with the tv screens on the seatbacks with good choice of films etc.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

good news for all flying with air transat!!
the baggage allowance is 25KG per person in the hold
plus 5kg carry on
go to air transat site directly where it confirms this

it is also a whopping 40kg if you upgrade to club class

this is only flying with air transat NOT thomas cook

hope this helps
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

btw canuck, she also confirmed that it doesn't matter if i booked thro canadian affair as they have to put the lowest amount on as that applies to thomas cook!!
i'm well happy now
Old Jul 20th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rich07
TC are also very hot on baggage weight. They weighed each bag separately including hand luggage, excess baggage charges are also very expensive at £15 per kilo
I think it depends on the individual checkout staff, and what mood they are in. When my husband flew out (one way) with TC at the start of March, he had to half empty his suitcase to satisfy them that he was within the baggage allowance.
When I flew out with the children (one way) with TC in mid May, we had way over the baggage allowance - and I mean WAY over - and we weren't challenged, and didn't have to pay a penny extra.
I was expecting it to cost a fortune in excess baggage charges - and I was actually quite worried they might refuse to take it all.
I guess I was just lucky.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey690 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question

Will I receive tickets from Canadian affair flying with Thomas Cook. My flights are 2 weeks away now and i haven't seen anything yet.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickey690
Just a quick question

Will I receive tickets from Canadian affair flying with Thomas Cook. My flights are 2 weeks away now and i haven't seen anything yet.
just take a copy of your itinerary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.