Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:36 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by dollface
Aren't they they the same as mange tout? so they'd still be snow peas.
sugar snaps??
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:37 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
sugar snaps??
I was gonna say that, but wasn't sure.....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:10 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna say that, but wasn't sure.....

mmmm always made me wonder why they are called that
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:25 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

no idea why sugar snap are called well ........sugar snap.
I think the difference between Snow Peas/Mange Tout and Sugar Snap Peas are that mange tout or snow peas are flat and sugar snap peas have a rounded pod. Not that you asked that anyway

What a conversation for a Friday night! although not quite evening with you.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

no idea why sugar snap are called well ........sugar snap.
I think the difference between Snow Peas/Mange Tout and Sugar Snap Peas are that mange tout or snow peas are flat and sugar snap peas have a rounded pod. Not that you asked that anyway

What a conversation for a Friday night! although not quite evening with you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_pea
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:02 am
Just Joined

wapentake is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Canadian equivalent of Germolene?

You need slatherings of Polysporin for the same effect! I've taken to importing every summer.

Also, I finally decided after nine years of fruitless albeit sporadic searching I wasn't going to find a decent sweeping brush head in Ontario. Not quite sure how my life descended into such a pit of despair, but this summer I gave in and purchased a selection of superb bristly broomheads back in sunny Yorkshire. Made it through Pearson customs relatively unscathed.

"Anything to declare, sir?"

"Just a few decent brush heads and a tub of Germolene."

"Good call, buddy. Just breeze on thru. Welcome back to Canada."
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:12 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wapentake
Any Canadian equivalent of Germolene?

You need slatherings of Polysporin for the same effect! I've taken to importing every summer.

Also, I finally decided after nine years of fruitless albeit sporadic searching I wasn't going to find a decent sweeping brush head in Ontario. Not quite sure how my life descended into such a pit of despair, but this summer I gave in and purchased a selection of superb bristly broomheads back in sunny Yorkshire. Made it through Pearson customs relatively unscathed.

"Anything to declare, sir?"

"Just a few decent brush heads and a tub of Germolene."

"Good call, buddy. Just breeze on thru. Welcome back to Canada."
I suppose it beats taking teabags in your luggage
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:04 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mumof2
OLBAS OIL - I was trying to find something like this earlier this week if someone finds something please post !
Me and afew others get it brought in for us, i currently have a drawer full of the stuff as i have just been to the uk twice, so each time i stocked up on the stuff as winter is coming

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive seen 6 packs of penguins and clubs in the Bulk Barn if you really need to scratch that itch.
they do penguins in our local real canadian as well as normal and choc hobnobs

Originally Posted by iaink
Could try Fruit punches (frozen concentrate), or Cool Aid, Crystal lite etc (powder), where you control how much sugar goes in....
Originally Posted by Strawberry
Cool Aid?????? what on earth is that??????? - powder????????sweetener????? so do all Canadian kids (and adults) drink only sugary juices and cordials - tut tut think of the teeth???? never mind the diabetics!!!!! how strange? - unless this really is a european thing?? I am really surprised.

Mel
Hi Mel
when i visited the diabetic nurse here she advised that even the sugar free juice in the uk is not all that sugar free, although you can buy the cans that are in the freezer that state they are sugar free, they still have quiet high amounts, we actually got my son on iced tea, it took awhile, plus we used the diet lemonade as a treat, they do sell ribena in our local shops but the kids actually prefer the canadian stuff now, also worth mixing fruit with low fat/sugar ice-cream, my kids love that, i have a hyperglsemic son, so i know where you are coming from, need any help feel free to PM me

sugar snaps??
To us these are garden peas
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

When the BF got here we tried some of the "Canadian" versions of the foods he was used to back home....bad idea. He kept telling me they tasted "different". So we found a local shop that imports the UK stuff and to prove him wrong I figured I'd try the cdn and the uk versions ....dammit if he wasn't right! Canned spaghetti - doesn't taste the same. Ribena - ditto. Tomato soup - again, same thing. You get the idea. Now, SOME of the ones in the Canadian stores are close enough not to matter, but we quickly learned the difference between "product of the uk" and "made in the uk". Hell, even the same brand chocolate tastes different!

Honestly, I still think it has a lot to do with the water......

Now, we buy the 'important' stuff (like Ribena) at the British shop that imports it and make do with Canadian versions of the not-so-important stuff.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Crisps - Chips
Flats - Apartments or Condos
Mobile Phone - Cell Phone
Wooly Hat - Tuque (pronounced took)
Pancakes - Crepes
Muffins - English Muffins
Video - VCR
Rubber Johnnys - Rubbers
Books - Television
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Oink
Crisps - Chips
Flats - Apartments or Condos
Mobile Phone - Cell Phone
Wooly Hat - Tuque (pronounced took)
Pancakes - Crepes
Muffins - English Muffins
Video - VCR
Rubber Johnnys - Rubbers
Books - Television
These are 2 different things in either UK or North America. The last 2 are just crap!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:41 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

These are some I don't use

pants - trousers
panties - pants/knickers
pantyhose - tights
vest - tank top/waistcoat/body warmer

purse - handbag
wallet - purse

My son Arran has to be pronouced Erin for anyone to know who I am speaking about. He is also known as 'Scotland' but you would never guess because there is no trace of his old accent whatsoever
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony the pilot
How's that new aircraft of yours? Hope you've not bent it yet!
Not bent it, I have never willingly left an aircraft while it was still moving, unwillingly (and quickly) once, but that's a whole other story.

Went down to pick it up and a guy made me an offer I could not refuse before I had even left the field. Capitalism at its best
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:35 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Jumper = pinafore dress (have a look here). Wife gave me a very odd look when I said I was going to put a jumper on

Gutter = Eavestrough

Cilantro = Corriander

Rubbish = Trash/Garbage

Sidewalk = Pavement

Road Surface = Pavement
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:36 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Baseboard - skirting board
Drywall - plasterboard
Band Aid - plaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.