Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's Best Places to Live 2011

Canada's Best Places to Live 2011

Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Canada's Best Places to Live 2011

Best Places to Live 2011
http://www.moneysense.ca/2011/03/29/...-to-live-2011/
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's Best Places to Live 2011

La Tuque looks rather nice.

http://www.moneysense.ca/2011/03/15/...-tuque-quebec/

I'd sooner give it a go than plod through the years in Ottawa or Burlington.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:14 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

A location on NS's fabled North Shore, dead last? Surely shome mistake!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The thing makes me wonder about these lists is how much they change from year to year. Surely a decent place to live would not change that much in a short time?

I think Ottawa and Victoria has been top for a few years now, but other places seem to me to bounce around a fair bit. Leamington, now 47th, was top only a few years ago.

Then again, when I came to Quinte it was ranked the best place in Ontario, Ontario was rated best in Canada, and CAnada was #1 with the UN, so it was literally "The best place in the world". Downhill all the way since I turned up for some reason... Belleville is rated 55th on this iteration of the list, although I am a little suprised to see it ranked well for job prospects, but poorly for access to healthcare. I thought the opposite would be true based on local experience...

Another oddity is Kingston, rated 4 for access to healthcare is only a 45 minute drive away, and much of our health care is based on access to the same consultants there anyway... Belleville rated at 139th.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 4th 2011 at 1:19 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is "there is not a BEST place to live".
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite happy to see that Calgary has fallen out of the top ten.

But Edmonton (8) ahead of Calgary (16) and Vancouver (29).
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all nonsense really- how can they make a decision without a "best for the children" category?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:04 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm i'm surprised that my little oasis is nowhere on that list.

That's ok, we like to keep 'the middle of bum f**k nowhere' our little secret.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:00 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Wasnt Vancouver no.1 and Calgary No.5 in the top places in the world to live? but are not in the top 10 places to live in Canada..how does that work?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Wasnt Vancouver no.1 and Calgary No.5 in the top places in the world to live? but are not in the top 10 places to live in Canada..how does that work?
Perhaps because this list is aimed at people who have to pay their own way, rather than execs with corporate expense accounts and gold amex cards on temporary international assignment?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point

New Glasgow came 180th. Not much of a change from Old Glasgow then.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:08 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

See, I keep telling you how bloody brilliant Manitoba is and you won't listen will you
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:35 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's all nonsense really- how can they make a decision without a "best for the children" category?
Absolutely correct.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Originally Posted by Tangram
Absolutely correct.
I disagree.

Isn't it written in the immigrants handbook that Canada is universally "best for the children" so when choosing a locale within Canada this is a moot point.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I disagree.

Isn't it written in the immigrants handbook that Canada is universally "best for the children" so when choosing a locale within Canada this is a moot point.
As always we bow to your superior knowledge and judgment Obi-Wan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.