Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's vacation politics

Canada's vacation politics

Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's vacation politics

Originally Posted by Reeders
Yes that's true Jsmth321 but it doesn't change what generally comes to mind when someone says, 'franchise business' does it?
The only person I know here in Canada in the franchise world owns 4 franchises of a personal beauty products business (mainly for females) and he seems to be doing rather well in life. MBA educated and good at sales and entrepreneurship. He has been at it for 12 years but dealing with the sales staff and their dramas drives him up the wall.
Oh, please stop feeding the Reeders troll. Treat him like toothache....ignore him and he'll go away.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:08 pm
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

A while since anyone posted on this thread, this is something I am currently thinking about as the reduced annual leave could cause an issue for me.

What is the view on unpaid leave?

I was hoping that if I was to get offered the standard 10 days would I be able to negotiate a further 10 days unpaid.

Appreciate this will really fall down to the employee, job level, how much they actually want you on board.

I'm more just wondering what the likely hood of this is actually being a valid option.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would depend on your employer.

At some it may not be an issue and others it's difficult to even get the mandatory days your allowed let alone above that.

It will boil down to your specific employer for the most part.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:58 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Would depend on your employer.

At some it may not be an issue and others it's difficult to even get the mandatory days your allowed let alone above that.

It will boil down to your specific employer for the most part.
Yup, and the type of work you are involved with. I take off as many days as I like in the winter, and also cram a week or so in summer. Next year will start with all of February off, then we see how I feel after that, maybe a week in July around Canadian super bike week and probably another week in December.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:55 pm
Banned

It is an issue that is making me reconsider my options, I feel like it's not fully enough to say well if I might only get 10 days then that's it I'm not going to even give it a go.

However annual leave is something I consider very important to me and couldn't imagine anything less then 4 weeks, i honestly believe that if I make the move and if after a couple of years i was only on 10-15 days with this not looking to improve anytime soon I would return to the uk.

Suppose that's just the risk for me to decide on
Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h35j34
Suppose that's just the risk for me to decide on
It warrants a frank discussion with any prospective employer before taking a job; not fair to waste your time or theirs. After asking what their vacation policies are, if finding them unsatisfactory it's up to you to say what you need, how you'd like to see vacation days increase with time, and allow them to respond. If they have 10 employees getting 2 or 3 weeks after years of service they aren't likely to give you 4 as soon as you're eligible for holiday pay. Once you decide what your limits are all you can do is ask. Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Yep ................. good luck!!

it sounds from all I have read that most employers are not really open to allowing longer vacation time for some employees. Plus, you might be up against a union contract.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:22 am
Banned

I do get the impression from what I have researched is that you are in the lucky camp if you do get 3-4 weeks to start with.

I had read that 3 weeks was start to pick up and more companies offering this but I guess its all down to you and the company to negotiate that from the start.

I was hoping that 2 weeks unpaid may be a valid option but the more I read on holiday leave the more I doubt it, but again it comes down to the employer and employee being able to discuss it.

I can see this being a big problem for me as carzy as it might sound to some, but just don't want to put all the money into the move to have to return in a couple years, but as the saying goes, you'll never know unless you go!!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

So much depends not only on the employer but his or her situation, ie; staffing levels and the nature of the job itself so that each case could be different. Some may have no problem with additional time off, and some may not be able to cover for an absent employee.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:11 pm
Banned

I would defiantly have to negotiate a min 3 weeks to start with and be at least 4 weeks after 2 years, whether that be all paid or 1-2 weeks unpaid.

I could not see the overall benefit of not having the annual leave, to enjoy what I have moved for.

Coming from my current leave of 35 days all in plus flexibility to work from home, and attend appointments , emergency leave days, etc the balance for me is good in the UK.

It is what it is in canada and people obviously get on fine, but its a little behind the times, in my own personal view
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I get 6 weeks but I've been there the longest. I don't even know what the others get, never asked. I know they get holidays.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Due to the vacation and lack of employee rights and consumer rights, and the expensive travel. This has been key in our decision that we made last month to move back to the UK and it's without regret. We are moving back in November.

Travelling was always part of our life in the UK and it's so cheap to travel virtually anywhere in the world from the UK. It's expensive to do a Canada to Canada flight let alone anywhere else.

The consumer laws suck here, there is literally no protection when buying used vehicles, not much credit card protection on purchases when things go wrong. Employee rights also suck bereavement leave is terrible, minimum wage is low, vacation is awful, alot of jobs don't offer pensions.

I have to say Canada is ahead in terms of the quality of buildings and infrastructure than the UK. But that's simply because it's a newer country. Everything else is just far behind including climate change policies and food standards. It's not just vacation Canada is behind in alot of areas.

Can't wait to get back to England to be honest, we loved our time in Canada but it's not for us.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
Due to the vacation and lack of employee rights and consumer rights, and the expensive travel. This has been key in our decision that we made last month to move back to the UK and it's without regret. We are moving back in November.

Travelling was always part of our life in the UK and it's so cheap to travel virtually anywhere in the world from the UK. It's expensive to do a Canada to Canada flight let alone anywhere else.

The consumer laws suck here, there is literally no protection when buying used vehicles, not much credit card protection on purchases when things go wrong. Employee rights also suck bereavement leave is terrible, minimum wage is low, vacation is awful, alot of jobs don't offer pensions.

I have to say Canada is ahead in terms of the quality of buildings and infrastructure than the UK. But that's simply because it's a newer country. Everything else is just far behind including climate change policies and food standards. It's not just vacation Canada is behind in alot of areas.

Can't wait to get back to England to be honest, we loved our time in Canada but it's not for us.
How long have you been here? Do you think it will be easy to settle back in the U.K.?
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
How long have you been here? Do you think it will be easy to settle back in the U.K.?
Only 1 year. Yes I'm going back to live with my parents. I was living with them before I came to Canada. I feel the longer I stay the harder it would be to go back though. We are in the process of selling everything for the move.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
Only 1 year. Yes I'm going back to live with my parents. I was living with them before I came to Canada. I feel the longer I stay the harder it would be to go back though. We are in the process of selling everything for the move.
Fair enough. It's not for everybody. Hope you settle back in well. 👍😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.