Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

And Canada's most boring city is...Ottawa! Followed by Abbotsford

And Canada's most boring city is...Ottawa! Followed by Abbotsford

Old May 28th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And Canada's most boring city is...Ottawa! Followed by Abbotsford

Originally Posted by Souvy
To answer your other post.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03...n_1370553.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=2326714

Ha hahahaha you're so easy to wind up and start throwing your toys out the pram, I counted the amount of seconds it would take for you to drag yourself away from your clearly, very important, very busy daytime job to reply! Admit it mate, you've been in Quebec too long, you're sounding like one of em! :frothing at the mouth yet?
Old May 28th 2013, 4:54 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mardyarse
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03...n_1370553.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=2326714

Ha hahahaha you're so easy to wind up and start throwing your toys out the pram, I counted the amount of seconds it would take for you to drag yourself away from your clearly, very important, very busy daytime job to reply! Admit it mate, you've been in Quebec too long, you're sounding like one of em! :frothing at the mouth yet?
I made $62k for my company before 7am this morning. I've taken the rest of the day off. I can do this. It's one of the perks of being a company director.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Did I once run over your cat or summat? I have noticed for some years that you will attack anything I say, about anything. It's water off a duck's back to me but I suggest that you stay south of the river.

You don't seem to like Canada much. Why are you still here?

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 28th 2013 at 5:20 pm. Reason: Name calling removed
Old May 28th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Did I once run over your cat or summat? I have noticed for some years that you will attack anything I say, about anything. It's water off a duck's back to me but I suggest that you stay south of the river.

Is that a threat?
Old May 28th 2013, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Is that a threat?
Of course it's not. If you have an issue with Souvy, then use the ignore function - that's what it's there for.

Any other squabbling, take it to PM pls.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:24 pm
Slob

Is that a threat?
More a bit of friendly advice. Your attitude towards Quebec seems to be a text-book explanation of what makes Quebeckers traditionally dislike Brits.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:40 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Of course it's not. If you have an issue with Souvy, then use the ignore function - that's what it's there for.

Any other squabbling, take it to PM pls.
Spoilsport.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Jarvis.Wall is an unknown quantity at this point

Mardyarse is spot on - Ottawa is the most depressing place I've ever been, and I've had to live here a while. Also I've met too many impressively vapid people here for it to be a coincidence.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarvis.Wall
Mardyarse is spot on - Ottawa is the most depressing place I've ever been, and I've had to live here a while.
You need to get out more. Ever been to Sunderland, Middlesborough, Bradford or Hull?
Old May 28th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

<snip>

Isn't that classic "Daily Mail Reader" talk? I've always maintained Ottawa and Canada is a fabulous place to live, doesn't mean to say I have to leave the Country because I agree that the people here, I FIND boring!

It was you that felt impelled to quote and challenge me?

Moderator: duly noted and shuffling off now.....
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: And Canada's most boring city is...Ottawa! Followed by Abbotsford

QUOTE=dbd33;10728477]Birmingham is a shitty place, no question, but boring compared to Ottawa? Surely not. The whole merit of Canada is that it's boring and the capital is boredom central. I expect that's wonderful if you come from somewhere lacking boredom, Somalia or Syria, for example.[/QUOTE]

Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:39 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with people thinking Ottawa is incredibly boring, although I don't really understand it to be honest. Keeps the cost of living down.

I wonder what it is that people think makes a city exciting compared with not? True, I wouldn't go out partying every night here, but I'm not in my twenties anymore and have a young kid, so I wouldn't be doing that in New York, London or Montreal either.

I grew up and lived in London. Mostly its a bit of excitement, a fair amount of pretension by people from around the world trying to be cooler than each other and a lot of day to day things that are a pain in the arse, like expensive housing and hellish commutes.

I can walk to nice restaurants, bars, commute to work on foot, go cycling on great paths, take my kid to several decent museums and nature parks and get a plane out of here if the quality of life all gets too much...

I think a lot of it is snobbery really. Its cool to say you live in London or Paris (as a number of friends do), but you still need to go to work, do your chores etc etc, so the time available for exciting stuff will always be limited unless you live on a trust fund.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Ottawa boring? Anywhere can be boring depending on your lifestyle. I have lived in Ottawa for 50 years so I must be the most boring person on this forum.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Jarvis.Wall is an unknown quantity at this point

And that's the thing Keith - I obviously don't know your exact situation, but Ottawa seems to me to be a place where people go to settle down get a government job and have a family - that's not 'boring' for everyone depending in where they are in life. It really feels sedentary which of course is appealing to many but has become quite tiresome to me and instead of retiring or whatever I want to get out there and see and do stuff in case my life is cut short by an errant bus or rare disease etc.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jarvis.Wall
And that's the thing Keith - I obviously don't know your exact situation, but Ottawa seems to me to be a place where people go to settle down get a government job and have a family - that's not 'boring' for everyone depending in where they are in life. It really feels sedentary which of course is appealing to many but has become quite tiresome to me and instead of retiring or whatever I want to get out there and see and do stuff in case my life is cut short by an errant bus or rare disease etc.
I came to Ottawa with a young family in 1963. I worked for 2 companies, Canadian Marconi and General Dynamics (not the civil service), and retired from the latter in 1992. At 82 I have seen much of this continent and spent several vacations in Europe but have always been glad that I chose to live here.
It has been very good for our family and both of our children got excellent educations and have raised families of their own.

Like most countries in the western world a lot has changed in Canada due to the influx of new immigrants that have brought many changes to cities. In the area I live there are a wide variety of immigrants and they have given us many new eateries and stores. It is a very different Ottawa than 50 years ago and personally I like most of the changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.