Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's vacation politics

Canada's vacation politics

Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canada's vacation politics

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Canada has been my home for nearly 16 years.. I am well integrated, thank you.

Even born and bred Canadians I know tell me that nepotism is rife... I think, perhaps, you have been very forotunate not to come across it.
I am sure a few posters remember these years, I moved to Ontario in 1987 and left in 2010. Up until 1992/93, the Ontario economy was booming and supporting the whole country. Jobs were plentiful and salaries were good. I never heard the term 'Canadian experience' and such, employers were happy just to get good people. Most newcomers would get a job immediately on arrival. These were very good days. Most of the people who had come out just after the war had done even better. After 1992/93 recession, the Ontario economy never seemed to recover to what is was. I can only conclude that since then, the state of the job market has allowed employers in many cases to be more selective.

I came to Canada via South Africa and it took just over one month to get my PR. Those days have changed.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
If banks are denying loans because of big problems with a client's past borrowing - that again is not society denying someone an opportunity, but someone making life choices in the past that ended up closing future doors.
That's absolute nonsense in the vast majority of cases. I volunteer for our local food bank (or used to, we are moving province next week) and it is terrifying just how close the vast majority of people are to needing to rely on food banks.

One very small thing can go wrong in life which can lead to a chain reaction and end with your life crumbling around you.

Very often people have things so wrong in life and surviving, and having enough to eat becomes more of a priority than keeping up with payments.
Their credit score thentakes a bashing which then affects their ability to access funding to try and drag themselves back out of the hole again when things have become a bit less rocky.

Its called the poverty trap for a reason, saying its self induced is laughably naïve.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reeders
I wrote I am not in favour of a level playing field, you are correct about that. I do not want everyone to have as much ability or be able to perform as well as I can.

When I was one of 126 salespeople in a company and an opening came up for a Branch Manager's position, all 126 were free to throw their hat in the ring. But what do you think actually happened?...

Only ONE could make the cut obviously. That ONE had to be superior in some way. I was that one and later I was the one that became the National Sales Manager.

This is like a villain story from a bad superhero film...
Only one could make the cut... he was superior in some way... that man was me, because I am superior to you all and my god I won't let you forget it.
Join us next time for National Sales Manager man where I'll write a whole paragraph full of anecdotes and flex my superiority complex. I'm sat on the edge of my seat waiting for 'this one time... at band camp'

Well Novocastrian, the proof is in the pudding as they say. So other than calling me a prat and stupid, do you care to put up your accomplishments against mine to show the readers how you know better than I do what matters?

I came to Canada as an immigrant and retired in my early 40s. How are you doing Novocastrian?

Do you think this is a forum about emigration or some kind of celebrity death match career man edition where you come on and tell everyone about your achievements and then challenge random people to defeat you career prowess. Are you real? Is this a joke?... Come on guys, who made another account and wrote all this for a laugh. This can't be real, it's too ridiculous. Who actually writes about their superiority?

Can anyone tell me if there an ignore function in this forum?

I think half the forum are looking for the ignore button but it isn't for Novocastrian... but I can't bring myself to press it incase I miss the next comedy gold line. Carry on mate, tell me more about how good you are. What car do you drive? I bet you can shoot an arrow from a moving horse and hit a bullseye? I bet you can karate chop an apple in half? Do you have a super power? I need to know more about you, I'm so impressed it hurts.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33 - it is not reasonable to claim everything should be free or there's no "equal opportunity." The fees being charged by Canadian universities are not disproportionate. If you were talking about an American university charging $25,000 a year - that is a very different conversation.
Everyone in Canada has the equal opportunity to education just as everyone in Canada has the equal opportunity to own and operate a private helicopter.
There's no law stopping anyone from doing so but only some can take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm not saying that equal opportunity in education is achievable, arguably it's not even a good idea, but Canada doesn't have it. The fees cited, presumably for General Studies at Trent, may look affordable, if you don't have to pay them, but what it the prospective student, has good hands and a brilliant mind and could be a surgeon? Then money matters, just building a resume of impressive extra-curricular activities is beyond the reach of the working poor, even if they never take a holiday.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
What car do you drive?
Cadillac. While wearing expensive knitwear.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

This is like a villain story from a bad superhero film...
Only one could make the cut... he was superior in some way... that man was me, because I am superior to you all and my god I won't let you forget it.
Join us next time for National Sales Manager man where I'll write a whole paragraph full of anecdotes and flex my superiority complex. I'm sat on the edge of my seat waiting for 'this one time... at band camp'

Dramatic music, camera pans from the sun going down over the Calgary oil fields to a man stood looking towards the horizon, his Armarni suit unwrinkled despite the heat of the day, his steely focus ignoring the mozzies hungrily tearing at his flesh.

He turns to look at his Bugatti Veyron (custom painted, natch) disinterested but the quick desperate scan of onlookers betraying his cool. The man steps forwards and throws a briefcase off the ridge down into the ravine, he won't be needing it anymore. Not waiting to watch it fall he turns and strides back to his Bugatti, and drives off into the sunset, promptly to get nabbed by the rozzers for littering and speeding.

He is National Sales Manager Man and he has retired in his forties.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cadillac. While wearing expensive knitwear.
Nah, must be a minivan so that he can fit all of his Avon orders in to deliver. Though he's retired now so perhaps he's ditched the minivan.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses

Dramatic music, camera pans from the sun going down over the Calgary oil fields to a man stood looking towards the horizon, his Armarni suit unwrinkled despite the heat of the day, his steely focus ignoring the mozzies hungrily tearing at his flesh.

He turns to look at his Bugatti Veyron (custom painted, natch) disinterested but the quick desperate scan of onlookers betraying his cool. The man steps forwards and throws a briefcase off the ridge down into the ravine, he won't be needing it anymore. Not waiting to watch it fall he turns and strides back to his Bugatti, and drives off into the sunset, promptly to get nabbed by the rozzers for littering and speeding.

He is National Sales Manager Man and he has retired in his forties.

I don't even know what to write to this post. It's just amazing. It's probably the best post on BE. It made me laugh too much, the word 'natch' has never made me laugh so much but then getting nicked for littering and speeding.

Hats off, this is a classic!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't even know what to write to this post. It's just amazing. It's probably the best post on BE. It made me laugh too much, the word 'natch' has never made me laugh so much but then getting nicked for littering and speeding.

Hats off, this is a classic!
Why thank you
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Nah, must be a minivan so that he can fit all of his Avon orders in to deliver. Though he's retired now so perhaps he's ditched the minivan.
But I believe he's made lots of money, been a National Sales Manager, has boys in banking. I'd expect an expensive, but crass, vehicle, something old school with room for golf clubs. If not a Caddy station wagon then some sort of Mercedes.

He's not alone, of course. Did I tell you that I arrived in the clothes in which I stood and now own two tractors (well, one's financed but it's at 0%) and a selection of garden implements? Entirely due to my bulging acumens.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

But I believe he's made lots of money, been a National Sales Manager, has boys in banking. I'd expect an expensive, but crass, vehicle, something old school with room for golf clubs. If not a Caddy station wagon then some sort of Mercedes.

He's not alone, of course. Did I tell you that I arrived in the clothes in which I stood and now own two tractors (well, one's financed but it's at 0%) and a selection of garden implements? Entirely due to my bulging acumens.
Or a Range Rover with all of the trim sprayed metallic gold instead of chrome?

Ha, well if we're going in for superiority top trumps I see you your two tractors, (which I am very envious of) and your garden tools and raise you... an ATV for our toddler plus a pedal bike for me to try and keep up with him. Livin' the dream here.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Or a Range Rover with all of the trim sprayed metallic gold instead of chrome?

Ha, well if we're going in for superiority top trumps I see you your two tractors, (which I am very envious of) and your garden tools and raise you... an ATV for our toddler plus a pedal bike for me to try and keep up with him. Livin' the dream here.
Hard to compete with that but I too have a pedal bike! It was donated to me by an Italian with whom a daughter emigrated from Toronto to Tower Hamlets. "Is flat, the tyre" he said, as if selling pesto. Is still flat, the tyre, but it looks a stylish machine, it could have been expensive.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

That's absolute nonsense in the vast majority of cases. I volunteer for our local food bank (or used to, we are moving province next week) and it is terrifying just how close the vast majority of people are to needing to rely on food banks.

One very small thing can go wrong in life which can lead to a chain reaction and end with your life crumbling around you.

Very often people have things so wrong in life and surviving, and having enough to eat becomes more of a priority than keeping up with payments.
Their credit score thentakes a bashing which then affects their ability to access funding to try and drag themselves back out of the hole again when things have become a bit less rocky.

Its called the poverty trap for a reason, saying its self induced is laughably naïve.

I did not say the poverty trap was self-induced. You ignored my earlier posts and then took the highlighted one out of context. Please, in the future, read the entire thread before posting.

That includes posts from the moderator warning to return to topic.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

. . . and you and Js have no clue about mine (or thousands of others). I do agree it's best to just leave this one.
Well that would be why I haven't commented on your situation wouldn't it?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Fred drifting (which is a merciful thing given the direction this has gone IMHO)... The Kubota BX25 has the most bloody annoying, difficult and unwieldy method of rotating the seat so one can operate the backhoe rather than the loader bit, that I've ever come across. Awkward, finger trapping, back wrenching stuff. IIRC Mahindra's are a lot easier in this regard.

Of course the fact that I have a big enough yard to warrant the hire of said tractor, is entirely due to my alpha-male-top-dog-take-no-prisoners approach to business that has seen my rise to the heady middle heights of my profession. Sadly unlike Howard-Reeder, rather than retiring at forty I chose to have kids at 40 which puts retirement somewhere out in the dim and distant future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.