Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's best places to live

Canada's best places to live

Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada's best places to live

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Glad you asked as I want to know <jumping up and down>!!
I thought it must be one of those references you all know and I am too new to know...
No. I think it's got more to do with whatever her dealer is supplying her with at the moment.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

seducing the canine / "phucking the dog" / working for the gov't

government workers

Maybe it's west coast slang?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:56 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No. I think it's got more to do with whatever her dealer is supplying her with at the moment.

in which case 'step away from the canine' hot pea lady
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:58 pm

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
seducing the canine / "phucking the dog" / working for the gov't

government workers

Maybe it's west coast slang?
Ah! Not heard that one, but I likes it!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:00 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

in which case 'step away from the canine' hot pea lady
I like dogs but not that much.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:14 pm

I like dogs but not that much.
LOL, ok sorry <grovel>

(I didn't have you pegged as a govt worker anyway )
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:18 pm

Seducers of the canine and high tech is my guess.
Now that it's been explained to me, I don't quite follow your train of thought (not that I ever can). I know that most government workers are grossly overpaid for what little they actually do, but salaries in that sector arenot great. If anything, I would have expected the government effect to lower the average income.

I have a theory. Gatineau is a sizeable city (about 225,000). It is slap bang next to a much larger city with a big service industry (incl. government). Quebec has dirt cheap daycare, making it worthwhile for young mums to work, even if only part-time or in low-paid positions. There is plenty of evidence that many of them do. That may be least partly the reason for the higher household average.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I can well believe it. Vancouver is like the situation with the Emperor's New Clothes: once you set aside the slick hype and presentation and see it for what it is.....well you know the story.
Dingbat - can you tell me what is wrong with Vancouver, we have considered relocating there ourselves after spending a couple of weeks there 2 years ago and it would be good to hear some negative comments as 95% seem to be very positive about the place.

I find these surveys quite interesting, although I note that the leisure rankings seem to be based around walking to work, rain and temperature. Whilst these factors do have a substantial impact on my life, so does access to entertainment like theatre, cinema, international cuisine, cafe culture, interesting bookshops etc, let alone distance to skiing, hiking routes, international airports and on.

Living 100 yards from work in a dry warm area isn't much good if there is nothing to do or see.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:54 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What caught my eye in that survey was the median income. I can understand Wood Buffalo being top (That's where Fort McMurray is - oil boom town), Kitimat (port boom town) and Whitehorse (Northern allowance, I guess). What surprised me was Ottawa-Gatineau at number 4.
Ottawa's ranking shouldn't be a surprise since the area has had high incomes for a very long time. It's due to the high tech industry and very generous federal Government pensions.

A place to consider is Waterloo Region. Incomes there are well above the national average, has the country's 2nd lowest poverty rate, homes prices are below the national average, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada and the region is the 5th fastest growing in the nation.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 1st 2006 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Ottawa's ranking shouldn't be a surprise since the area has had high incomes for a very long time. It's due to the high tech industry and very generous federal Government pensions.

A place to consider is Waterloo Region. Incomes there are well above the national average, has the country's 2nd lowest poverty rate, homes prices are below the national average, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada and the region is the 5th fastest growing in the nation.
Didnt I read somewhere that it is also becoming one of the "research capitals" of Canada....it's slipped my mind now...but what was the name of that company that just built a huge research building and lab - connected with University of Waterloo I think....damn I cant remember the name now!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

How far is Red Deer from Calgary and what is it like/how does it differ from Calgary?

We are hopefully heading for Calgary and have visited there, but never been to Red Deer... would consider adding to possible destination list though...

cheers
Let's put it this way.....I just learned from my son that the teens from Calgary call it "Ded Reer"

< Ducks to avoid flying objects from Alberta_jaycee and PiffPoff; and in her defence cries "It wasn't me that said it - I'm just passing it on" >
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:01 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by willmore
Didnt I read somewhere that it is also becoming one of the "research capitals" of Canada....it's slipped my mind now...but what was the name of that company that just built a huge research building and lab - connected with University of Waterloo I think....damn I cant remember the name now!
Prolly something to do with that Lazaridis gent who founded RIM. He's an alumni of Waterloo Uni I think.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
The Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge Technologytriangle is nothing all that new.

I suspect you're thinking of Research in Motion (RIM).
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I'd forgotten about pensions.

Something I've just noticed in the survey that supports what you say (and blows my working mum theory out of the water) is that the incomes being quoted are not the arithmetical mean. They're the median. No wonder there are so many big houses going up around here.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:23 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

The only reason PEI isn't tops is we have no places over 10,000
Only 130,000 in whole province!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.