Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Affair

Canadian Affair

Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

irthedino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Affair

I have to add that i've never had any issues with Canadian Affair - travelled with them 5 times and each occasion has been hassle free.

Hope i'm not overdue a bad experience

Di
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Almost guaranteed that you would disagree. Your hatred of AC is well-documented. My experience with US carriers is far less than yours but, with the exception of a couple of puddle-jumpers in WY, has only been foul.
What's the best way to get to Reno, BTW? It looks hideous from Ottawa. Someone has suggested to me to fly to Vancouver and then down.
I lived in the states for years and travelled regularly on American carriers are disgustingly bad and they've been getting worse over the years. The only bright spot was the free booze in the club lounges on layovers.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
Looks like your in the minority. How about this for an example of poor terms and conditions with Air Transcrap. A friend decided to extend his stay in Canada, called AT who said they would not change the flight oh and you now owe us a £80 cancellation fee and you wont be getting a refund of the air fare. I was in the same situation and Air Canada, no problem Sir all you need to pay is a $80 change fee. Every time I have flown AC i have never been short of drinks and the staff were more than happy for me to walk to the galley and ask for a beer in between trolley runs. The one time they had a fault with the TV system I was immediately given a code for a 5% discount off my next flight as opposed to AT who in the same situation said tough luck I have also had other poor experiences with AT and know other who have but never heard many gripes about AC. I do take satisfaction in the fact that 6 of my family booked AC instead of AT after my poor experience with AT.
Don't think i'm in the minority at all, in fact many Canadians complain about their national carrier a bit like Brits complaining about BA. Now there's an interesting thing, I've flown BA an many occasions and have never had a bad BA experience.
A few years ago when we came over here for holiday our return flight on AC was affected by a strike from the food service people so we were told no meal service on board only drinks and a pre made roll/sandwich in a box. Well that is what we got but this is where they fell short again. They could have made the whole thing a bit less humdrum by bringing out the drinks trolley regularly and supplying tea and coffee more often, instead they gave out the boxes and a drink and pretty much sat down until they got up to offer the "once an hour water"
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My advice for anyone booking online with Canadian Affair is to take screen shots of your booking before you click the submit button.

Now, it may be a coincidence that the return flight we thought we had booked was EXACTLY the same price as the one-way ticket they sold us. However, it was a non-refundable ticket so their attitude was that if the confirmation email they sent us showed a one way ticket, and if we couldn't prove we had booked a return, it was tough titty for us.

As for AC I have flown with them to/from Europe and to/from Asia without much to complain about. There in-flight service is not as good as the Asian airlines but not bad. Pretty much on a par with BA IMO.

I know a lot of people who complain about AC's internal flights - in particular their response when things go wrong. I've not experienced this, but then I usually chose Westjet.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has me very concerned.

We have booked to fly AA from Calgary to Florida, with a stop over each way in Texas.

We have 2 1/2 hours between flights going and only 1 1/2 hours between flights coming back. Sounds like that will be a problem.

The other problem I realised after booking was their baggage allowance when flying between US and Canada. It appears to be carry on only unless one pays for checked. Bummer
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Funny and fiitting....

The Celtic cheap flight song''''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc

Worth listening to the end of the song.....

Last edited by airbornesapper; Aug 25th 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

We have booked to fly AA from Calgary to Florida, with a stop over each way in Texas.

We have 2 1/2 hours between flights going and only 1 1/2 hours between flights coming back. Sounds like that will be a problem.

The other problem I realised after booking was their baggage allowance when flying between US and Canada. It appears to be carry on only unless one pays for checked. Bummer
IME, if all flights are on AA and you're hubbing through Dallas/Fort Worth, 90 minutes is safe. If you're going through Houston it's not safe but the upside is that the hotel AA suggest (but won't pay for) when you're stranded is next to an excellent cajun restaurant.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:51 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the TX airports but if they are anything like Chicago, 90 minutes is do-able but there is no wiggle room. Your luggage may not make it.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
IME, if all flights are on AA and you're hubbing through Dallas/Fort Worth, 90 minutes is safe. If you're going through Houston it's not safe but the upside is that the hotel AA suggest (but won't pay for) when you're stranded is next to an excellent cajun restaurant.
We are hubbing through Dallas/Fort Worth so it sounds like we will be missing out on a cajun dinner, all flights are with AA.

I don't know the TX airports but if they are anything like Chicago, 90 minutes is do-able but there is no wiggle room. Your luggage may not make it.
The luggage was our biggest concern. Do we need to pick up and re check or will AA take care of that internally? All flights are with them.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The luggage was our biggest concern. Do we need to pick up and re check or will AA take care of that internally? All flights are with them.
They do it.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

heckler will become famous soon enough

As with all things, you get what you pay for...CA....have their fair share of horror stories.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We are hubbing through Dallas/Fort Worth so it sounds like we will be missing out on a cajun dinner, all flights are with AA.

I imagine that you will clear US Immigration before you board in Calgary. It might be worth stressing at check-in that you have a short connection time.

It's not the end of the world if your luggage misses the connection. They will get it on the next flight and deliver it to wherever you are staying.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They do it.
OK, that sounds better
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's not the end of the world if your luggage misses the connection. They will get it on the next flight and deliver it to wherever you are staying.
Maybe.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:30 pm
Slob

Maybe.
I was trying to be optimistic. Don't scare him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.