Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's vacation politics

Canada's vacation politics

Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's vacation politics

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
I have to say Canada is ahead in terms of the quality of buildings and infrastructure than the UK.
Wow. I think of Canadian houses as being temporary structures, like those in shanty towns. I certainly wouldn't say that the tract houses in areas like Mississauga (NotQEW) are constructed to anything like the quality of 1930s, or even 1950s, council houses.

Which building, if any, in Etobicoke would you would say is well designed and built to a high standard?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:43 am
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
Only 1 year. Yes I'm going back to live with my parents. I was living with them before I came to Canada. I feel the longer I stay the harder it would be to go back though. We are in the process of selling everything for the move.

Well least you gave it a go, and decided its not for you. Thanks for the info you have supplied.

This is my biggest issue without a doubt.

I read an article the other day about Canada being the 4th worst country for family/work life balance.

Sure there is loads of articles for positives and negatives, but for me the move is to live somewhere different, explore the new land and travel places I haven't been in Canada, USA and South america, but without the annual leave and the high travel costs, I am going to struggle I think.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h35j34
Sure there is loads of articles for positives and negatives, but for me the move is to live somewhere different, explore the new land and travel places I haven't been in Canada, USA and South america, but without the annual leave and the high travel costs, I am going to struggle I think.
If you move to, say, Toronto, you'll see Toronto. It's different than wherever you are now and, I would say, has a fortnight's worth of interesting things to see. The same would be true for other cities in Canada except that the fortnight would be a couple of months for Montreal or Quebec City due to having to come up to speed with the language, a couple of days for Vancouver and five minutes or less for most of the others.

What doesn't make sense to me is to move to Toronto and then go and visit Vancouver, or Victoria or any other Canadian city except the francophone ones and perhaps Halifax or St John's. The rest are just not very different, so it'd be like traveling from Reading to see Basildon except fantastically expensive for the fare and in terms of limited vacation days used up.

America has loads of different places to visit but it's expensive to fly there from Canada so, if exploring is the aim, I'd choose to live in Canada as close as possible to a US airport so as to be able to take a bus to it and fly from there. In this context living in Hamilton or Windsor suddenly makes sense. As far as South America goes, it's probable more practical to explore there while living in England; cheaper flights, more holidays.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wow. I think of Canadian houses as being temporary structures, like those in shanty towns. I certainly wouldn't say that the tract houses in areas like Mississauga (NotQEW) are constructed to anything like the quality of 1930s, or even 1950s, council houses.

Which building, if any, in Etobicoke would you would say is well designed and built to a high standard?
I have to say I agree with him from the point of view that my house in NS, whilst being a timber framed, covered in vinyl siding type, is so much warmer and easier to heat and keep cool than my house in England was. That was a Victorian semi that was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing (cant get enough emphasis on that) in the winter and damp, ugh. And it had heating and new windows, it was just cold.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have to say I agree with him from the point of view that my house in NS, whilst being a timber framed, covered in vinyl siding type, is so much warmer and easier to heat and keep cool than my house in England was. That was a Victorian semi that was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing (cant get enough emphasis on that) in the winter and damp, ugh. And it had heating and new windows, it was just cold.
But the Victorian semi had stood for a century and is likely still there now. Even if you patch up the NS house every ten years or so when the shingles crack and blow off it's only good for fifty years or so. It seems to me that, when comparing houses that last for hundreds of years with those that last less than a lifetime, it's perverse to claim better quality for the throwaway ones.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

But the Victorian semi had stood for a century and is likely still there now. Even if you patch up the NS house every ten years or so when the shingles crack and blow off it's only good for fifty years or so. It seems to me that, when comparing houses that last for hundreds of years with those that last less than a lifetime, it's perverse to claim better quality for the throwaway ones.
Hmm..I have a 120 year old house in Yarmouth NS and my guessing is it will still be standing after I'm gone...
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:55 pm
Banned

If you move to, say, Toronto, you'll see Toronto. It's different than wherever you are now and, I would say, has a fortnight's worth of interesting things to see. The same would be true for other cities in Canada except that the fortnight would be a couple of months for Montreal or Quebec City due to having to come up to speed with the language, a couple of days for Vancouver and five minutes or less for most of the others.

What doesn't make sense to me is to move to Toronto and then go and visit Vancouver, or Victoria or any other Canadian city except the francophone ones and perhaps Halifax or St John's. The rest are just not very different, so it'd be like traveling from Reading to see Basildon except fantastically expensive for the fare and in terms of limited vacation days used up.

America has loads of different places to visit but it's expensive to fly there from Canada so, if exploring is the aim, I'd choose to live in Canada as close as possible to a US airport so as to be able to take a bus to it and fly from there. In this context living in Hamilton or Windsor suddenly makes sense. As far as South America goes, it's probable more practical to explore there while living in England; cheaper flights, more holidays.
Hey

I do agree that moving to one city and then traveling to other cities there isn't much point as they are pretty much the same. However arriving new to Canada I'd like to visit few other places, but I guess this could be included in a trip before settling down for work etc.

The big thing for me is travelling back out of Canada, holidays home, to the USA, agree living close to a US airport is an advantage, but then without the leave its hard to even have a decent time away.

If you have to add a bit of driving in then that eats up more leave than flying and again comes back to the lack of leave.

I was surprised that a holiday to Mexico was cheaper from the UK than from Canada (Toronto) for a couple weeks.

I really like the look and idea of Canada but the leave is not going to allow me to do the holidaying I want while over than side of the world.

There is a lot of places I want to see in the US, and actually making more sense to do it from the UK with the annual leave I have

Last edited by h35j34; Sep 14th 2017 at 2:58 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

I do agree that moving to one city and then traveling to other cities there isn't much point as they are pretty much the same. However arriving new to Canada I'd like to visit few other places, but I guess this could be included in a trip before settling down for work etc.

The big thing for me is travelling back out of Canada, holidays home, to the USA, agree living close to a US airport is an advantage, but then without the leave its hard to even have a decent time away.

If you have to add a bit of driving in then that eats up more leave than flying and again comes back to the lack of leave.

I was surprised that a holiday to Mexico was cheaper from the UK than from Canada (Toronto) for a couple weeks.

I really like the look and idea of Canada but the leave is not going to allow me to do the holidaying I want while over than side of the world.

There is a lot of places I want to see in the US, and actually making more sense to do it from the UK with the annual leave I have
Any chance of being self employed / doing contract work?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Any chance of being self employed / doing contract work?

Self employed no, contract possible but unlikely
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

This reminds me that, while living in Toronto, the only people I knew who routinely skied in Banff flew there from Oslo. The locals settled for Tremblant as it's cheaper.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Self employed no, contract possible but unlikely
IME contractors are less likely to be able to take time off than employees. One of the major reasons for using contractors is that they don't get sick or take holidays.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We are in trouble then because its already 30 years old.....
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

We are in trouble then because its already 30 years old.....
Not really, it'll last longer than a car and that's the builder's objective.

Is it on a bus route? Are there regular trains from a station within walking distance? Can you get kebabs delivered?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:46 pm
Happy

Not really, it'll last longer than a car and that's the builder's objective.

Is it on a bus route? Are there regular trains from a station within walking distance? Can you get kebabs delivered?
No, no and yes :-)
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, no and yes :-)
As long as there are kebabs, the infrastructure is the equal of that in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.