Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Affair

Canadian Affair

Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:36 pm
Arrived 12th March 2009

markandlibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Affair

I have often recommended Canadian Affair to friends and family coming to visit Canada, however I would like to withdraw that recommendation.

DO NOT EVER USE CANADIAN AFFAIR!

They have just told us that the return flight from Vancouver to London that we booked in January, departing in Sept 14th and returning Oct 5th, is no longer running (despite knowing about this since at least May) They waited until we had paid the balance in full and there is no chance of a refund before telling us this news.

They offered to fly us back earlier (which means cutting our trip short and changing our accomodation and airport travel arrangements) with an added flight change in Toronto (not ideal, but we reluctanly accepted)

We have now received our invoice only to find our supposed return flight leaves us stranded in Toronto with no onward connection or arrangements to get us back to Vancouver - THOUSANDS OF MILES FROM TORONTO!

I would gladly pay 10 times the fare NEVER to have to deal with these underhand, uncaring and incompetant jerks again!

BE WARNED!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian Affair

Ive frequently given my opinion of Air Transcrap/canadian affair on this forum and it has never been favourable. Don't like em at all. That's why I say pay the extra for Air Canada who's terms and conditions are much fairer as well as having a better flight service and customer service. as they say you often get what you pay for.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Junior was completely stitched up by them as well. They'll never see my credit card numbers again.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandlibby
They waited until we had paid the balance in full and there is no chance of a refund before telling us this news.
Of course there is,
'If we are unable to provide the booked travel arrangements, you can either have a refund of all monies paid whereupon the liability of Canadian Affair ceases, or accept an offer of alternative travel arrangements of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value).'

If you have not traveled yet and the service you were sold has not been provided, call your credit card company (if you paid by credit card of course). They should be able to reverse the transaction.

They are registered in the UK, so you could try a letter to ABTA and see if that gets you anywhere.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:13 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markandlibby
I have often recommended Canadian Affair to friends and family coming to visit Canada, however I would like to withdraw that recommendation.

DO NOT EVER USE CANADIAN AFFAIR!

They have just told us that the return flight from Vancouver to London that we booked in January, departing in Sept 14th and returning Oct 5th, is no longer running (despite knowing about this since at least May) They waited until we had paid the balance in full and there is no chance of a refund before telling us this news.

They offered to fly us back earlier (which means cutting our trip short and changing our accomodation and airport travel arrangements) with an added flight change in Toronto (not ideal, but we reluctanly accepted)

We have now received our invoice only to find our supposed return flight leaves us stranded in Toronto with no onward connection or arrangements to get us back to Vancouver - THOUSANDS OF MILES FROM TORONTO!

I would gladly pay 10 times the fare NEVER to have to deal with these underhand, uncaring and incompetant jerks again!

BE WARNED!
I'd be highly surpised if they're leaving you in Toronto. Rather than check the invoice, why not give them a call and find out what's going on.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:06 am
Arrived 12th March 2009

I should have learnt from previous experiences with Canadian affair, firstly in March last year we were charged for 28kg of excess baggage, yet somehow during the flight our baggage shrunk and when it was weighed by Air Canada in Vancouver for our connecting flight it weighed 8 kg less - strange that! We have still not received an acknowledgement let alone a response to four complaint letters.

In September my parents flight time was changed at the last minute causing them to miss their connecting flight in Vancouver. They also gave the seats that they had paid extra to reserve to someone else!

In December my wife's parents were visiting and sadly my wifes Grandmother passed away. Canadian Affair refused point blank to change their return flight to enable them to attend her funeral. They had to book a return flight with BA. My father in law has yet to receive a response to the letter he sent in January. Compasionate aren't they . . . . ?!

In May my mother visited again, this time selecting a connecting flight with several hours to spare to allow for any delays - Canadian Affair once again changed the departure time with only a couple of weeks notice so my mother was forced to cancel and rebook her connecting flight at considerable extra expense.

Well I have certainly leart my lesson (finally) and our family, friends and ourselves will no longer be using them again. I seek solace in knowing that this will cost them at least 6 return flights in 2011 alone!

I have sent two emails regarding this latest mess and still have not received a response. If I haven't heard from them by thursday (when I fnish this set of shifts at work) I will be speaking to my credit card company (thanks for that advice by the way )

When I originally contacted them about this flight change they point blank refused to discuss compensation, and i quote "Unfortunately Canadian Affair is not offering any compensation for the flight change", that just sums up their feeling towards customer care - they don't care as soon as they have your money!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

This is the one of the highest people you can email (took a little bit of searching to find) [email protected] she will likely tell you to not contact her unless it's through your solicitor but give it a try.The reply I got to a well worded complaint letter (I deal with complaints for a living for an ombudsman so know how to write a complaint) was stropy and grammatically appalling as well as very unprofessional.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:25 pm
Arrived 12th March 2009

Thanks for the responses - the latest news (after yet more emails and several telephone calls!) They have offered to fly us from Toronto to Vancouver using WestJet - this will be an economy flight, despite us paying for an upgrade all the way to Vancouver. We will also be liable for excess baggage as WestJet offer only 23kg per bag. We paid for the upgrade so we could have the excess baggage and so we could relax and enjoy the flight back as it is upsetting leaving friends and family behind. Now it has turned into a 14 hour nightmare
We have therefore decided to call again tomorrow (they have stopped answering the telephone today) and we will request a full refund as suggested, if they will not return our money I will be calling our credit card company, if I can't get our money back that way I will be calling a solicitor.
I wish I had never been so stupid as to use Canadian Affair in the first place :curse:
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:28 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can have 2 bags of 23kg each =on a west jet!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:50 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone

Westjet allows two bags per person, with each bag weighing 23 kg .....see link:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...sBaggage.shtml

Cheers

JB
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:58 pm
Arrived 12th March 2009

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for their support and suggestions, at the end of the day we will get home to visit our friends and family somehow, and we will be much wiser for the experience. Thanks again
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

D Buck is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what is happening with the flights for november onwards??

Everytime I try to search for flights past november this year there arn't any.

Me and the wife have had problem with canadian affair but not massive problems, they are still the cheapest out there by a long way.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by D Buck
Does anyone know what is happening with the flights for november onwards??

Everytime I try to search for flights past november this year there arn't any.

Me and the wife have had problem with canadian affair but not massive problems, they are still the cheapest out there by a long way.
Are you searching for flights from somewhere like Edmonton, which they only fly to during the summer?

Andy
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Gatwick to Toronto are available
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

D Buck is an unknown quantity at this point

Calgary is where i will be flying to.

They used to do the winter flights for the ski season and I was there for a length of time in march and april this year aswell.

It just seems that they dont have any flights at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.