Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by G77
Brit friend of mine went into a room full of Canadians and pronounced that it "stinks of fags in here" They were somewhat aghast!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I wish you could get proper cream here too, the runny stuff just isn't right! I have thought about making clotted cream, apparently jersey milk is the best for it.

Now is it just an NS thing to say 'Supper' for 'teatime', or is it Canadian? Whenever I say I'm going to have my tea they always think it's a cup of tea! How can you have supper at 6.00 at night?
Hmm, I always heard it called supper growing up...except for my grandparents who called it dinner. My bf's parents (british) call it tea. Around here (NS and Ontario anyway) supper/dinner was the evening meal. As for 6pm - well, again growing up everyone I knew ate dinner/supper at around that time.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony the pilot
Power to your elbow, however there maybe other forces at work here namely the OH.

All the best
No she was as surprised as me that I had to hitch a ride home.

Now looking into a Cessna 400, a bit more sedate, but with a 25,000 ceiling (its pressurized), 235k cruise and 1250 mile range, I should be good to go IFR over the rocks between BC and AB without a gas stop. They even give you $25k of free fuel! Should last me a couple of weeks
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:05 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I wish you could get proper cream here too, the runny stuff just isn't right! I have thought about making clotted cream, apparently jersey milk is the best for it.

Now is it just an NS thing to say 'Supper' for 'teatime', or is it Canadian? Whenever I say I'm going to have my tea they always think it's a cup of tea! How can you have supper at 6.00 at night?
I think supper is a more working class term than dinner. People dress up and go out for dinner but they'll have supper at home.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

i want a hoe for my garden:

http://www.southernobserver.com/images/hoe.jpg

all I am finding is these . . .http://www.rlarson.com/Product/garden/G303500.jpg

my father is not happy!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

all I am finding is these . . .http://www.rlarson.com/Product/garden/G303500.jpg

my father is not happy!!
Take your pick (or hoe) as they say. There is a Lee Valley on Marine and another in Coquitlam.

You may find the Swoe or Loop hoe more effective.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...&cat=2&p=44823
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:41 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Take your pick (or hoe) as they say. There is a Lee Valley on Marine and another in Coquitlam.

You may find the Swoe or Loop hoe more effective.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...&cat=2&p=44823
oooh thanks . . .was begining to think I may need to go to B & Q when I am in UK in a few weeks and bring one back with me!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:49 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle with the names of certain cuts of meat. I have a great slow cooker recipe which calls for 'corned silverside'. I had no problems getting this cut of meat in England or in NZ when we were there but I just cannot get that cut of meat here?
If anyone has seen it, please let me know
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:49 am

oooh thanks . . .was begining to think I may need to go to B & Q when I am in UK in a few weeks and bring one back with me!!
You'd have to get a fold up one so it would go in your checked bags
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:00 am
half a century

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You'd have to get a fold up one so it would go in your checked bags
Thought I would just bring the head and attach to pole here@!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

my father is not happy!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:48 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Tylenol is Acetaminophen which I believe is Paracetamol in the UK

Advil is Ibuprofen available in the UK as Anadin Ibuprofen.

Does that help?
To clarify.

The words acetaminophen and paracetamol both come from chemical names for the compound: para-acetylaminophenol and para-acetylaminophenol.

Same thing; just a different way of describing it in the UK and North America. Tylenol is a brand name but so well recognised that it has become the normal way to describe the medication. A bit like Hoover.

Ibuprofen is the generic name for a medication known variously as Neurofen, Advil, Motrin etc.

I don't buy branded pain killers. I buy generic Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen. They are much cheaper and do the same job. The brands are merely trying to extend product life cycle by tarting-up the pills. Gelcaps? Why bother?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:51 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
To clarify.

The words acetaminophen and paracetamol both come from chemical names for the compound: para-acetylaminophenol and para-acetylaminophenol.

Same thing; just a different way of describing it in the UK and North America. Tylenol is a brand name but so well recognised that it has become the normal way to describe the medication. A bit like Hoover.

Ibuprofen is the generic name for a medication known variously as Neurofen, Advil, Motrin etc.

I don't buy branded pain killers. I buy generic Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen. They are much cheaper and do the same job. The brands are merely trying to extend product life cycle by tarting-up the pills. Gelcaps? Why bother?
Actually, I don't agree - horses for courses I guess but I swear by Advil and have tried the generics on a few things including advil and generally, for me, the generics don't work as well.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Actually, I don't agree - horses for courses I guess but I swear by Advil and have tried the generics on a few things including advil and generally, for me, the generics don't work as well.
How can they not work as well? It's the same stuff, in the same dose.

Advertising works, clearly.

There are many examples of this. A certain tobacco company markets several brands that are exactly the same, apart from the packaging and price. Cat litter and industrial adsorbents are also made from the same stuff and do the same job. The only difference is that you can charge more for cat litter. Dishwasher salt is sold in small packs and at a premium. It's the same salt you'd buy for a water softener, in bigger bags and at much lower unit cost.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Placebos are well known to work in many cases, so the psychological effect of name brands probably should not be underestimated for some people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.