Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:42 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by The Aviator
My suggestion, suck it up, you live in Canada Now!
Very good advice.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:46 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Cool Aid?????? what on earth is that??????? - powder????????sweetener????? so do all Canadian kids (and adults) drink only sugary juices and cordials - tut tut think of the teeth???? never mind the diabetics!!!!! how strange? - unless this really is a european thing?? I am really surprised.

Mel
My children have never had any of the above and they are 81/2 and 7.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:47 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're missing the point MMC was making.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree.

I think the OP is only trying to help others find what the Canadian equivalent is for various products. Not reproduce British products here.

She is acknowledging things here are basically the same but have different names. Is that so wrong.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I disagree.

I think the OP is only trying to help others find what the Canadian equivalent is for various products. Not reproduce British products here.

She is acknowledging things here are basically the same but have different names. Is that so wrong.
What I think a lot of Canadians get ticked off with is immigrants coming here and wanting all the stuff they had 'back home' and not accepting we do it differently and have different things. The 'what no orange squash' syndrome.

You are quite right, there is a difference and finding a suitable alternative can be quite helpful. I stand corrected.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cool Aid?????? what on earth is that??????? - powder????????sweetener????? so do all Canadian kids (and adults) drink only sugary juices and cordials - tut tut think of the teeth???? never mind the diabetics!!!!! how strange? - unless this really is a european thing?? I am really surprised.

Mel
Google is your friend. It comes as a powder in a sachet, you mix it with water and the sweetener of your choice and keep it in the fridge (all these jugs of stuff is why fridges here are large)

No, not all candians drink only sugary stuff

I dont see why kool aid would be considered any worse than squash, Its not like either have any meaningfull contact with real fruit along the way.

As I said, the advantage of kool aid to a parent is that the parent is totally in control of how much sugar or sweetener to put in when they mix it up. A welcome side effect I suppose is that its much better for the environment to not be shipping the weight of all that water around the country.

For the most part my kids drink watered down fruit juice though, and we are grateful that they are not diabetic.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Google is your friend. It comes as a powder in a sachet, you mix it with water and the sweetener of your choice and keep it in the fridge (all these jugs of stuff is why fridges here are large)

No, not all candians drink only sugary stuff

I dont see why kool aid would be considered any worse than squash, Its not like either have any meaningfull contact with real fruit along the way.

As I said, the advantage of kool aid to a parent is that the parent is totally in control of how much sugar or sweetener to put in when they mix it up. A welcome side effect I suppose is that its much better for the environment to not be shipping the weight of all that water around the country.

For the most part my kids drink watered down fruit juice though, and we are grateful that they are not diabetic.
I was only joking.,,,,, I suppose like other stuff, its just something you have to get used to...

Mel.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:05 pm

I was only joking.,,,,, I suppose like other stuff, its just something you have to get used to...

Mel.
Don't have to get used to it. Just don't feed that junk to yourself or your kids
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Don't have to get used to it. Just don't feed that junk to yourself or your kids
I dont see that its significantly worse than squash with only a few % fruit juice and a bunch of colours preservatives and sweeteners...

I wouldnt encourage my kids to drink large amounts of either of them, or sunny D, god knows what parents are thinking giving that chemical concoction to their kids, and the marketing of it as a healthy juice type thing is utterly shameless. (Note that in the UK it now contains 70% juice...here its ~2%! )

Last edited by iaink; Oct 2nd 2009 at 4:14 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont see that its significantly worse than squash with only a few % fruit juice and a bunch of colours preservatives and sweeteners...

I wouldnt encourage my kids to drink large amounts of either of them, or sunny D, god knows what parents are thinking giving that chemical concoction to their kids, and the marketing of it as a healthy juice type thing is utterly shameless.
My kids only drink 100%, preservative, sugar (other than the natural type) and additive free fruit pure juices, water, yoghurt drinks and milk. All organic where possible.

I know i'll be slated on here but whilst I can control the type of food and drinks my kids have, then I will. Hopefully doing so will enable them in the future to make the right choices from a nutritious point of view.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:53 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot think of anything I really miss, occasionally get a hankering for a sausage sandwich.

I think the only thing the children miss is the orange squash.....
This is because they are so picky.

The only things they drink regularly in Canada is milk or water, they are allowed pop on a weekend (moderated). They have not discovered Tang or Kool Aid, which is fine by me.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2
OLBAS OIL - I was trying to find something like this earlier this week if someone finds something please post !
I get eucalyptus oil at health food shops.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I disagree.

This is exactly the point. I remember going to a superstore for the first time and not recognising anything. I don't want anything British and having been here 2 years am pretty settled in what i'm buying.

Just trying to help out with what some of the things are called here that you will need to buy at some stage. Like I said in op - the Neocitrin.

If i'd have needed that when I first came I would've likely gone into a drug store and said "have you got any cold and flu remedies that you can put into hot water and drink"

The assistant would no doubt have guided me the right way but as an adult you feel a bit of a melon asking for what Canadians know to be the obvious. So its only really to cut out the embarrassment that we have all felt at some stage.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Would you say that to Indian or Chinese immigrants?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Very good advice.
Yet you post on a British expat website, interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.